It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ont. police track suspicious fertilizer purchase

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Ont. police track suspicious fertilizer purchase

news.ca.msn.com

"Police in southern Ontario are reported to be searching for a man who bought what they consider to be a suspiciously large amount of fertilizer — enough, they say, to make a bomb. "

"The 1,625 kg of ammonium nitrate is enough to make an explosive of the kind used by U.S. bomber Timothy McVeigh"
"The ammonium nitrate purchase comes as police and the military begin tightening security because of the upcoming G8 and G20 summits in Huntsville, Ont., and in Toronto."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
For starters, who SOLD all it to this person?
In my opinion if you are in the biz of selling fertilizer,the red flags go up immediately if somebody requests such a large amount.
You don't sell it to them and let them drive off with it.
Hello?
I'm not honestly too worried about this though..especially after reading this part of the article.

The suspect has been described as a Caucasian man between 40 and 50 years old with a short, stocky build. He might also be missing fingers from his right hand.

Sounds like he ain't too bright. Probably got his bomb plans off the internet.

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

My thoughts exactly on the missing fingers...that's a telltale sign of a homegrown bomb maker you would think.

Perhaps the store employee was told to go ahead and sell it to him...

This doesn't sound good...

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Signals]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

My thoughts exactly on the missing fingers...that's a telltale sign of a homegrown bomb maker you would think.

Perhaps the store employee was told to go ahead and sell it to him...

This doesn't sound good...

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Signals]

Perhaps Signals..but is the store owner partially at fault here?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
You dont have farms or farmers in Ontario?

Farmers lose fingers with machinery and tools and even hungry hogs.

Long before McVeigh people were buying massive amounts of this stuff.

One guy does something stupid and suddenly everyone thinks the worst of everyone else. That damage is far worse that the actual lives lost. It goes on for generations breeding fear and stupidity exponentially.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

One guy does something stupid and suddenly everyone thinks the worst of everyone else. That damage is far worse that the actual lives lost. It goes on for generations breeding fear and stupidity exponentially.

I agree with everything in your statement.

Until something blows up.

Why couldn't it happen again?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

It could. And eventually it will.

But while 30,000 people die every year in car accidents and 36,000 people die every year from the flu there are better places to focus "concern of death."

You have a better chance of being killed by lighting while having a three way with Marilyn Monroe and Ruth Bader Ginsburg on top of the Eiffel Tower on the 30th day of February than dying in terror attack.

With all the time, money and petty worry that goes into "terror" you'd think it was public enemy number one.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Of course we do..but that amount was enough to tip off the police.
It's not the time of year for Farmers to be buying up that much fertilizer.
I'm sure they have a system in place somewhere, that alerts them to odd purchases. As does the US ?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
why would you buy it all in one place, if making bomb? even an amateur would know better then that

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

There are some restrictions in the US but they're largely bunk as the threat they are intended to curb is itself largely bunk like filling out a form and showing a license. Because if you filled out a form you arent going to murder anyone I guess.

More than 1.5 million tons of ammonium nitrate was sold in the United States in 2003. Missouri sold 238,322 tons in 2003, more than any other state. Like most states, it licenses dealers but places no restrictions on who can buy the fertilizer. findarticles.com...

A funny excerpt from a fear-mongering piece on the ease of attaining NH4NO3.

In the same breath they tell you straight up 1.5 million tons of the stuff were bought and there were no instances of it being used for bomb making or 'terror' and then go on to remind us all that there are "no restrictions on who can buy the fertilizer."

One and a half million tons bought. Nothing happened. But oh noes anyone can buy it.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

i totaly agree.

the war on terror,

just like the war on drugs... yada yada.

they have to have some kind of war in peace time. keeps the economy on the up and up,

they ant meant to win. and its good for the people in charge.

do stuff like this. so the looking glass is on that individual. not whos relay running the game.

to think the war on drugs has been going for ages, ive been a combatant in the front lines many a time, and im winning it right now on my couch,.. so the war goes on.

just like terrorism.

and when that gets to boring for the genral public, like the drug war did ... roll out the next.

im sure the next plan will be war with aliens of some sort, real or invented, like most wars..

to force a world agenda,

a threat to the world needs a global response,

the war on drugs failed for that.

so has terrorism,

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I'm sure I have some jars of ammonium nitrate in my shed. Is this dangerous then? I had no clue. It is farm strength fertiliser. Farmer who gave it me said "if you dont like your neighbours, sprinkle some of this on their lawn and it'll grow like feck"

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
This was already posted yesterday here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please see my post in that thread. This is fear mongering by the RCMP leading up to G20 to justify the security budget. Nothing more.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Where he bought it is not too far from the Buffalo/niagara border.. if it is a terrorist thing, I bet he's already laughing his way into the US

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I have a small farm in Texas and that amount of anhydrous ammonia is not a lot of fertilizer. Perhaps for a bomb but I'm betting fertilizer as I said in the other thread.

But if the same guy bought a 55gal barrel of kerosene then it's a different story.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
[edit on 9-6-2010 by AccessDenied]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
was there a large diesel or kerosene purchase too other wise who is to say he isn't a farmer. this is just fear mongering because of g 20 or g 8 meeting.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
You would think a farmer needing a large amount of fertilizer should just be able to have it delivered to his farm. That is how they do it in Saskatchewan.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The tip off was that he DID NOT provide proper ID.

Amendments to Canada's Explosives Act passed in 2008 require a vendor of ammonium nitrate to record the purchases and who bought the fertilizer, and to alert police if they think there is something suspicious about a purchase.

Investigators say the man may be a local farmer, and the United Farmers' Union says the amount of ammonium nitrate he purchased would not even fill a fertilizer spreader.

Still, police are keen to find the buyer because it appears proper procedures were not followed in the sale. They say the farm supplier, Vineland Growers' Co-operative Ltd., did not get the man's identification.

The man who bought the ammonium nitrate "gave staff the impression he was a regular customer," but they later discovered that was not the case, Niagara Regional Police said.

Buyer had minivan and flatbed trailer .

So even the local farmers say he didn't buy enough to use for crops, but he bought enough to make a bomb with.
2+2 =
It may be fear mongering, but if the RCMP DIDN"T jump on it, they would certainly get the backlash if an event were to occur.

Source-
news.ca.msn.com...

[edit on 9-6-2010 by AccessDenied]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Though it would be very nice if the g8 or g20 were to be blown to bits, I don't see it happening. The amount purchased really isn't enough to do much with on a large farm. Maybe this guy has a cpl acres of farmland to fertilize though. Here in the southern parts of the USA the amount purchased would more than likely be used in the production of meth. While farmers do lose fingers and such as a general hazard of the job, many bombmakers are often bitten by their work. So implying that just because he had a few fingers missing would seem to indicate a level of incompetence is not neccesarily true

top topics

<<   2 >>

join