It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah pipeline break fouls geese, ducks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Utah pipeline break fouls geese, ducks

www.msnbc.msn.com

SALT LAKE CITY - A leaked pipeline sent oil spilling into a Salt Lake City creek, coating geese and ducks and closing a park, officials said Saturday as they started a cleanup effort expected to last weeks.

At least 400 to 500 barrels of oil spewed into Red Butte Creek before crews capped the leak site. Nearly 50 gallons of crude oil per minute initially had spilled into the creek, according to Scott Freitag, a Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I cannot believe this, what is going on another leak destroys more environment?

Again people when is enough enough? When do we as citizens, decide that big oil no longer has our interests or the Earths in mind?

The more and more I see this going on and the nonchalant attitude towards the msitakes these companies have made, shows me that we really are in BIG TROUBLE!

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
My thoughts exactly. We're being screwed on purpose. Too bad the majority of Americans want to just sit on their tails. Happy as they are fed grease, crap and the latest sludge from the idiot box. Forget 'wake up before it's too late', it IS too late.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Yes I agree.

Maybe this is what it takes to motivate the population on order to collaborate to make this a better world.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Something's definitely going on.

Utah, Texas, the Gulf, North Carolina, Pennsylvania..... all have had problems in the last few weeks with either natural gas explosions / leaks and/or oil explosions / leaks.

This is either a major case of sabotage or the Earth is fighting our current infrastructure and winning.

It wasn't too long ago that many scientists began warning that our infrastructure was shoddy, aged, and not reliable enough to serve the amount of people currently dependent upon it.

I'm beginning to think that we should have heeded their warnings then for now it is beginning to seem too late.

We've got problems with lakes, creeks, the Atlantic, the Gulf.....

What's next?
Never mind, I surely don't want to know.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by theability

It's not really that simple. Many think: "don't drive, walk" is the answer. It would help of course, but it's far from "the answer'.

From diapers to shoes to tires to fuel....

Simply ending our dependence on fossil fuels is not as simple as telling people to give up their gas guzzlers and buy a bike. A start, yes. But it's hardly a dent in the vast scheme of things.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
400 - 500 Bbls of oil spilled isn't a disaster. The only reason it made the news is everyone's heightened awareness of the dangers of finding and bringing oil to market. I can remember a time when a pipeline that a former employer owned would wash away every time the Red River flooded (every spring). Every year there would be X,000 Bbls lost and every year they would patch in another section of line. The oil would go to points unknown and disappear. No cleanup was possible because there was nothing to clean up.

Aside from some contractor accidentally digging into the line there is no chance that this was anything more than some old pipeline that succumbed to corrosion. Salt is bad about exacerbating stress cracking. It might have been an interference problem from another pipeline. Maybe they didn't have adequate coating or cathodic protection. Maybe the pipe had an anomaly from the mill that is just now showing up. The US is criss-crossed with millions of miles of oil and gas pipelines. Every year some of them fail. I know of one pipeline that was laid in California in 1908 (or close to it) and dug up and relayed in Texas in 1914. It's Spang-Chalfant lap welded pipe and would not be used today. However it's in operation and it serves the purpose so it stays.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I'll the same thing I said yesterday in another thread...

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
I think in light of the ongoing crisis in the Gulf, any type of accident is sure to make the news.

I'm new to the subject, but it seems like accidents involving pipelines, water vessels, or the facilities involved happen everyday.

Here's some information regarding oil accidents. Theres information on water spills and land spills.

Characteristics of Reported Inland and Coastal Oil Spills

Statistics on pipelines

The International Tanker Owners Pollution Federation Limited

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

This is either a major case of sabotage or the Earth is fighting our current infrastructure and winning.

I believe she knows as well.

It wasn't too long ago that many scientists began warning that our infrastructure was shoddy, aged, and not reliable enough to serve the amount of people currently dependent upon it.

How long has it been since America built an new refinery? 20 years?

I'm beginning to think that we should have heeded their warnings then for now it is beginning to seem too late. We've got problems with lakes, creeks, the Atlantic, the Gulf.....
What's next?

What is next? I guess time will tell us.

Great post!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

I saw that. I didn't read your links but that's only because I've been in the business either directly or indirectly for 30+ years. There's a few things that I know for certain:

(1) the average person has no clue how many high pressure pipelines are under their feet at any given time

(2) the average person has no clue what some of those pipelines transport. Things that are way worse than oil and gas

(3) the average person has no clue how old the infrastructure is and how likely it is that a major failure will impact them or their offspring at some time in the future. There is all kinds of regulation in place. For the most part companies take care of the lines and do adequate maintenance, inspection, and repair. The infrastructure is aging. Despite all ongoing efforts something will fail again.

(4) the average person has no clue how utterly and completely dominated by petroleum derived products their lives are. Oil is the real life version of the Borg.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Utah, Texas, the Gulf, North Carolina, Pennsylvania..... all have had problems in the last few weeks with either natural gas explosions / leaks and/or oil explosions / leaks.

One of my firsts thoughts when I saw this thread was sabotage.
Not saying this or all of the leaks were intentional....but the law of averages tells me at least some of them are human caused and intentional destruction.

There are a lot of people out there that think business, corporations and especially oil and coal production are evil and need to be removed from this country.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

One of my firsts thoughts when I saw this thread was sabotage.

You know with this Utah spill sabotage never crossed my mind good point!

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'm not sure why more people aren't suspecting terrorism. Oil related bombings are very common. Not too many happened in the US but it's a big problem in other countries.

I was doing a search on recent bombings and I found something very interesting.

In 2009, there was a series of oil pipeline bombings in Canada. I found this following a link to one of Glen Beck's videos. I not a huge Beck fan but this video about using the bombings as an excuse to take over the oil companies is very strange - considering it was filmed in 2009.

Here's the link:

mediamatters.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Thank you for the link that was a good point brought up in the article.

Now for the take over of oil companies? Hm that would be crazy if that was attempted. I don't think the oil companies would like that concept much, how about you?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

I'm beginning to think that we should have heeded their warnings then for now it is beginning to seem too late.

We've got problems with lakes, creeks, the Atlantic, the Gulf.....

What's next?

A few days back there was a post to a "crazy blogger" who was talking about this exact same thing. Said look for more fossil fuel issues as pipes break and leak.

This has also occurred in the Niger Delta as well...

That persons theory was that the earth was expanding, and that pressure inside was what was causing all of these issues....

I tell you what... it seems the most rational to me....

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

That persons theory was that the earth was expanding, and that pressure inside was what was causing all of these issues....

I tell you what... it seems the most rational to me....

I would have to agree, things do go wrong all the time, and earth tends to move and change.

Good input!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
damn man, when it rains it pours hugh? I read a reply on an oil engineering forum (bobistheoilguy.com) he lives in alaska near the pipeline. i also saw a documentary 3 weeks ago, made in 2007 about exxonvaldeez spill. its very common to this day, for leaks to appear in that pipeline. the reason? the government drastically cut back funding on it over time. that funding, included maintenance. the bolts and seals do not get insepcted and replaced until it starts leaking. maybe the same thing is happening here? or maybe this is too keep us distracted from something the miolitary/government is up too. or, maybe its the oil and governemnts business end, finding a sabatage of an excuse, to push new cleaner technologys for a price

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The earth is moving? as in plate techtonics? correct me if im wrong..but how many mountains are thier in Utah? not many at all, at leat nothing significant where too plates are pushing into eachother, which would take millions of years to do. if you dont feel the eathquake, it was not even a tremor* at least thats my view of it. blaming it all on the earth so typical of human nature

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

Nationalization wouldn't happen directly - it would happen through BP's bankruptcy.

Just like the US became an owner of banks and car companies - they will become own the oil companies. The public will no longer trust oil companies to drill or run pipelines - instead they will trust the government!!
(Ha, ha but it's really not funny).

Of course this will be a world-wide problem, there would have to be centralized control of all energy companies. This "ONE WORLD" energy oversight agency would probably work closely with the "ONE WORLD" banking agency set up in response to the banking crisis.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It's too bad oil isn't good for the ocean.

Damn BP would rock then!

d'oh

<<   2 >>

join