It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: July 2011 Afghan Withdrawal 'Firm'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

White House: July 2011 Afghan Withdrawal 'Firm'

www.newsmax.com

The Obama administration is reaffirming its pledge to begin pulling U.S. troops out of Afghanistan next summer.

But the Pentagon and the White House are still saying different things about how many troops will leave — and when.

President Barack Obama's chief of staff tells ABC's "This Week" that the July 2011 date to begin withdrawal is firm. Emanuel isn't disputing quoted remarks from Vice President Joe Biden that "a whole lot" of troops would leave.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I think this whole withdrawal is a farse. What will most likely happen, is that Obama will send a combat brigade or two home, then use some fancy words to rename the mission and in the end, it really won't be any different than before. The Obama government is famous for doing those kinds of things and the sad thing is, the American people will eat it all up, hook, line and sinker.

There is no way that we will be leaving Afghanistan when the Caspian NG pipeline is not completed or guarded and when there is at least $3 trillion dollars in minerals in "them there hills". Instead, some words will be twisted around and other buzz words added to make the mission sound less important or US intensive, while still amounting to the same war in all reality. Americans will be fighting and dying in the "Gateway to the East" for some time to come or at least until we can install a brutal dictator that can oppress the Afghan people and sell American corporations their resources for pennies on the dollar.

--airspoon

www.newsmax.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Just in time for elections!

Way to go Obama!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This is what I believe he is going to: Bring home troops from both Afganistan and Iraq, in July, that way in November/Jan, he can if he is running, state that he kept his promise to bring the troops home, and gather a voting bloc.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Of course they aren't going to bring the all of the troops home, as they don't need to. All they really need to do, is rename the mission to make it sound like only a small contengency force is to remain, when in all reality, it is the same thing that was in place before the alleged "withdrawal". They did it in Iraq and it worked, why would they not do it in Afghanistan as well?

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Operation Mineral Rights Recovery to begin in 3, 2...

I agree that this is nothing more than a political stunt to keep his rating from dropping all the way down to single digit percentages. He has been campaigning for the next election since his second day in office. Why stop now.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The troops are never coming home. If and when things ever settle down in Iraq and Afghanistan they'll still be needed to guard the people guarding the corporate interests and the water, gas, and oil pipelines. Fact is this is our perpetual "war," and it will never be over. Next we move on to Iran, Syria, the Baby-stans, and probably even Pakistan. That's going to take a long, long time. Get used to it, along with the political machinations and maneuvering around it.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

This is what I believe he is going to: Bring home troops from both Afganistan and Iraq, in July, that way in November/Jan, he can if he is running, state that he kept his promise to bring the troops home, and gather a voting bloc.

My predictions all along.

My bet is Obama keeps his promise.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I doubt the military industrial complex who helps finance the U.S. politicians will leave Afghanistan after the recent discovery of trillions of dollars of natural resources in that land.

This is almost a slap in the face to anyone who has any inkling of how the system works.

We need to audit our politicians, as well as the federal reserve (and eventually end it). We need to eliminate anyone who has a conflict of interest with our nation's true security and sovereignty, receiving money from corporations tied into the military industrial complex.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
The troops are never coming home.

Iraq? Never...

There will be atleast 50k troops there for decades to come. I mean, it's the largest American embassy on the planet. Military base... Mass housing... Gov't buildings... Eateries... Malls!!

These aren't pole and tarp barracks.. They are made with cement and blood.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Well this makes sense, by July of 2011 the government will be admittedly broke, so pulling out will be a must anyway. Every person I talk to who is in a position to know is looking at our debt situation as the marker that signals our forfeiture of this conflict, not some political victory, not a military victory.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

You think its a farce, I 100% know it is BS.

WASHINGTON — US Defense Secretary Robert Gates rejected suggestions Sunday that US forces will move out of Afghanistan in large numbers in July of next year under a deadline set by President Barack Obama.
"That absolutely has not been decided," Gates said in an interview with Fox News Sunday.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Yes, the US is in Iraq for the loooooooooooooooong haul, bar some unforeseen event. My brother-in-law spent 3 months in Iraq recently. He's an army major and a dentist. His job was to remain in his compound for 3 months and do dental work on soldiers, prisoners and the local civilians. He emailed me a photo of his dinner plate one night. He said it was a typical dinner for him. On his plate were two lobster tails. Wow. I was in Iraq at the wrong time I guess.

airspoon, also don't forget to consider the vast poppy fields and marijuana fields our soldiers are there protecting, too.

The US is not going to unass the area anytime soon. So much has been invested there. Lives, money, time.

I just wish my former brothers in arms would realize what is going on and stop sending their own kids to these wars. Tools and fools. I was one, too. Looking back, I realize I should have listened to the old vets at the time. Now I am one of what I once considered were doddering old disgruntled vets.

Evil countries want to destory the American way of life and take over the country because they hate our freedom. We must defend our lives and liberties at all costs.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Your right, the poppy fields of course but those could be moved into Iran once regime change happens in that country. However, I highly doubt that Obama has anything to do with the opium trade. I don't know for sure but that's my hunch. I think the poppies and opium are stricktly CIA and possibly neo-con. For this reason, I don't think the poppy fields will play a role is a decision on whether to remain or leave Afghanistan.

As far as the food, I had always noticed goos food on the bases. The civilian contractors serving food sure did it right, though I didn't see lobster tails. I did however see king crab legs and jumbo shrimp. Of course food at the FOB and outposts were crap, including MREs. How was he lucky enough to get only a three month tour?

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
And the Pentagon is saying... BS.

US officials downplay July 2011 withdrawal from Afghanistan

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates rejected suggestions Sunday that US forces will move out of Afghanistan in large numbers in July of next year under a deadline set by President Barack Obama.

"That absolutely has not been decided," Gates said in an interview with Fox News Sunday.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Yes, but don't get me started on that embassy.... It's just mindboggling how expensive and how permanent it is. Is there one or one going up in Afghanistan too?

new topics

top topics

join