It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Estimates Double Rate of Oil That Flowed Into Gulf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
New Estimates Double Rate of Oil That Flowed Into Gulf

A government panel on Thursday essentially doubled its estimate of how much oil has been spewing from the out-of-control BP well, with the new calculation suggesting that an amount equivalent to the Exxon Valdez disaster could be flowing into the Gulf of Mexico every 8 to 10 days.

The new estimate is 25,000 to 30,000 barrels of oil a day. That range, still preliminary, is far above the previous estimate of 12,000 to 19,000 barrels a day.

Source

If this has been shared with the ats community, delete it.

If I understood correctly, thats 1 Exxon Valdez disaster 8-10 days.

The new estimate is based on information that was gathered before BP cut a pipe called a riser on the ocean floor last week to install a new capture device, an operation that some scientists have said may have sharply increased the rate of flow. The government panel, called the Flow Rate Technical Group, is preparing yet another estimate that will cover the period after the riser was cut.

That was before the cut. So really, how many of these "Exxon Valdez" disasters already happened.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It had to be more than they originally admitted. They are now catching what they claimed was the entire rate of the spill and it's only 20%. Oh, BTW, they aren't giving the percentage of oil being captured anymore. If you notice, they are now giving the barrels/day capture rate. It sound great, but my eyes don't see a major dimunuation of the amount flowing out. Doesn't even look like they have put a dent in the flow.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
My initial estimate was 30,000 bpd a few days ago i fight with a guy about that so after careful consideration I up that by 3-5000bpd, so 35,000bpd now since these people are doubling that means my new estimate is

66,000BPD-70,000BPD minus collection say 15-20 = current 50,000bpd not collected..........

currently blowing into gulf 50,000bpd

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Sheesh, I just hope its 0 Barrels soon. The damage has been done though. But this needs to be taken care of for our future generations.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
According to CNN, that estimate is actually even higher:

(CNN) -- Scientists now estimate the leaking BP oil well in the Gulf of Mexico was releasing 20,000 to 40,000 barrels -- or 840,000 to 1.7 million gallons -- per day through last week, the head of the U.S. Geological Survey said Thursday.

The scientists' previous estimate was 12,000 to 19,000 barrels per day.

The new estimate is of the well's flow rate prior to BP's cutting of the damaged riser pipe extending from the well's blowout preventer last week, U.S. Geological Survey Director Marcia McNutt said. After BP cut the riser on June 3, it placed a containment cap over the preventer's lower marine riser package to capture some of the leaking oil.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.cnn.com...

Up to 40,000 barrels a day, this is getting rediculous. I believe that they knew that their previous estimate was lower than it should have been. I believe that the 40,000 barrels a day is lower than reality.

--airspoon

top topics

join