It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's First Solar Sail Photographed in Deep Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

This is pretty cool...

A tiny space camera has snapped amazing photos of the world's first solar sail spacecraft to voyage into deep space on an interplanetary mission for Japan.

The solar sail vehicle, named Ikaros, took the opportunity for a self-portrait by deploying a free-floating cylindrical camera just 2.4 inches (6 cm) in both width and height. In the photos, the Ikaros sail shines like a gleaming silver ship in a sea of black space.

The spring-launched camera snapped the new photos of the solar sail as the mission departs for Venus and beyond.

www.space.com...

www.lifeslittlemysteries.com...

Some extra info on solar sails here..

[edit on 19-6-2010 by baddmove]

[edit on 19-6-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Very cool!

Go Japan, do it up!
We ain't tryin anything new, you guys can catch up in no time.
Just think of the awesome games they make, use that imagination in a space program, that's how you get man into deep space.

Great pic thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Very cool. How big is the craft and is it now moving by solar wind or still momentum from launch/

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I wonder what it's velocity is ?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

All i could find with my first cup of coffee was this so far..

compared to the 700-pound (315 kg) Ikaros.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Ikaros
Will it fly too close to the sun and burn up, do we think

I thought solar sails were already in use. Too much tv, I suppose.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Looks like they got the idea from Eve-Online, a ship called the Zephyr.

Picture of spacecraft here

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Thanks hope you enjoyed your coffee I'm now enjoying a cold carlsberg ( well it is Saturday night in the UK now) Its hard to tell by the pics how large this device is. I thought I read some time ago that these type of sail ships would have huge unfolded sails to capture the light.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Very cool. How big is the craft and is it now moving by solar wind or still momentum from launch/

I found this information about the small solar power sail demonstrator "IKAROS" on JAXA's website:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42f0247cc746.jpg[/atsimg]

A Solar Sail gathers sunlight as propulsion by means of a large membrane while a Solar "Power" Sail gets electricity from thin film solar cells on the membrane in addition to acceleration by solar radiation. What's more, if the ion-propulsion engines with high specific impulse are driven by such solar cells, it can become a "hybrid" engine that is combined with photon acceleration to realize fuel-effective and flexible missions.

www.jaxa.jp...

And IKAROS should now be moving "by itself", since it was confirmed by June 10 that is was successfully expanded and generating power power through its solar cells.
www.jaxa.jp...

Also a BBC article here about IKAROS:
news.bbc.co.uk...

I think this is a very cool project! No need for fuel and rocket engines, lots of resources saved, and the lenght of missions could be expanded a great deal with this smart way of travelling through space.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Thanks for that, so its not small at 20m squared. I wonder how long it will take to reach the speed of light.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Thanks Ziggy..

good info there..

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It has been Years and Years since they announced the solar sail it is so cool to see it ! Thank you !

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Sunlight at Earth's orbit has the weight of a cigarette paper on an area the size of an acre (220X220 yards) so not much speed. I wont bother my son as regards working out the sail size for that weight. I would think it would be just too huge, and too heavy for a launch vehicle anyway.
Sunlight 'thrust' only works one way, away from the sun.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

yea..it does kinda look JUST like that ship..

are they pulling our leg?

that is to much of a coincidence..

or could just be me..

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
now thats what im talkin about. the US spends millions thinking and developing. then asking for more money.
JAXA goes and tries it..

go get em JAXA..

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by KATSUO

nasa tried to launch their solar sail about a year ago but the rocket blew up.

They have a backup sail which is ready theyre waiting for a launch slot.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by KATSUO
now thats what im talkin about. the US spends millions thinking and developing. then asking for more money.
JAXA goes and tries it..

go get em JAXA..

I trust JAXA more than NASA because they have honor and won't deceiver others. Plus they are not cheap and always invent new things. Not like the Americans and use old technology and consider it "new".

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

You're in for a rude shock then.

NASA and JAXA share an extremely close relationship.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Not the future of space flight but a very unique spacecraft, Ion propulsion is the future. Deep Space One the demonstater is now the fastest man made object created.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Yeah man, I think it does myself.

The wind sail may not be the exact same shape but its the exact same design. I think the Zephyr looks better though. Maybe its about time NASA/ESA started building space craft in space.

[edit on 25/6/2010 by the_denv]

top topics

join