It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Clarification

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
(This is a post I made in that thread, but I don't believe it will receive as much fanfare as the first few pages of that thread, so I decided to make a whole new thread in order to flesh out the argument being presented here.)

Link

(Now I'm not certain as to WHY the OP decided to make an example of the gay rights movement; but I can see the argument.)

I think a lot of you are missing the point being illustrated here. Which is to say that the Democratic system can be manipulated.

And BECAUSE it can be manipulated, it is flawed. -- Along with the fact that if the Democratic process IS implemented accordingly then, by default, it would infringe upon our rights.

If the Majority says you can't get married because you are gay, and the government upholds that, you are being discriminated against.

-----
The example being drawn is that while a majority OPPOSES it, the minority is winning. Which, if you look at the bare comparison, DOES ignore democratic process. It sheds the win to the minority. Similar to how the healthcare bill got passed, regardless of the fact that majority voted against it.

Not to say that there is anything wrong with being gay; but the point is that this undermining of the democratic process could be used as a form of easing people into the concept of having the majority rule overthrown. Basically on any issue.
-----

You get it now?

I mean, I personally believe democracy is horse****. Gays have their rights written right into the constitution. Everyone is created equally.

-----
But the main thing here is how MINORITY RULE is trumping MAJORITY RULE.
-----

If nothing else ... it IS unDemocratic. If a movement supported by the minority wins ... it shows Democracy is a lie. If a movement, such as the one being discussed, loses ... like it has been losing in many places, it shows that Democracy can be used to infringe upon our rights.

Lol, but like I said, **** democracy. We can do much better than that, imo.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by SentientBeyondDesign]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SentientBeyondDesign

I'll bite, I know I'm gonna regret it, but I'll bite.

First, let's hear your plan for doing better than democracy (ignoring the fact that the US is supposed to be a Republic, not a Democracy).

Second, you make a GREAT point, and it isn't just Gay Rights, it is Healthcare, it is removing all religious reference, it is education, it is every Politically Correct-Common Sense murdering issue out there! One squeeky wheel can derail the whole dam democracy train in our current environment!

Lastly, the entire Gay Marriage debate is a press favorite, but a legal non-issue. Christians oppose the term "marriage." Fine, let them have the term, let it have biblical implications, make "marriages" be confined to churches. Now, Gay "Unions" are another story, and the problem with them comes in the form of tax relief. Procreating families were granted special tax rights, because they made new tax payers and laborers and soldiers. Nowadays many heterosexual couples don't procreate, and many gay couples adopt, so the line is entirely obscured. If we fix that line to extend benefits to "families with children" and ignore the marriage aspect and if we concede the term "marriage" to church unions, then we really do not have anything left to debate do we?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Threads about threads...

A perfectly good place to post your sentiments...

Thread closed.

new topics

join