It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regan's Death, Bush, and The Public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
National Mourning Helps Bush Politically for Now Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:16 PM ET
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A week of national mourning for Ronald Reagan has helped President Bush politically by shunting Democrat John Kerry to the sidelines and driving bad news from Baghdad off the front pages.

Dang it. Oh well, I hate Kerry too.
In addition I have this to say:
I know former President Regan obviously just passed away, but the extremity level people are taking it to is a bit to high. Bush has made everyone fly the flag on half (saddness) staf for god-only-knows how long and there are ceremonies across the US. The stock markets, mail, and countless other government services don't have work. I bet if you asked a Cuban or Russian about Regan they woulden't be the most friendly person to you. Regan was a good president, but his death dosen't have to be in the news constantly and spontainously! Sorry if I offend anyone with this post. I just believe the American public is making to big of a deal out of it all.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

...Bush has made everyone fly the flag on half...

Bush made nobody do this, he followed standard operating procedures. This is something that is done regardless of who is president and is done for national leaders as a show of great respect. If Clinton died tomorrow, I'm almost positive the same would be done for him, as was done for Kennedy, and others. Section 7(m) of title 4, United States Code covers this:

(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. In the event of the death of a present or former official of any city or other locality, the chief elected official of that locality may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day.

House Rpt.108-411 - COMMUNITY RECOGNITION ACT OF 2003

seekerof

[edit on 12-6-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

...Bush has made everyone fly the flag on half...

Bush made nobody do this[edit on 12-6-2004 by Seekerof]

Hmm, think about it. There have been many times when out government has not followed its own laws.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
That may be so, but has that happened in relation to flying the flag at half-mast for a national leader?

seekerof

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I don't think there's anything unusual going on here. I remember in 1994 when Nixon died. The stock markets closed and the USA had a 'national day of mouring' just like we did on Friday. (I remember this because I had just begun a new job in a finanical services company and I was happy to get a day off)

The same thing will happen when any of the other 5 living presidents leaves us for the great celestial dirt nap.

From a media perspective, it's probably true that the story was a bit overplayed this week, but it's better than "tragedy TV " like OJ or Laci Peterson.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Philosci,
It's not just President's who have a national day of mourning. When the Challenger went down, there was mourning and flag's at half staff. I'm sure if we had a Governor or Senator die there would be a state day of mourning. Mayors die and cities follow the same S.O.P.
Heck Las Vegas dimmed their lights for 3 minutes last night as a show of respect for the man who headlined there in the 50s and was later our 40th President..

Another sign of respect is to spell the President's name correctly : REAGAN, not Regan. Maybe you can correct your post?

I think our flags will be half-staff for one month, BTW.

Now, the media should all go away. The drive any and all stories right into the ground. And they can keep their editorial BS. C-SPAN rules for these occasions!!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I've got to agree about C-SPAN! Free from spin...3 cheers for Brian Lamb!

They were even playing Lyndon Johnson's state funeral on C-SPAN2 this week to give the a bit of perspective to the Reagan funeral.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoonieSkoba
I've got to agree about C-SPAN! Free from spin...3 cheers for Brian Lamb!

They were even playing Lyndon Johnson's state funeral on C-SPAN2 this week to give the a bit of perspective to the Reagan funeral.

I don't think it had anything to do with perspective. I got the idea that they were needing funeral filler since the Reagan funeral was all but over.
"What, no more Reagan funeral footage? Quick, play that old Johnson footage! Whew, that was close."

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The media and government just try to keep the public in their viod of falseness. Remember, Deny Igonrance is not of that. Both Nixon and Regan were also rich republicans, now think about that.....

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

signature
Philosophy, thinking, debate, conspiracies, science....
INTELLIGENT SKEPTIC

I plead to your intelligence: correct yuour spelling---it is REAGAN!!!!

Last Patriot, it is more to do with perspective than anything you said. Many of us had never seen a Presidential funeral in their lifetime. I remeber Kennedy, but only barely. Truman did not have a large state funeral, per his wife's wishes. Eisenhower I don't remember. So, the most recent would have been Johnson. If I remember correctly, Nixon's funeral was not nearly as lavish as Reagan's, probably due to his resignation.

new topics

top topics

join