It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA Estimates 0.4 ppb Benzene = 1 in 100,000 Cancer Risk. EPA Shows 24ppb in Alabama, Florida Area

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The following show a test of benzene levels in the city of Valdez, during the Exxon spill. Keep in mind, this was a finite amount, and they became concerned when finding levels as high as 8 ppb (parts per billion)

Upon completion of the initial testing phase, additional phases of testing may be warranted to further investigate continued high levels of benzene in Valdez. It is recommended that the EPA estimate of 0.4 ppb benzene (equivalent to a 1 in 100,000 cancer risk) be used as a trigger point for further testing and analysis in the City of Valdez

Benzene concentrations ranged 1-8 ppb in outdoor Valdez air prior to vapor
recovery, which is equivalent benzene levels measured in major cities such as Los Angeles, Boston and Houston.
2003 testing is expected to yield lower benzene levels in the City of Valdez
Benzene levels can be measured using Summa® canisters, or CEMS.
Benzene levels above 0.4ppb would warrant further attention

www.pwsrcac.org...

Latest EPA TAGA results show levels as high as 24 ppb.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0898442f9c33.jpg[/atsimg]
www.epa.gov...

[edit on 17-6-2010 by OurskiesRpoisoned]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Thanks, it's been tough to find solid proof of the chemicals present.

I don't see those numbers getting lower anytime soon...

We will have an evacuation, there is no doubt.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Hello OSRP,

Thanks for finding this I was hoping it would have been released sooner. but I think these are watered down numbers, and are propbably much higher. We need an independent party to test this, in so far as I do not trust the EPA anyway. And aren't these gases flammable as well?

S&F

[edit on 17-6-2010 by redeyedwonder] for spelling

[edit on 17-6-2010 by redeyedwonder]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I am willing to test here in FL, where can I get some type of testing equipment???

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
good to keep this up where people can see that
this is a serious situation

we have:
the situation
and the disinfo about the situation
as well as the lack of information about the situation

a real Cluster Foxtrot

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

I know they use petrie dishes to test for gases in the home, maybe a Home Depot, or hardware store. But I wouldn't Know where to get it tested for results, maybe a local college?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by redeyedwonder
. And aren't these gases flammable as well?

S&F

[edit on 17-6-2010 by redeyedwonder] for spelling

[edit on 17-6-2010 by redeyedwonder]

Great question.

What benzene is

* Benzene is a chemical that is a colorless or light yellow liquid at room temperature. It has a sweet odor and is highly flammable.

* Benzene evaporates into the air very quickly. Its vapor is heavier than air and may sink into low-lying areas.

* Benzene dissolves only slightly in water and will float on top of water.

Immediate signs and symptoms of exposure to benzene

* People who breathe in high levels of benzene may develop the following signs and symptoms within minutes to several hours:
o Drowsiness
o Dizziness
o Rapid or irregular heartbeat
o Headaches
o Tremors
o Confusion
o Unconsciousness
o Death (at very high levels)
* Eating foods or drinking beverages containing high levels of benzene can cause the following symptoms within minutes to several hours:
o Vomiting
o Irritation of the stomach
o Dizziness
o Sleepiness
o Convulsions
o Rapid or irregular heartbeat
o Death (at very high levels)
* If a person vomits because of swallowing foods or beverages containing benzene, the vomit could be sucked into the lungs and cause breathing problems and coughing.
* Direct exposure of the eyes, skin, or lungs to benzene can cause tissue injury and irritation.
* Showing these signs and symptoms does not necessarily mean that a person has been exposed to benzene.

Long-term health effects of exposure to benzene

* The major effect of benzene from long-term exposure is on the blood. (Long-term exposure means exposure of a year or more.) Benzene causes harmful effects on the bone marrow and can cause a decrease in red blood cells, leading to anemia. It can also cause excessive bleeding and can affect the immune system, increasing the chance for infection.

* Some women who breathed high levels of benzene for many months had irregular menstrual periods and a decrease in the size of their ovaries. It is not known whether benzene exposure affects the developing fetus in pregnant women or fertility in men.

* Animal studies have shown low birth weights, delayed bone formation, and bone marrow damage when pregnant animals breathed benzene.

* The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has determined that benzene causes cancer in humans. Long-term exposure to high levels of benzene in the air can cause leukemia, cancer of the blood-forming organs

www.bt.cdc.gov...

Not only is the air toxic, but explosive as well!

[edit on 17-6-2010 by OurskiesRpoisoned]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OurskiesRpoisoned

I knew there was more to the people getting sick down there than just fumes from the oil, and the concentrations where they are testing are most likely all from one location as well...

Thanks for adding the extra info I already knew it was flammable.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by robbinsj
I am willing to test here in FL, where can I get some type of testing equipment???

You are the testing equipment! Go to the doc, and have them test your urine for benzene.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I also find it extremely disturbing that that in the midst of what is the Nation's largest environmental disaster, the EPA hasn't had a "News Release" since May 29...

What exactly are you NOT saying, EPA??? Not sure how to embed a link, but here is the copy of the EPA News Release page.

A-Z index
News Releases Multimedia Media Contacts News Feeds
News Releases - BP SpillEPA Home Newsroom News Releases - BP Spill

05/29/2010 Top Officials to Return to the Gulf Coast / Trips by Top Leaders to Inspect All-Hands-on-Deck Response Total 28
05/24/2010 EPA, U.S. Coast Guard Provide Dispersant Updates
05/24/2010 TODAY: Administrator Jackson, Rear Admiral Landry to Hold Press Conference Call to Discuss Dispersants
05/24/2010 TODAY: EPA Administrator Returns to Gulf Region to Oversee Ongoing Response to the BP Spill / CEQ Chair Nancy Sutley joins Administrator
05/22/2010 EPA Releases BP's Response to Directive on Dispersants
05/22/2010 SUNDAY: EPA Administrator to Return to Gulf Region to Oversee Ongoing Response to the BP Oil Spill
05/20/2010 Letter From Secretary Napolitano and EPA Administrator Jackson to BP CEO Tony Hayward
05/20/2010 EPA Posts Underwater Dispersant Monitoring Data/Under stringent plan, BP must conduct constant monitoring of dispersant use at leak source and provide data to the government
05/20/2010 EPA: BP MUST USE LESS TOXIC DISPERSANT
05/20/2010 EPA launches Spanish Web Site on BP Oil Spill

EPA site to inform Spanish-speaking public about health, environmental impacts of spill
05/19/2010 TODAY: Administrator Lisa P. Jackson to Testify on Oil Spill Prevention and Response
05/18/2010 Statement of Lisa P. Jackson Administrator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Testimony on Federal Response to the Recent Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
05/18/2010 TODAY: Administrator Lisa P. Jackson to Testify on BP Oil Spill

05/15/2010 Coast Guard and EPA Approve Use of Dispersant Subsea in Further Effort to Prevent Oil from Reaching U.S. Shoreline / Agencies Reserve Authority to Stop the Use of the Dispersant At Any Time
05/12/2010 EPA Administrator Meets with Gulf Region Scientists on BP Oil Spill / Photos from Administrator Jackson’s recent visit to the gulf region available at www.flickr.com/usepagov
05/12/2010 TODAY: Dispersant Subject Matter Experts to Hold Press Conference Call
05/10/2010 EPA Updates BP Spill Website with Information on Dispersants

05/10/2010 TODAY: EPA Administrator Jackson Returns to Gulf Region / Administrator to meet officials, scientists and other local experts on BP oil spill’s potential impact

05/02/2010 Administrator Jackson Wraps Up Tour of Areas Potentially Impacted by BP Spill
04/30/2010 Administrator Jackson Tours Areas Potentially Impacted by BP Spill
04/30/2010 EPA Establishes Web site on BP Oil Spill / EPA launches site to inform the public about health, environmental impacts of spill

Search This Collection | Search All Collections

Get email when we issue news releases

Contact Us About EPA Careers FAQs Newsroom Blog Privacy & Security
Inspector General Budget & Performance No Fear Act FOIA Accessibility
USA.gov White House Regulations.gov Pandemicflu.gov EPA & Pandemic Flu Widgets RSS Podcasts News by Email EPA: United States Environmental Protection Agency

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I found this article where they are finding high level of benzene in the Ft Worth area, around gas compressors.

During this trip, we visited 97 sites, of which 38 were previously sampled and 59 were at new locations. We collected twelve short-term samples, six of which were downwind and six were upwind from oil and gas facilities. Of these twelve samples, three results returned benzene concentrations that warrant further review. These three results are summarized below:

Sample FWFS1004-68 resulted in 3.2 ppbv [parts per billion by volume] of benzene on April 21, 2010. This 30-minute sample was collected in Forth Worth downwind of the Chesapeake Energy, Texas Midstream Gas Services, S & B Compressor Station off Corbett business Drive, approximately 0.2 miles south from East Berry Street and 50 yards east of Corbett Business Drive. In addition, grab SampleFWFS1004-84 detected 6.3 ppbv of benzene on April 21, 2010. The sample location remained the same in each of these instances.

Sample FWFS1004-75 resulted in 1.9 ppbv of benzene on April 22, 2010. This grab sample was collected downwind of the Ecana Oil & Gas Compressor Station – DAB Well 5H site that lies approximately 130 feet south of Interstate 20 Access Road and 0.25 miles east of Markum Ranch Road.

www.texasobserver.org...

Here again, they are concerned about levels getting up to 6.3 ppb

EPA is reading levels as high as 24.247 pbb and are not sounding at least an alarm.

It have been tweeting Lisa Jackson about this issue, but they have just ignored me.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
nothing to see people ... this is a conspiracy against the brits and obama ....

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol

No, I believe this is a conspiracy against the constitution, and the people it protects.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OurskiesRpoisoned

Originally posted by Faiol

No, I believe this is a conspiracy against the constitution, and the people it protects.

If it were a conspiracy against Brits we would pull out fans and blow it your way, I can only hope it floats its way to Congress, (My apologies to anyone else in the way!)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by OurskiesRpoisoned
You are the testing equipment!

Wow, sadly I believe this to be true. Perhaps they won't do anything unless people start keeling over.

Benzene levels have been a concern for D/FW for sometime,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I hate to do this (once more) but will try to be the voice of reason here.

Yes - Benzene is a carcinogen But - remember that you are exposed to low levels of benzene on every city street and everytime you fill up with gas. Low level exposures are nothing to be concerned about.

See this material data safety sheet for benzene

www.sciencelab.com...

Note Section 8 Exposure Control / Personal Protection

Exposure Limits:
TWA: 0.5 STEL: 2.5 (ppm) from ACGIH (TLV) [United States] TWA: 1.6 STEL: 8 (mg/m3) from ACGIH (TLV) [United States]
TWA: 0.1 STEL: 1 from NIOSH TWA: 1 STEL: 5 (ppm) from OSHA (PEL) [United States] TWA: 10 (ppm) from OSHA (PEL)
[United States] TWA: 3 (ppm) [United Kingdom (UK)] TWA: 1.6 (mg/m3) [United Kingdom (UK)] TWA: 1 (ppm) [Canada] TWA:
3.2 (mg/m3) [Canada] TWA: 0.5 (ppm) [Canada]Consult local authorities for acceptable exposure limits.

Especially Note:
The Time Wieghted Average (TWA): 1.5 STEL (short term exposure limit) and 8 (mg/m3) from ACGIH TLV (threshold limit value)

A mg/m3 is a part per million. The test results provided by the OP are all in Parts per Billion. That means that the test results are all 1000 times lower than the established concentration for safe exposure.

Once again - the poison is in the dose!

No one is getting evacuated over this.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
15 posts, I woulda thought more people would be interested?

Second line.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

Ok so if you look deeper in that PDF there is another 24 and a 22...

and the detection points appear to be condensing into larger areas...

I just crapped myself

[edit on 17-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

24 ppb is 60 times the amount 0.4 the EPA suggests creates 1 in 100,000 cancer.

I'd say those are numbers the public should be aware of. If it gets higher, people will start to really get sick, and possibly even die.

Wanna be the one that said, don't worry, nothing to see here?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Well, they're 5 days behind, but they released June 14th results.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d45916d0ed6.jpg[/atsimg]

What appears to me is there are heavy pockets forming. Makes sense, because benzene is heavier than air, settling into low areas.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join