There has been a 14 yr old kid arrested in the Orlando, Florida area for finding a 3 yr old girl wandering the aisles of The Burlington Coat Factory
outlet in Orlando, Florida.
This kid according to the repots was trying to do the right thing but the fact he left the store with her wasn't wise.
Procedure for when finding what you suspect is an abandoned kid :
1. Get a store employee's attention.
2. Walk with the employee to the kid in question.
3. Take temporary custody of the kid and escort kid to store security.
4. Have store security alert a manager or someone in charge. (Never leave anyone alone with store security, wait there with the employee and guard and
have the employee get a manager or someone in charge).
5. Have the manager or person in charge call law enforcement Wait at the desk for cops to show.
6. (only applicable if a public address system is available) Have the manager or person in charge make an announcement over the PA system.
7. Do not, under any circumstance take it upon yourself to remove the child from the inside of the store.
8. Answer any and all questions posed to you by either the manager or person in charge, law enforcement only and exclusively. Be polite, courteous and
kind, do not ever raise your voice or become agitated.
9. Ask the kid what is thier favourite colour, tv show and toy. Only a parent would know this. (For you parents that have no clue ask your kids and
If the above is clearly not possible then get an employee or manager to take temporary custody of the kid if you fear being accused of trying to take
a kid and fear arrest.
It's come to a point where people are so scared of pedophiles that doing the right thing is slowly becoming a criminal act. I hope this kids record
is erased and expunged. Typically I'm against record expungement but this case warrants it.
[edit on 18-6-2010 by TheImmaculateD1]