It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy crap! I am being consumed by TV cable!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Greetings ATS. Today seems like a weird day for me. My family has decided to get cable from TWC and ever since the TV has been turned on they just can't stop staring. It is becoming quite a distraction and I also can't seem to look away. Normally I don't bother to use the TV except for my PS3 use but its almost as if cable has an alluring and addicting feel to it. None of the channels that I am watching now is educational or informative and I kind of feel glad that I am flying back to El Paso tomorrow for my last few weeks in the army but I am now having regrets to helping my family out to having cable. I don't want to stay glued to the television unless its for the least amount of time.

Does anyone know if this is normal or am I starting to develop a habit to becoming a couch potato? If its normal then does anyone know what channels I can rely on for accurate news?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
You are Fine humans should spend as much time as possible staring mindlessly into the abyss without interaction or companionship.
TV is great for your family it stops the quarreling and brings order to the household.
it also glorifies all the exciting new things that you simply must have regardless of cost or reason. television keeps the nation running it is the backbone of any civilized society
.You are not developing a harmful habit you are being entertained and you enjoy it.
and finally , you can trust all news channels and sources there is absolutely no reason to think for yourself or anyone else, simply nod your head or change the channel we have a flavor for you.

~meathead

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

That's exactly what I was thinking. I like your truthful sarcasm and I think your right. Nothing good ever seems to come out of television no matter what channel you watch.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
educate-yourself.org...

This is kind of an old article,2008?,but talks about reasons not to have HDTV. I think given your military background you will appreciate it's info even more.

I know whenever I have passed a television in a store,it does have a hypnotic affect. Creepy!

We gave up television with the "gov't mandated" switchover. We don't miss it at all!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
i cannot say that i do not watch any television , but compared to when i was a kid watching everything from henny youngman and get smart to All in the family and usa saturday afternoon kung fu matinee... i was totally addicted i spent every waking hour outside of school or sleeping watching tv..

now i watch it a few hours a week,i like to see what the MSM have to say and enjoy a few odd episodes on TV land , and most of my enjoyment comes from pointing out there subtile use of NLP or hidden advertising.it seems once you wake up its very hard to see television the same way..

~meathead

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Some people say (Alex Jones) that TV has built in hypnotic properties. Something about the flicker rate etc. I don't know if that's true, but I download most of the shows I'm interested in and watching them commercial free is a completely different (not as annoying with all the commercials) experience.

I have mine on all the time in the background and usually watch History Channel or news mostly, but I admit it just seems too quiet in the house without it.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

Thank you so much for this truly powerful link. I had no idea that this was taking place since the gulf war era. If I could $tar you, I would do it 10X. Now if only I can convince my family to stop watching the boob-tube then we will be better off.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong with watching your favorite shows and movies, but to have the TV on all day. There's always something to do other than watch TV. I start to feel guilt if I watch tv for too long, Unless its the football. I now have so many channels, but still only watch the main 4 we always had.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Im just not really a tv viewing type of guy, but that damn cable box makes it seem so pleasant to watch. I can feel the brain washing taking over.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
It's just that it's something new to do. You'll get bored with it after a while and things will go back to normal. 'Til then, just enjoy; there's not a damn thing wrong with watching TV.

TheAssoc.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Stop-loss!- Yeah, T.V. = poison dude. It sucks but it's true. I don't have it myself...and I haven't for years...and I've grown more spiritually (not religiously) in the years I have not had it. Whenever I am at a friends or somewhere where there is T.V. I might turn it on some educational show...Discovery or the like-for just 30 minutes. But I am very aware of the changes within my body/mind because of the hypnotic attributes. A TV signal...whether it be cable, satellite whatever, is a very sophisticated thing. And that signal can be used for anything if its in the wrong hands. Which it is.

I think it's BEAUTIFUL that you are woken up enough to recognize and listen to your inner instinct about T.V. and its effects on you and your household. Don't feel bad about it sucking you in some at first...that is some powerful # my friend! Why do you think they did away with old T.V. and now everything is digital, HD etc.?? ALL THE BETTER TO PROGRAM YOU WITH, MY DEAR! lol

And the legitimate news source question.... I'm sorry but I gotta go giggle about that one.... you are too cute!

Love, peace and no television to ya, my brother!

P.S. Your avatar pic is great!

new topics

top topics

join