It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black holes can help you exceed the speed of light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I will try and explain to you guys why the jets of a black hole are so fast. O.k. I think they are so fast because of a thing called a gravitational assist.

When matter comes into a black hole they tend to come in at high speeds. I believe that a black hole, if it is consuming to much at one time can create a gravitational assist around the singularity and bring it back out of the black hole.

Because of the massive amount of gravity in a gravitational singularity it can slingshot the object back to, I believe, faster than the speed of light.

The problem with things passing the speed of light it is because of the increasing inertial mass an object gains. This object doesn't actually gain mass but it becomes harder to move. The mass itself is going toward the object nonetheless and can't be stopped due to the amount of gravity. This is due to the effect of spacetime bending. This is caused by mass and because mass is still mass it will continue to have that gravitational pull so it will allow you to exceed light speed.

So I say by using gravity we can go and slingshot around the singularity right out of the event horizon and into space at speeds faster than light.

Well that's it I hoped you guys enjoyed it.

Here is a link for the gravitational assist information...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Really no replies? No contributions, questions, comments, concerns, conundrums?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
You as an entity would cease to exist long before your speed nears the speed of light. Even if your gravitational assist exists, it only means you would be pulled apart in two directions instead of one.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by debris765nju
You as an entity would cease to exist long before your speed nears the speed of light. Even if your gravitational assist exists, it only means you would be pulled apart in two directions instead of one.

I am sure you are talking about tidal forces so here is my rebuttal.

Tidal forces like any other forces can be balanced. As gravity pulls you toward the black hole you can create an accelerating force behind you to match the power of gravity with the black hole.

To find out how much force needed I would plot the levels of gravitational pull as you get closer to the black hole. Then I would plot how elongated you would be as you got closer. Then I would see how much of an accelerating force there would be needed to maintain your structure, and just keep increasing as we near the black hole.

top topics

join