It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just another newbie intro....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Hello ATS. been out here a little while reading the threads. Signed up a few weeks ago. While I am just no making my introduction, I have made some comments on a few threads and am only about 7 or 8 comments away from my 20 minimum to start a new thread.

Thought it about time to introduce myself to you all, so here goes.

I am a Southern Conservative who now lives in New England. You can probably figure out where by my handle. I miss living down south. I miss my fellow southerners, Louisiana cooking, and the weather. I am part Texan, but being born and raised in Louisiana, consider myself both since I lived approx half my life in each state and have a Grandmother who is a Texan.

Whenever I see a thread disparaging Southerners, the hair on the back of my neck stands up. I can tell all my bretheren back home that a great many New England Liberal Elites exhibit far more ignorance and only think they are superior. Many are just plain rude and obnoxious and have never heard of okra. I huess they fon't serve fried okra at the buffet line at the Harvard cafeteria.

So now that is out in the open, I really enjoy reading all of the opinions on ATS. This is a very diverse community who for the most part is very well informed and I am grateful for that. I don't always have time to peruse the news and other media outlets for the most current of information. I am enjoying all of the speculation surrounding what is going on in the Gulf region. Some of it I agree with, some I just shake my head at and other opinions just make me think "what if?". I look forward to continued participation here on ATS and hope that ya'll will welcome me into the family.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Welcome to one of the best forums on the web.

But what is up with this ?

Originally posted by vtcajun

Whenever I see a thread disparaging Southerners, the hair on the back of my neck stands up. I can tell all my bretheren back home that a great many New England Liberal Elites exhibit far more ignorance and only think they are superior. Many are just plain rude and obnoxious and have never heard of okra. I huess they fon't serve fried okra at the buffet line at the Harvard cafeteria.

That seems like a lot of unsolicited hostility for a introduction thread.
Or was that just a joke?

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Rafe_]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

I saw a thread , I think yesterday, that had some disparaging remarks about stupid southerners as a generalization. i think it may have been the NC fellow that saw bigfoot while drinking. Anyway, it just stuck with me as I have seen a few other offhand remarks as well.

Not meant to be hostile. Just been bugging me. Living up here I fight this prejudice daily. Just get anoyed when I see it in a forum of people who are 99.99% upstanding and tolerant. Sorry for the editorial. just had to get it off my chest.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by vtcajun

I understand now.

Generalizations are a fact of life ,we all know that ofcourse,Even on ATS .They are most often used by people who feel that they are losing the argument.It is easier to deal with this if one keeps that in mind.

Still on ATS i find that these kind of things are less of a problem then on any other site since it is pretty much self regulated by the users most of the time and the mods do a great job and luckily even participate in the discussions.

So lets get your intro back on track

What interests you the most on here ?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

Past civilizations and what was lost and are we on the verge of losing it again is a big interest. History in general I guess. Not up on a lot of history on a global scale. The bug has just bitten me in the last few years to start learning more.
Conspiracy theories have some interest, but some I see just make me laugh.
Current events and Politics is always a good topic for me as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

Also intersted in different cultures and how they live. I do a lot of globe trotting and enjoy talking to other people to see how they live, their concerns, the issues, etc. Very interesting.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Hi Vtcajun!! I'm new on here too. I just keep in mind that some people type before they think or maybe they think their funny. It is not nice to insult people - we should all know that.

Good to meet 'ya!! See ya on the threads!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynzer

Nice to meet you Lynzer. Thanks for the welcome and advice.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Welcome to the madness.

There is cold beer and pizza in the frig.
Let the cat out before you turn in for the night.
Oh and no shoes on the couch.

Peace

Slay

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Hello and welcome, Hopefully with all the influx of new members we can start to have a more varied discussion around here.
Anyways, hello again, kick back and relax

top topics

join