It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Volcano Pressure Too Strong For Containment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I found this report on this thread and felt it needed its own thread. If true, the ramifications of this disaster are staggering.

At some point the drilled hole in the earth will enlarge itself beneath the wellhead to weaken the area the wellhead rests upon. The intense pressure will then push the wellhead off the hole allowing a direct unrestricted flow of oil, etc.

The hole will continue to increase in size allowing more and more oil to rise into the Gulf. After several billion barrels of oil have been released, the pressure within the massive cavity five miles beneath the ocean floor will begin to normalize.

This will allow the water, under the intense pressure at 1 mile deep, to be forced into the hole and the cavity where the oil was. The temperature at that depth is near 400 degrees, possibly more.

The water will be vaporized and turned into steam, creating an enormous amount of force, lifting the Gulf floor. It is difficult to know how much water will go down to the core and therefore, its not possible to fully calculate the rise of the floor.

The tsunami wave this will create will be anywhere from 20 to 80 feet high, possibly more. Then the floor will fall into the now vacant chamber. This is how nature will seal the hole.

Depending on the height of the tsunami, the ocean debris, oil, and existing structures that will be washed away on shore and inland, will leave the area from 50 to 200 miles inland devoid of life. Even if the debris is cleaned up, the contaminants that will be in the ground and water supply will prohibit re-population of these areas for an unknown number of years.

Source

I am looking at this as a worst case scenario as I don’t have a crystal ball to show me what will happen. This is what may or could happen. I am not trying to frighten anyone or claim this is the end of the world. But none of us can make any preparation without information. If we survive this, we should start researching and utilizing alternative energy sources.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I just posted the same damn article as you on a new thread ! Maybe the mods will remove mine then...you had a different title to the article so I didn't realize.

Yes it's too much to take in really if it's actually true. Nothing I read anywhere seems to take an optimistic slant in any way, it's all pretty dire. This is off the scale though and then you'd have to factor in the oil making it's way to other parts of the world and christ knows what happens to the sea bed in other parts of the world if the gulf bed collpases in places ? Let's hope the article is BS

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I'm not a scientist so what follows may be nonsense. For what it's worth however I think there is an error in this analysis.

Let's assume that the first part is feasible and "[t]he intense pressure will then push the wellhead off the hole allowing a direct unrestricted flow of oil".

My problem is with the next stage, which suggests that: "[t]his will allow the water, under the intense pressure at 1 mile deep, to be forced into the hole and the cavity where the oil was".

As I see it, the oil would stop flowing when the pressure forcing the oil up became equal to the downward pressure of the water above it. At this point the hole would become sealed by the oil that would have escaped had the opposing pressures not equalised at that moment. If the hole were sealed in this way then water would not be able to flood the cavity beneath and hence no lifting of the ocean floor and no tsunami.

Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This is a very plausible scenario. There once was a thread that had drawn the points of a satanic pentagram. One of those points was at New York, another in the Gulf. I couldn't figure out what could possibly be detrimental way out in the Gulf! A nuke? But why? Now we have this. Does anyone remember that thread that displayed the map of the satanic pentagram?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

I always asked the question "What happens when the oil stops"

I figured the results wouldn't be good, common sense really something has to fill the hole once the oil runs out.

S&F good find, not far off what I pictured in the first place.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
There are reports of the pressure at the mouth of the bop being anywhere from 7,000 to 70,000psi.

Just to get an idea of what plain fluids at those kind of pressures can do to even the hardest materials, go to youtube and look up "water cutters"

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by winston_jones

Originally posted by winston_jones
I'm not a scientist so what follows may be nonsense. For what it's worth however I think there is an error in this analysis.

Let's assume that the first part is feasible and "[t]he intense pressure will then push the wellhead off the hole allowing a direct unrestricted flow of oil".

My problem is with the next stage, which suggests that: "[t]his will allow the water, under the intense pressure at 1 mile deep, to be forced into the hole and the cavity where the oil was".

As I see it, the oil would stop flowing when the pressure forcing the oil up became equal to the downward pressure of the water above it. At this point the hole would become sealed by the oil that would have escaped had the opposing pressures not equalised at that moment. If the hole were sealed in this way then water would not be able to flood the cavity beneath and hence no lifting of the ocean floor and no tsunami.

Just a thought.

My understanding is that once enough oil has escaped, the pressure will drop. Once the pressure between the well and the ocean equalize, water will begin to seep into the well. Here is where I have a problem. If the heat is a result of the pressure, where is the danger of water seeping into it once the pressures are equalized.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

Another interesting point is the effect of the coming solar max on the oil chamber itself. Will there be increasing pressure as the solar cycle gets underway? If this happens then the pressure could remain high for some time even with the oil coming out. The oil could be replaced with magma.

Also, if the leak was sealed, say with a nuke, what happens to the pressure underneath? Would it continue to build up and then be expressed along some fault line? A bunch of earthquakes?

Without the pressure being released it could be like a bad water heater with a clogged pressure relief valve, or a furnace ready to blow, or a clogged pressure cooker.

The water probably couldn't drop down until a solar minimum was reached and the pressure dropped significantly. Some thoughts.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
This is a map of the Gulf of Mexico coastline. The tsunami is projected to cover 50 to 200 miles inland. If this scenario were to unfold, these are the areas that would be affected. Let’s pray that this worst case scenario does not take place.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8fd2891b0cc7.jpg[/atsimg]

The red is 50 miles inland, yellow is 100 miles inland and green is 200 miles inland.

[edit on 6/14/2010 by darkelf]

[edit on 6/14/2010 by darkelf]

top topics

join