It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make your own Biodiesel for $1 per gallon!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Haven't seen any mention of this lately. Once you get your setup it literally costs only a $1 per gallon to make, is better for the engine, and you can get diesel cars that get about 40MPG. You could even drive a huge truck around all day and not be burning up much crude oil extract.

I found a $2800 setup for $450 on Craigslist a few months back, supposedly only been used twice.

Put your mind to it, do some research, and even if you don't find a steal of a deal you can still DIY and piece one together for pretty cheap. There's tons of websites out there that go into great detail about every facet of it.

If you wanna get off oil it's going to take some elbow grease. That's what crude saves us, so obviously you're going to have to go against that trend.

FACT: Hybrids still use gasoline.

The only catch is it can't exactly answer all fuel issues for everyone on earth, but at least you can get off crude in a major way while waiting for one day hopefully a better alternative.

And you get to save a bunch of money, which really makes it a smart thing to do..

You might even be able to collaborate with some friends too all chip in to reduce the costs and the work making it.

Also, if you have a bunch of money you can get diesel motorcycles that get well in excess of 100MPG!

Even bigger, if SHTF you'll be the 'sultan' of your region, the epicenter of trade and prosperity for your area.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
This might sound stupid but isn't biodiesel still subject to some form of taxation even if you produce it yourself?

I am sure I have heard that it is.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

I've never heard of anything like that.

Besides how will they know you're doing it?

I guess I suppose there would be if you were selling it. There's major restrictions on the sale of it: purity, inspectors and all that jazz.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Show me the law that says I am required to pay taxes.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
There are many dangers involved with the produtction of biofuels...but since biofuels are now envogue and projected to be a major global industry in the coming years...you never hear about them.

From the health risks to indivduals making it in their garages, to the huge coorporation destroying forests in order to produce biofuel...it is not really an innocent alternative.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by vimanarider

I think you're more talking about ethanol. Biodiesel doesn't use ethanol.

The primary ingredient is used vegetable oil. Your primary 'fuel station' is the used oil tank behind your local restaurants that fry large amounts of food. You can grow your own algae to make the oil with though.

Actually you did just get me thinking and clicking however:
It turns out about 1/5 of your biodiesel is derived from natural gas:

What is Methanol?
Methanol is a liquid chemical commonly known as wood alcohol. It is the simplest alcohol, containing one carbon atom. It is colorless, volatile, and has a very faint odor. Methanol is hygroscopic and totally miscible with water.

Where does Methanol Come From?
Derived usually from natural gas feedstock which is then reformed to carbon oxides and hydrogen. The resulting "synthesis gas" is circulated under pressure and moderate temperature through a conversion catalyst to form crude methanol. Distillation yields high purity methanol.
www.bpa.gov...

That hadn't even occurred to me.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by vimanarider

To not even use the natural gas derived methanol you could try to find a supplier that has Wood Gas formula methanol, made from twigs etc 'waste' product from the various processes they use trees for.

To go a step further you could build a Wood Gasifier to make your own Wood Gas methanol. You could get the wood chips for free from your local tree trimmer outfit. Methanol is what makes up majority of the $1 per gallon pricetag.

You can even build a wood gasifier right into a vehicle and drive around on free wood chips, but it's a major ordeal building one of those cars. They have hobby groups in places like Norway that do it. There's some cool websites that show you their ingenious creations.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
For as much as I disagree with you I do star and flag you quite a bit, IgnorancesisntBliss for your efforts to look for solutions. I know a person running his car on discarded restaurant grease and that's something worth looking into as well.

I am very encouraged by some new discoveries that might make ethanol much more attractive and easier to produce. They have discovered/developed some yeasts that work much better in converting more plant sugars into ethanol. Here's where I read about it:

www.sciencedaily.com...

A new yeast that makes ethanol from both five-carbon and six-carbon sugars without needing oxygen has been developed by an Agricultural Research Service (ARS) scientist.

regards,

Chris

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Thanks. I really appreciate that. You're alright by me!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Well things have sure gotten quiet in this forum since they made the new forum.

Seems like a good time to bump this thread and hopefully in general maybe get a focus on actual solutions 'round here.

new topics

top topics

join