It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Employer Tells Hero Kidney Donor to Move or Lose Job!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I came across this while reading my email.

When school social worker Dan Coyne donated a kidney to save the life of a woman he barely knew, he became a hero. The principal of his school declared March 23 "Dan Coyne Day" and incorporated his gift into the teaching curriculum. Thursday, Coyne will be honored at a dinner for school social workers.

But this hero may soon be out of a job. Chicago school officials are threatening to fire Coyne, who works at Ray Elementary and Pershing East Magnet School, if he doesn't move from Evanston, Ill., into Chicago. For his part, Coyne has said he was told in 2002 that this wasn't necessary.

A letter Coyne received Friday from the Chicago Board of Education stated he had shown "conduct unbecoming an employee.

So they think donating a kidney is unbecoming of an employee? I am confused.

He states he will move to keep his job but that will keep him from his wife and two children. Completely unfair if you ask me.

source

I found this on another site. I guess his moving has to do with violating the city's residency requirements. I have no idea what these are.. anyone in the Chicago area on here that could possibly explain this?

A Chicago Public Schools employee honored for donating a kidney to an acquaintance may be fired for violating the city's residency requirement.

source

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I think the problem is that he made a personal decision to donate a kidney.

While it may be rude to do this to him,this is a business decision and shouldn't be taken personally.
I find people taking business decisions personally as counterproductive.

In my day to day life doing business I cannot allow myself to judge what I do based on someone elses personal choices.
For me thats being fair.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Yup it was his decision I agree.

From reading more on it, it seems they think he should get to stay because he donated a kidney. My question is did he know he didn't fit the requirements or was it an honest mistake? I don't understand laws like that.

Maybe someone on here can give me an idea how this works.

new topics

join