Huge UFO Database in DOS - Someone's labour of love, can it be saved?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnthraAndromda
This is still being worked on?

Hi AnthraAndromda,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question - my life has been a bit hectic recently.

Anyway, the current position is that, as a result of generous technical assistance on this forum, I have:

(1) Larry Hatch's database running on several of my modern computers (up to and including a 64 bit Windows 7 machine). I was also able to post a guide in this thread (and on a couple of other forums, giving credit to help from ATS members) to help other people that own Larry Hatch's database to get it running on their modern (non-DOS) computers.

(2) converted much of the data in Larry's database to various formats, including most simply and usefully for my purposes, a 1,208 page PDF file listing each entry in chronological order.

From reading there seems to be some copyright issues. Y'all should know that databases typically only have their structure copyrighted. Typically, all data is public domain.

Well, I think the person that spent a heck of a lot of time condensing and compiling information into that database (Larry Hatch) takes a different view and he has not (so far...) been willing to give permission for the free sharing of the data within his database.

I haven't given up hope that Larry can be persuaded to share his database - or at least update it and make it available online in one of various possible ways.

edit on 31-8-2012 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum