It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going to the G20 protest.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
So the weekend upon us.
I agreed months ago to go on this adventure with my GF's uncle.
Now personally, I will not be so much "pro-testing" as it is documenting.
However, these last few days it really really seems like the universe is trying to tell me NOT TO GO THERE.
Monday night I went to a gas station and there was some ruffians, my gut feeling was I should have just kept going, but i needed those smokes now.
THe guys tried to get me to buy cigarettes for them while the guy was right there.
In turn, these guys tried to lure me into the shadows by the building to have a "chat".
I got in my car and flipped em one, ironically I seen a good friend of mine on the way out of the gas station so if I did in fact get into trouble, I had a big man behind thank god.
That night I went to bed telling my self.
For now I'm going to trust my gut feeling.
Well low and behold, I'm watching BBC news, reading the sub-line about how they arrested a man in the GTA for explosives. This shook me a bit.
The immediate line after that was a earth quake reported across the GTA. Now I didn't feel this as I was in the car.
However many of my friends did.
At this point I'm thinking could this be an omen of what is to come?
And of course after that a few tornado's touch down the same time.
Maybe the people of the past weren't so crazy for following these signs.

I must let you guys know ( if you already don't) we spent ONE BILLION DOLLARS on security. 1/4 what we put into direct job creation this year.
They have bought sound cannons. They have also bought water cannons on top of this. Lets not forget the thousands of security guards that they hired from a BC security company.

I will be honest.I have this feeling in my gut saying...Don't go.
But it is my duty as this year I will be heading into college for a 3 year journalism course. One day I wish to do something along the lines of foreign correspondent. So I might as well go into one of the risky situations on my front porch.

Much of my family is worried my Girlfriend included.
I will be tagging along a friend to. My main goal is to get some really good shots of the protest.
And in case anything does go down get it on camera.
I have to say, the G20 causes problems alone, but they have SHUT DOWN our core.
Those leaders are going to come see a GHOST CITY.
They have put up concrete walls all around the city, and set up a protest area.
In conclusion, wish me your luck, I think I'm going to need it.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by tribaltrip]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Whatever vehicle you are taking, clean it thoroughly first
That guy they arrested for "explosives" had a car full of tools, a chainsaw, 3 gas cans, 2 water containers, an oar, pellet rifle, hatchet, suitcases, and his dog. They took him in for questioning, took his dog somewhere else (they say so it could be cared for).

Be careful, if you even have a toolkit in your car/truck it could be considered a weapon. Don't take your dog if you have one.

If you go, good luck.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
We plan on parking Far from the actual zone and walking there.
No sense in risking getting the vehicle locked in there if SHTF.
Originally I planned on bringing a flask.
I'm starting to think that might Be a bad Idea
Not sure what to bring starting to think just the camera and its case.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I went to the G20 protests in London which despite the media coverages reporting were pretty tame. I've been to protests but nothing like this. I was essentially a protest tourist, no chanting or banners, just taking it all in.

I'm glad i went, it was an eye opener into what a police state could possibly look like.

My advice would be to go and just hang around on the fringes, as soon as you see the police prepping the riot gear, get out

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
My family and friends are praying for a safe summit from home. I would suggest you don't go unless you're protesting. If you do go don't take your $10.000 dollar camera, take some fun savers that are water proof, water bottles, snackes that aren't sharp or gun-shaped, ATM card ,no cash, I.D. and the Love of God. A change of clothes left in the car. In my OP it's going to be like the end of a Rolling Stones concert that sucked due to tear gas and heavy rain. Good Luck Brampton, Love Georgetown.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Thank you guys for your advice,
Change of clothes in the car, excellent Idea.
Like I said, I do not intend to protest, but rather get a real angle from the scene. World issues are a big part of my life along with politics, so I sense I should go down there and try and see the show go down. I want to show you guys first hand what a BILLION dollars in security looks like.
After reading HST for a few years, I fear I maybe in his shoes when he was involved in a protest in Washington.
I live in Brampton, so Toronto streets are actually pretty foreign for me.
Thank you everyone.
There will be a follow up to the event for sure.
And hey I'd like to think I was an "ATS rep" for the event.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Posting from Oakville.

I want to go. I want to protest but I fear that there will be either a) a genuine terrorist attack (unlikely) or b) A violent riot induced by either agent provocateurs or stupid citizens (more likely).

top topics

join