It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP next step:BP Starts Burning Oil from Ruptured Well

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Ok, now BP next step is to burn oil, but isn't this worst than the oil spill itself?

(CBS/AP) Oil giant BP PLC has started burning oil siphoned from a ruptured well in the Gulf of Mexico as part of its plans to more than triple the amount of crude it can stop from reaching the sea.

BP said oil and gas from the well reached a drilling rig early Wednesday.

The system uses lines to suck oil from a stack of pipes near the seafloor to a drilling rig on the ocean surface. Once the oil is aboard, it's shot down a specialized boom, mixed with compressed air and ignited.

BP says the burner could incinerate anywhere from 210,000 gallons (nearly 800,000 liters) of oil to 420,000 gallons (1.6 million liters) of oil daily once it's fully operational.

I don't get it, how can this be any good for the enviroment.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Ok, now BP next step is to burn oil, but isn't this worst than the oil spill itself?

(CBS/AP) Oil giant BP PLC has started burning oil siphoned from a ruptured well in the Gulf of Mexico as part of its plans to more than triple the amount of crude it can stop from reaching the sea.

BP said oil and gas from the well reached a drilling rig early Wednesday.

The system uses lines to suck oil from a stack of pipes near the seafloor to a drilling rig on the ocean surface. Once the oil is aboard, it's shot down a specialized boom, mixed with compressed air and ignited.

BP says the burner could incinerate anywhere from 210,000 gallons (nearly 800,000 liters) of oil to 420,000 gallons (1.6 million liters) of oil daily once it's fully operational.

I don't get it, how can this be any good for the enviroment.

www.cbsnews.com...

What is baffling is, with all the oil tankers in the world, they can't offload this into tankers?

I think they are purposefully polluting the atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Wow... Yeah now my next question is just like yours...

Doesn't this just create a stream of another type of pollution that we can't measure or see?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Perhaps BP already has pruchased enough 'carbon credits' to 'offset' the environmental damage...

Cap'n Trade anyone?

Cap'n Trade: A New breaksfast cereal. Fortified globules of gooey goodness with that rich methane/benzene aroma and just the right amount of sulfur to make it the sensation of the new carbon market!

Two boxtops gets you the Gulf Of Mexico Breakfast bowl, with a hole in the bottom, so you can experiance the full effect of the good BP has done for the world's environment.

(Now with marshmallow styrofoam-silicone dead fish and birds)

((Caution: No smoking near the cereal.... smoking is bad for you.))

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
What a waste. I'll take some if they don't want it.

It should be illegal to throw away a resource like this.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Cap and trade is what Obama is pushing behind his now energy agenda, perhaps because the global warming wasn't enough to scare the people to death about the decimation of our species, (BTW I think GMO Monsanto will do that for us) now such pollution of this scale, (with oil flowing indefinitely to the surface) burning will probably do what the natural changes on climax in the earth could not.

I hope mother nature is smarter than us, pesky human species parasites and come back to teach us a lesson.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join