It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church plays politics in Cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Catholic Church plays politics in Cuba

www.globalpost.com

HAVANA, Cuba — For years, the Catholic Church has been a quiet presence in Cuban affairs, working carefully to regain a place in a communist-run system that formerly persecuted religious believers. Church leaders have succeeded largely by attending to Cubans’ spiritual needs, not their earthly politics.

But that role has changed abruptly in recent weeks. A new dialogue has opened up between Catholic officials and the Castro government, elevating the church’s role in Cuban society and...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

This is good anyway you look at it, IMO. You can't really argue against the release of political prisoners, though I'm sure some non-Catholics might be concerned with any influence the Church may have on Cuban policy, particularly domestic policy. Really, I don't think Cuba can go anywhere but up and since they haven't gone anywhere at all in over half of a century, moving anywhere at this point is a step in the right direction. Maybe this will usher in a new era for the Cuban people.

I know that many members don't trust the Catholic Church but wouldn't any movement at all, in any direction, as far as Cuban policy be good for the Cuban people? Maybe this will be a catalyst for something even larger and more positive.

What do the members think? Is this a step in the right direction or a dangerous venture for the Cuban government?

--airspoon

www.globalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Given the history of the catholic church meddling in the politics of many nations around the world .. And the bloodshed theyve caused and continue to cause.. I feel sorry for the cuban people as interference in cuban politics by the vatican can only lead to more hardship for the people of cuba..

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
No, the Catholic Church is a venomous criminal organization which has ties with every corner of Western government and continually maneuvers to spread its tentacles and enforce its will, all under the guise of 'Christianity'.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

But surely Cuba couldn't be much worse off than the stagnant position it has been in for well over half a century, right? Cuba as a country has to move in some direction, lest the people there continue to live in times past, with no real hop for the future. I'm not defending this move by the Catholic Church (other than the political prisoner release that is possible), I'm just trying to coax reason here.

--airspoon

new topics

top topics

join