It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Set to Ease Gaza Blockade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Israel Set to Ease Gaza Blockade

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4b77cbe5add.jpg[/atsimg]

JERUSALEM
Israel will significantly ease its bruising blockade of the Gaza Strip
on Wednesday, officials said, in an effort to blunt the widespread
international criticism that has followed a deadly Israeli commando
raid on a blockade-busting flotilla.

Senior Cabinet ministers were meeting to limit restrictions to a short
list of goods, such as cement and steel, which Israel says militants
could use in their battle against the Jewish state.

But even those goods would be allowed in to an undetermined extent
in coordination with the United Nations, the officials said. They spoke
on condition of anonymity because the decision has not been officially
announced.

www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 16-6-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Wonder if those Iranian Ships heading to Gaza
had anything to do with this???

ur thoughts ????

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Probably, they realised they may have to fight Real Soldiers with Real Weapons...Slingshots just haven't got the range...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Perhaps this is a step further towards a peaceful solution in that region. It's a shame some members will always try to demionise their enemies, even when they try to do the right thing. It doesn't matter whether this is just for PR, as long as it is put into effect and the Palestinian people as a whole benefit from it, it should be welcomed.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Perhaps this is a step further towards a peaceful solution in that region. It's a shame some members will always try to demionise their enemies, even when they try to do the right thing. It doesn't matter whether this is just for PR, as long as it is put into effect and the Palestinian people as a whole benefit from it, it should be welcomed.

I would like to point out the article said
that Israel was EASING the blockade
NOT LIFTING IT. The only thing that's changed
is the type of materials Israel is allowing in,
according to the way I read this or maybe
my interpretation was wrong.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I wasn't referring to you. But you are right about what you said anyway.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Yes and some members just call each atrocity as they see it...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129

Yes and some members just call each atrocity as they see it...

There will never be peace as long as Extremists from both sides continue to fight each other. Peace will also be much harder when people not living in the region hold the hate for their enemy as a higher priority over the potential for peace of the victims. I know you would probably prefer that Israel gets obliterated, but believe it or not there are innocent people who live in that country.

As I said before, "easing" the block aid restrictions is a step in the right direction and is likely to benefit the Palestinians.

[edit on 16/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

If you are doing wrong, and then slowly stop doing wrong and still doing wrong doesn't make it right.

The blockade was inhumane, to ease it is on the right direction, but can't be called right until the stop the wrong.

This is the confusion in language, that is why they treat Palestinians in an aggressive and dehumanizing manner, so that next time they simply right the wrong and still getting good public image because they seem like they are doing good.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Too little too late.

Looks like the mad dog now wants to cower in the corner in the hope that the RSPCA will leave it alone.

Have they come clean about the attack yet
Have they released the boats.
Are they going to release the films taken.
Will they pay compensation to the dead and people in Gaza.

The Zionist controlled press and Tony Blair will say this is a great outcome of events when in fact it's nothing of the kind.

Time for the USA to take it's nukes back and nevermind the cement thats needed to repair a city.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by LieBuster]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleSecret
If you are doing wrong, and then slowly stop doing wrong and still doing wrong doesn't make it right.

The blockade was inhumane, to ease it is on the right direction, but can't be called right until the stop the wrong.

This is the confusion in language, that is why they treat Palestinians in an aggressive and dehumanizing manner, so that next time they simply right the wrong and still getting good public image because they seem like they are doing good.

Well that's not what I am trying to do. I am simply saying that this is a good move for the Palestinians. I agree it needs to be put into action before it is praised. How about we we try sending Israel the message that these are the types of decisions that are welcomed by the world? Instead of the tried and failed "not good enough, only doing it for PR!" reasons. You would be surprised how well the idea of positive reinforcement works, even with a country like Israel.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Your post should be deleted...

Just where did I say anything about hating Israel or wanting it obliterated???
You are a troublemaker.....

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

How about we we try sending Israel the message that these are the types of decisions that are welcomed by the world? Instead of the tried and failed "not good enough, only doing it for PR!" reasons.

The UN tried that, 62 ,ignored or argued against, resolutions later, Irsael still pleases itself...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

positive reinforcement?

Palestinians have been living under apartheid rule for probably 60 years now.

Sometimes you say enough is enough and use other means than positive reinforcement, or negotiations, or talk, talk, talk when knowing the two sides are not equal, and when knowing Israel has nothing to gain from peace.

That is why they created the law enforcement agencies, because people tend to forget the law when they have nothing to gain from it.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Your post should be deleted...

Just where did I say anything about hating Israel or wanting it obliterated???
You are a troublemaker.....

It doesn't take a neurosurgeon to see what your feelings are towards Israel and what you think is the best solution for that region. I didn't say these "are" your views, but I did imply that you probably do secretly hope for these things.

Yes, people that want to hear both sides of a conflict are troublemakers indeed. Have you ever considered that your views on the conflict may be biased?

[edit on 17/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleSecret
positive reinforcement?

Palestinians have been living under apartheid rule for probably 60 years now.

You need to look up the definition of "Apartheid". In addition, it is an outright lie to suggest that the current treatment of Palestinians has been going on longer than since the 2nd Intifada. Israel and Palestinians enjoyed relative peace in the years before the second uprising took place.

Sometimes you say enough is enough and use other means than positive reinforcement, or negotiations, or talk, talk, talk when knowing the two sides are not equal, and when knowing Israel has nothing to gain from peace.

Less talk and more discussion. I don't think violence from either side has achieved much, do you? I didn't say things were equal, just that there were two sides to the conflict. On ATS we mostly get to hear about one side.

If you want to argue along those lines, then please tell me what Palestinians have to gain from peace with Israel? What is your idea of peace for the Palestinians, and how does Israel relate to that?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

You need to look up the definition of "Apartheid".

Define Apartheid:

a social policy or racial segregation involving political and economic and legal discrimination against people who are not Whites

Every thing was handy dandy until the white word came to play.

But you knew what I meant right?

In addition, it is an outright lie to suggest that the current treatment of Palestinians has been going on longer than since the 2nd Intifada. Israel and Palestinians enjoyed relative peace in the years before the second uprising took place.

So you are telling me that the Palestine wasn't occupied before 2nd intifada, or the Palestinians homes weren't destroyed before the 2nd intifada, or the settlement expansion didn't exist before the 2nd intifada.

Palestinians just lost it due to lack of hope.

The world didn't help them due to American VETO.

Less talk and more discussion. I don't think violence from either side has achieved much, do you? I didn't say things were equal, just that there were two sides to the conflict. On ATS we mostly get to hear about one side.

I think the resistance did achieve much, Gaza elected its first government democratically (Hamas). Gaza is under Palestinian control. Israel isn't expanding settlements towards Gaza. While the settlement expansion is still implemented in the other Palestinian territories which are under Fatah (which is loved by the Western world for some reason).

The main goal of the resistance is to gain independence, and to capture the lost territories, and to allow Palestinians to govern/defend their territories rather than the Zionist regime. Motives of this aggressive/terroristic regime is very public and transparent for anyone to see.

The negative side of resistance is simple:
More excuse for the more powerful side to humiliate, to kill, to prevent simple human rights, not against the resistance, but against the whole population etc etc.

If you want to argue along those lines, then please tell me what Palestinians have to gain from peace with Israel? What is your idea of peace for the Palestinians, and how does Israel relate to that?

Peace can't be attained without justice, don't put hurdles in between the discussion.

stirred an outburst of anger amongst Palestinians, exasperated by the stagnation of the peace process, as well as by the continuing occupation and settlement expansion.

The violent repression of Palestinian demonstrations demanding the immediate ending of the occupation killed more than 200 Palestinians in one month, of which one third was under 17 years old. To respond to this brutality, the Intifada became militarised as from the beginning of November 2000.

Palestinians peacefully protested for a long time, I feel for them.

Among the many reasons for the start of the second Palestinian intifada in September 2000, the massive expansion of Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza must count as the most important.

The 1993 Oslo Accords signed by the PLO and Israel were meant to reconcile Palestinian aspirations for self-determination and statehood and the existence of Israel. In fact, an aggressive policy of settlement expansion and consolidation took place over the following seven years. More Arab land was taken over and more Palestinian homes were bulldozed, more exclusively Jewish roa

In between the time of the Oslo Accord and the 2nd intifada:

When Yasser Arafat and Yitzak Rabin shook hands on the White House lawn in September 1993 there were about 115,000 Jewish settlers in West Bank and Gaza. By the time of the second intifada seven years later there were more than 200,000 of them. Reports suggest another 1,500 families (17,000 people) have been added to this total during 2001, more than the 400 settler families that have moved back to Israel under the impact of the intifada.

And Seriously, GAZA:

Gaza, one of the most densely populated tracts of land in the world, is home to 1,178,000 Palestinians, 33 per cent of whom live in United Nations-funded refugee camps.
Gaza is also home to 6,900 Jewish settlers. Yet the Israeli-controlled areas and settlements take up about 40 per cent of Gaza's land. Israel controls all external borders, crossing points and major roads in Gaza.

No justice no peace, don't forget that.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by LittleSecret]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Well this is the stumbling block, isn't it? How exactly is "justice" going to be achieved without Israel losing all its land and population? Should we let justice in Australia deport 96% of the people who live there because of what happened all those years ago to Aboriginal Australians? Palestinians are FAR from the only people that have had their land taken from them.

I support the creation of an independent Palestinian state by the way. The problem is how it will be divided. Would you be willing to support a "two-state" solution?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Why doesn't Israel just abide by the agreement reached in 1967???

Personally I think Israel will just keep expanding.

Not sure why you would bring Australia into it..

The Aborigines get way more Goverment money per person that anyone else...They also have much more land than they can use.They actually lease it out to mining and tourist companies.
Are you saying the Israel Goverment does the same???

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Why doesn't Israel just abide by the agreement reached in 1967???

Because there was a coalition of countries (Egypt, Jordan, and Syria among others) that went to war against Israel at the time. Instead of losing the land they had, they captured new land during that war.

Personally I think Israel will just keep expanding.

Well, now is one of the first times in history that Israel has agreed to stop settlement expansions - with the "support" of the USA. The rate of expansion has thus been significantly reduced.

Not sure why you would bring Australia into it..

I only brought Australia into the discussion because asking Israel to relinquish all their land to Aboriginal Australians is the same as asking Israel to relinquish all its land to the Palestinians. Can you see the parallel? (Request for the return of land taken away from the original population.)

The Aborigines get way more Goverment money per person that anyone else...They also have much more land than they can use.They actually lease it out to mining and tourist companies.
Are you saying the Israel Goverment does the same???

Well you aren't wrong about the funding that is given to the Aboriginal community.

Do you think Israel has much more land than they can use as well? I'm not sure what you are saying about the (Aboriginals) leasing of land to mining and tourist companies? Can you please clarify what you are getting at.

Keep in mind the comparison of land mass between Australia and Israel. And also keep in mind that Australia is an Island, whereas Israel is surrounded by other countries.

[edit on 17/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

join