It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fact, Fear Mongering, or Somewhere in Between?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Very oftenI read threads on this site where a poster disagrees with the OP. Skepticism is good in that it helps those who may not be an expert in the field of whatever the OP is discussing. Skeptics who can make an decent argument against the OP's position can cause readers to do their own research. Often though, I see posts that offer nothing but a rant that the OP is fear mongering. So what is fear mongering?

Fear mongering (or scaremongering) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end. The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of this tactic, sometimes in the form of a vicious circle. Source

Fear mongering is most often used in politics, campaign advertisments, and product advertismsents. We can also argue that it is used in religion. In other words, it is used by people or entities who have something to sell. Some say that Bush used it to get backing for the attack on Iraq. Many campaign commercials are criticized for using this tactic to get people to vote for their candidate. Product advertisers use it in commercials to sell their products. Religious leaders use it to increase their congregations. So ask yourself, “What is an ATS member trying to sell to the reader?” Some may want to validate their position by having other agree with their views. Some may be campaigning for various political or religious beliefs. But I honestly believe that what some are calling fear monger may just be an ATS member diseminating information. This is, after all, a conspiracy site. If we could depend to the MSM to accurately report the truth, there would be no need for this site.

I haven’t worked in an office setting for years, but when I did we often used a technique called ‘brainstorming.’ The goal in brainstorming is to generate as many ideas as possible no matter how outlanish they may originally sound. Then each idea is discussed to death to determine whether or not it is a keeper. This is the approach I use when researching a topic.

The Deepwater Disaster is one of those topics that is receiving a lot of screaming that the posters are fear mongering. But in a situation where we are getting little to no acurate information from BP or the MSM, I think we should scour every source we can find. Many if not most of the threads in this forum are based on worst case scenarios. We’ve been warned by alternative news sources that all is not as rosy as we are being told.

Please don’t dismiss a thread because you don’t like the source. Do your own research into the claims made by the source. Don’t insult the OP because you don’t like their source. Discredit the information and not the OP or the source with solid evidence and site your source. Most of us are simply trying to get at the truth. We need your constructive input. We are all in this together. We can’t plan for the worst and hope for the best unless we know the worst case scenario.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The more and more I think about it, the more the nuke option appears 99% safe and effective.

But there is so much fear mongering and misinformation about it, that everyone is scared out of their mind over it.

Everyone dismisses it because they don't "Like" it.

There are no legit facts to back up the anti-nuke position. I've been thinking about this for weeks now, and I cannot find a single LOGICAL RATIONAL reason that a nuke would cause any major harm.

What am I selling? Nothing, because I am giving it away for free.

I am defending the nuke solution now. It is our best bet and it has minimal negative consequences even if things go wrong.

It's not just my opinion. It's a fact proven by Russia on several occasions. Also, the only reason I rejected it initially was because I was under the propaganda spell and was mislead into thinking the consequences would be far worse than they Actually will be.

OR we can keep watching the oil seep out of the surrounding area for decades.

2 options. Pick your poison.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
So this video from this thread had no influence on your stand?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Ya know I wonder if the behaviour by some the the media stations yesterday was a result of TPTB telling them how to handle the earthquake in VA. When I realized what was happening I turned on the TV and to my surprize, Most of the MSM seemed to be doing their best to down play the event.

Anyone else notice that?

top topics

join