It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: British defend BP's Destruction of America's Gulf Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I'm sure British people don't feel this way.

And I understand that if BP goes bankrupt from our gov criticizing it and scaring it's investors, it would be catastrophic for them too.

However, the British Isles have never had an oil spill.

Nuff said.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by At0mZer0]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by At0mZer0

No, the UK has witnessed an oil spill (www.swan.ac.uk...), just not the same magnitude as what you are experiencing in the Gulf.

Sorry, but need to add that a number of organizations are at fault here. I would agree that Hayward has acted like an idiot and think an American speaking BP spokesman would have better been able to communicate with the people.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Anyone who defends BP is an imbecile, period.

They are trying to spin up more resentment between the US & Uk, which really is a minor issue because the elite is structured just like the ownership of bp. Not buying it at all move along.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by ISHAMAGI]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Sorry but this is all garbage in my opinion...

First... The British people couldn’t give a crap about BP. The only ones making noise, over Obamas comments, is a few MP's, some business men and the media (who want to sell papers)

Second... BP is half American

Third... Regarding the question "has Britain ever had an oil spill" This all seems a tad hypocritical when you consider the Bhopal disaster that killed 25,000 Indian people... Didnt see any of the Union Carbide executives being shipped out to India to face trial did we?!?!

Also the damage done with over 50 years of oil spills the NigerDelter region of Africa... where was all the jumping up and down then??

www.amnesty.org...

**Although it is the Dutch Oil giant Shell who is mainly responsible for that**

Fourth... This is turning an environmental issue into a political one... BP SHOULD clean this mess up, of course... But politicians and the media should stop deflecting attention away from the real crises by creating this circus of nonsense!! And i am talking about both American and British Media and politicians!!

What i would like to see is this mess cleaned up... the people, whose life’s have been affected, compensated... an open investigation into what went wrong and punishment for those responsible... and then the whole world sort out all of the other oil spills, industrial accidents, environmental disasters and corporate corruption that goes on every day!!!

I kind of already covered this here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Just to clear a few things.
BP is 40% British 39% American owned.
Britain has experienced 5 major tanker wrecks.
Torrey Canyon 1967.
Amoco Cadiz 1978.
Braer 1993.
Sea Empress 1996.
Erika 1999.
And nine lesser wrecks.
Universe Leader 1974.
Olympic Alliance 1975.
Pacific Colocotronia 1975.
Eleni V 1978.
Esso Bernicia 1978.
Christos Bitas 1978.
Tanio 1980.
Sivand 1983.
Orleans 1986.
There should be no anti-British feelings by Americans.
Once you understand that BP is an Anglo-American company and that the share price will affect both of our economies.
Sorry dude but you need to do some research before making any claims that Britain is responsible for what happens in the Gulf of Mexico.
Or that somehow we don't give a crap.
You are just wrong in everything you have stated.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

Sorry but this is all garbage in my opinion...

First... The British people couldn’t give a crap about BP. The only ones making noise, over Obamas comments, is a few MP's, some business men and the media (who want to sell papers)

Second... BP is half American

Third... Regarding the question "has Britain ever had an oil spill" This all seems a tad hypocritical when you consider the Bhopal disaster that killed 25,000 Indian people... Didnt see any of the Union Carbide executives being shipped out to India to face trial did we?!?!

Also the damage done with over 50 years of oil spills the NigerDelter region of Africa... where was all the jumping up and down then??

www.amnesty.org...

**Although it is the Dutch Oil giant Shell who is mainly responsible for that**

Fourth... This is turning an environmental issue into a political one... BP SHOULD clean this mess up, of course... But politicians and the media should stop deflecting attention away from the real crises by creating this circus of nonsense!! And i am talking about both American and British Media and politicians!!

What i would like to see is this mess cleaned up... the people, whose life’s have been affected, compensated... an open investigation into what went wrong and punishment for those responsible... and then the whole world sort out all of the other oil spills, industrial accidents, environmental disasters and corporate corruption that goes on every day!!!

I kind of already covered this here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A post of fresh and logical air. Yes, this is a deplorable disaster, but big oil companies have been tearing up the planet and causing environmental problems for decades. Obama needs to leave the political rhetoric at home and concentrate on how to deal with the aftermath. Every politician is quick to draw on the old testament and proclaim an eye for an eye. Bush did it with 9/11. I think greed, money and serious flaws in safety are to blame here. According to 60 Minutes, BP cut a few corners when it came to the safety of the rig. The prevailing issue now is how to deal with the spill, not who is to blame.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
lmao this is highly amusing (A serious matter) but still none the less amusing.

The word "Rhetoric" seems to be very 'in' at the moment so I will use it as follows:

The Rhetoric between our politicians and media is absolute tosh and does not represent what the general UK public think - I shouldnt have to say that but I feel I had to!

The sad thing is that alot of people who are not wisened to such propaganda will fall for it hook line and sinker

edit* I nor anyone I know defend BP in the UK ... nonces the lot of em'

[edit on 12-6-2010 by ainsley]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
They are just looking for someone to hang right now.....a good clean hanging doesnt offer itself.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Edit to say... I am an idiot

I completely misread your post... and then accused you of misreading mine... DOH!

I will now slap my forehead and Apologise...

Sorry... my only excuse is it is late and i should be in bed

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I've not spoken to anyone here in the UK that ever brings this up when discussing the leak, and I've not seen Obama directly critisize us as a nation, or implicate us in it coming about. BP is no more British than someone born in the USA with some distant grandparents from the UK, the reality is that no nation-state is responsible.

Several multi-nationals were involved in the drill, including Halliburton (Well cement supplier - Founded 1919 Oklahoma, USA), Transocean (Drilling contractor - Founded 1919 Louisiana, USA), and Cameron International (Supplier of drilling hardware, valves Founded 1833, Ohio, USA).

I don't consider those companies 'American' any more than I would BP 'British' and I don't see why the country of origin of any of the companies involved is relevant to the disaster.

Who benefits from the idea of a 'war of words' between the US and the UK? The other multinationals involved would obviously benefit, as would TPTB in the sense that it's distracting from the enormous ecological damage being inflicted on the gulf.

That's assuming TPTB and the multi-nationals aren't the same thing. BP might be the sacrificial lamb in that case.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by eightfold]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ainsley

The Rhetoric between our politicians and media is absolute tosh and does not represent what the general UK public think - I shouldnt have to say that but I feel I had to!

The sad thing is that alot of people who are not wisened to such propaganda will fall for it hook line and sinker

edit* I or no one I know defend BP in the UK ... nonces the lot of em'

Hay well americans have adopted BP for some time as part of the fule up sky line if you will. Dont think they are going to bite hard on an anti british thing...but its early yet.

Who are BPs big competitors over here? Mabe thats the direction we should go in uncovering the war of words. Who owns Shell?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by LarryLove

Edit to say... I am an idiot

I completely misread your post... and then accused you of misreading mine... DOH!

I will now slap my forehead and Apologise...

Sorry... my only excuse is it is late and i should be in bed

Not a problem. That oil's getting to you!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
"And I understand that if BP goes bankrupt from our gov criticizing it and scaring it's investors, it would be catastrophic for them too."

I agree every action has a consequence - you take heed of warnings and follow very strict regulations to minimise risk (you as in BP)

Other oil companies are going to profit from this bringing me onto:

Originally posted by Logarock
Who owns Shell?

Royal Dutch Shell is owned by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, she is a member of the bilderberg group and a honorary member of the club of rome (very controversial)

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I think it's time to fill up thousands of balloons with motor oil and hurl them at BP headquarters, wherever they happen to be located in England.
..might be a good idea save some for the White House too.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
As stated in my OP, I do not think the British people feel this way.

This was more of a thread about a British guy coming on American TV saying basically that we are being to hard on BP.

I think we are being to easy on them.

NOTHING against the Brits, just BP.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

It is our citizens that are out in force cleaning the gulf.

I wonder what an American citizen does with a bag of sandy oil they scraped up off the beach?

And you just answered my question!

Oil Balloon Fight! Only with buildings and not getting any thrown back at us of course!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

BP America's headquarters is in Houston, Texas.
Have fun!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by At0mZer0
As stated in my OP, I do not think the British people feel this way.

This was more of a thread about a British guy coming on American TV saying basically that we are being to hard on BP.

I think we are being to easy on them.

NOTHING against the Brits, just BP.

With respect, this seasoned BBC reporter was invited on to the news cast to comment on the 'special relationship' and whether it has been harmed by political rhetoric. In no part of the interview did he directly say that America is being too hard on BP. In fact, he made some very good points. Namely, a number of other organizations are at fault here and that the priority is to clean the mess up. He criticized Tony Hayward's leadership of disaster relief and makes it very clear that BP is an Anglo-American company.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

What do you want?
A boat load of Brits to come over and help you clean up?
"It's our citizens that are out in force cleaning it up".
For the last time 39% of BP is owned by AMERICANS!
It's your oil,your sea and your land, so quit whining and start cleaning.
And take some responsibility for #@$ks sake.
You say your not blaming the Brits, but reading between the lines clearly you are.

BP is a multi-national company, what makes you think they have loyalty to any nation?
Maybe the world should sue Lockheed, Northrop, Halliburton etc for the damage they have caused.
I'm sure the American taxpayers would love that.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I think the smart thing to do, British or American, is to look in your portfolio or 401k, and dump all your BP stock, and start buying Shell or Anandarko!

Dont just stand there and talk about losing money, become pro-active.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join