It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane in Gulf 'astonishingly high'-US scientist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Methane in Gulf 'astonishingly high'-US scientist

www.reuters.com

"We saw them approach a million times above background concentrations" in some areas, Kessler said.

"There is an incredible amount of methane in there," Kessler told reporters in a telephone briefing.

In some areas, the crew of 12 scientists found concentrations that were 100,000 times higher than normal.

The scientists were looking for signs that the methane gas had depleted levels of oxygen dissolved in the water needed to sustain marine life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.godlikeproductions.com

[edit on 23-6-2010 by theregonnakillme]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Well ladies and gentlemen, I think it is time that we stopped talking about things and started to think about what we are going to do. A week ago we were pulling people apart for getting ppm confused with ppb. If you remember they said levels were 1500 ppb and the safe level was 3ppm and people went nuts.

Now the scientists are saying the level is 1,000,000 higher than normal background levels. To me that says it is time to plan the E.L.E Party, go buy your favourite food and drink and invite your friends.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Methane is a greenhouse gas. It's going to make the atmosphere trap more heat from the sun. This is not good, at all.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
We might have just out done ourselves finally...

Lets hope not!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Yep! At 100k bpd we have 7 X the daily amount of green house emissions of NYC being leaked each day... Now because it's drenched in oil... 10-50% of that will make it to the surface

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Whats an E.L.E party?

2nd

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nomad451
Whats an E.L.E party?

2nd

I would like to know this aswell ?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Whats an E.L.E party?

2nd

E.L.E. (Extinction Level Event)
E.L.E

[edit on 23/6/10 by WishForWings]

[edit on 23/6/10 by WishForWings]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Whats an E.L.E party?

2nd

E.L.E. = "Extinction-Level Event."

Like when Mother Earth says, "You two-legged carnivorous apes want oil? FINE, HERE YA GO!"

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

I live in Roatan in the South Western Caribbean, when we have a hurricane we all go to the beach bar and have a hurricane party and get seriously wasted while being hammered by the wind.

An E.L.E Party would be an Extinction Level Event Party I guess you could also call it an End of the World Party or "When ever you want something it is always late except of course 2012 - Bring on the Party", that kind of thing.

Seriously if this continues there is no point trying to survive, If you are not one of the chosen few (taken to a bunker) then enjoy what is left of our time, be nice to your fellow humans and animals, and go out with a smile on your face.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Wow, I've been watching and RECORDING Ocean Intervention III ROV 1 and it's finding methane hydrate leaks quite a ways away from the BOP. Looks pretty bad, got so thick the ROV couldn't even see the ground below, looked like it wandered into a room filled with thick white smoke. (btw, don't confuse the turbulence from the rovers as any of that when that's the case) Looks like they have been dropping sensors into the gulf and when they find a high concentration, they send a ROV to investigate.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Well live in the moment. Hope you've all been doing that in the past too

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by theregonnakillme
Seriously if this continues there is no point trying to survive, If you are not one of the chosen few (taken to a bunker) then enjoy what is left of our time, be nice to your fellow humans and animals, and go out with a smile on your face.

I agree. I live in the middle of a huge city and will be a sitting duck when the Zombie Apocalypse finally comes. The Nightwalkers will chew through my building's tragically-thin walls and airconditioning ducts and have me for breakfast in no time.

Given that, may I humbly suggest the following E.L.E. strategy, strictly for those of legal age and suitable inclination, of course:

In a frosted highball glass, pour the following:
1 shot of gin
1 shot of brandy
1 shot of dark rum
Lime juice to taste
1 dash bitters
Fill the remainder of the glass with ginger ale.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Soon Zombies will be the least of your troubles.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
So from what i found to get our BIG BOOM

Earths atmosphere contains 0.00017% methane
earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

According to wikipedia As a gas it is flammable only over a narrow range of concentrations (5–15%) in air.
en.wikipedia.org...

So from my calculations its currently

100,000 x 0.00017% = 0.17%

So if we want our big BOOM in the area it has to be 2,950,000 times the normal methane in the area

Still a way to go
Hope my calculations are right

[edit on 23-6-2010 by bluedrake] Oh sorry just read the entire article, some places are 1million times the normal amount, that means one third of the way to our BIG BOOM

[edit on 23-6-2010 by bluedrake]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Given that, may I humbly suggest the following E.L.E. strategy, strictly for those of legal age and suitable inclination, of course:

In a frosted highball glass, pour the following:
1 shot of gin
1 shot of brandy
1 shot of dark rum
Lime juice to taste
1 dash bitters
Fill the remainder of the glass with ginger ale.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Soon Zombies will be the least of your troubles.

Don't forget to add 1 shot of 10W-30 Motor Oil, a splash of Benzene, and shake it with some tax money before serving it. I'm all for an ELE Party, but I had more of a 'Road Warrior' kind of forte' in mind. If society does collapse, I want to ride around on one of these improvised dune buggies and raise a little hell before I choke to death in Oxygen depravation.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Has anyone been watching Ocean Intervention III ROV 1? That methane isn't coming up through fissures any more, it's seeping up from the sediment on the ground all over the place. It makes what is coming out of that BOP look like a tiny drippy faucet. It's unreal, and I've been recording it all tonight and I can't even believe my eyes. Unbelievable, and it can only keep getting worse. In some places around that site, you'd think there was a huge underground fire sending smoke upwards through the ground.

I'd advise everyone has a few methane detectors and mount them under a window in your home or low near a door. An early alert and escape might save your life .. for a while anyhow.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Wouldn't there have to be fissures beneath the sediment then for that to be occuring...ie just can't see them due to rubble /sediment obscuring them ?

I wonder if the methan is exiting through fissures that were pre-existing, perhaps those caused by the initial blow out, or does the methane actually MAKE new fissures as it moves up ?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
There's a lot of sediment atop that rock below, so one would have to think that it's coming from under the sediment. When they blew that well they likely released a path for it to eventually find its way to the surface through cracks and crevasses . And because it was so far below, it's likely taken this long to work itself out and upwards as the well below erodes away.

It's pretty scary looking. I watched that ROV head out to one of those sensors they dropped from above and the view was pretty clear until it wandered into that area. You could see that stuff coming up like bubbles in the sediment .. I saw what looked like little craters left behind when the bubbles came through that sediment. Parts of that floor looked like bubbling pudding. As the ROV proceeded things began to become really cloudy with chunks of white stuff raining back down. That area was pretty huge. I recorded it all so later I can go back and look at it some more and use the position data to determine how wide that area is right now.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

"Here's a listing of several scientific and economic guides for estimating the volume of flow of the leak in the Gulf of Mexico erupting at a rate of somewhere around 1 million barrels per day. A new video released shows the largest hole spewing oil and natural gas from an aperture 5 feet in diameter at a rate of approximately 4 barrels per second. The oil coming up through 5,000 feet of pressurized salt water acts like a fractionating column. What you see on the surface is just around 20% of what is actually underneath the approximate 9,000 square miles of slick on the surface. The natural gas doesn't bubble to the top but gets suspended in the water, depleting the oxygen from the water. BP would not have been celebrating with execs on the rig just prior to the explosion if it had not been capable producing at least 500,000 barrels per day — under control. If the rock gave way due to the out-of-control gushing (or due to a nuke being detonated to contain the leak), it could become a Yellowstone Caldera type event, except from below a mile of sea, with a 1/4-mile opening, with up to 150,000 psi of oil and natural gas behind it, from a reserve nearly as large as the Gulf of Mexico containing trillions of barrels of oil. That would be an Earth extinction event."

hardware.slashdot.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

The pipe is actually 21 inches in diameter; and the high end estimated total leakage is in the range of 3.4 million gallons/day

here's the edited version of above article,
www.examiner.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join