It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists present first “bread-and-butter” results from LHC collisions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Symmetry breaking

Quote from source:
It’s been just over two months since the first high-energy proton collisions took place in the Large Hadron Collider, and scientists from the LHC experiments have been working feverishly to analyze the data now pouring from their detectors. The results of these first analyses using real LHC data are being presented this week at the “Physics at LHC” conference. The conference, taking place at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg, Germany, is the first in this summer’s series of international particle physics conferences.

LHC scientists have not yet found the Higgs boson, nor any hints of supersymmetric particles; these discoveries require much more collision data than has yet been collected. But nevertheless there is excitement among the 270 conference participants, who have been waiting years–in some cases decades–for the first proton-proton collisions at the LHC. With these data, particle physicists are doing what they call “bread-and-butter” physics: rediscovering the Standard Model.

The Standard Model of particle physics is the best theory that physicists currently have to describe the building blocks of the universe. With the exception of the discovery of the Higgs boson, the model has been very precisely measured at other particle accelerators and can thus be used as a touchstone to see if the LHC detectors work properly. Physicists also repeat Standard Model measurements to verify that their simulated data correspond to real data. The simulated data, also known as Monte Carlo data, will play a critical role in future discoveries.

About damn time we heard from these hermit's!!

Good to see that the standard model is showing up because that means that the detectors are running efficiently. A little upset that the Higgs has not shown up yet, they are only at half power now though, will see what this baby can do at full power...

If they cannot find the higgs then, well, we will need to invest a little more time in particle physics I guess...

I had to share this because I love anything to do with the LHC and I am sure there are quite a few of of you that like ti too, so good to stay up to date on the topic.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
(Snip)

Yes this is great news. I'm still worried about what is going to happen in the future. I must say I am a LHC nut-case of end of the world. Always have been concerned. If you didn't know this machine was on the day when the Norway spiral was going on. Also, we've had another spiral in Australia. not to mention this mysterious spiral that happened in Brazil today. don't know if its legit.

I love the info btw of the scientific achievements.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Jordan River]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by asala]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The article states that they turned on the LHC 2 months ago. Was this sometime around the Gulf BP oil rig fire?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I want to know what they saw in their flash forwards.

Seriously though, I don't know much about physics but I've always been drawn to the LHC topic. I'll keep an eye out for what they have to say.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I have a question. Is this some-what the same machine as the Philadelphia/rainbow project. In some ways?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Nice thread! Its abit of an anticlimax when you have to wait months to hear anything significant from them, i know they have sooooo much data to go through but still
, im sure when they power up full tho that then the results will be truly worth waiting for

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

It is not good to be one of the ones that think that LHC is going to harm us in anyway.

What they are doing is making something that happens a tremendous amount of times a day and putting it under a detector. They could try and see if they could get lucky enough to find a collision with out the accelerator but it could take a long time.

These collisions happen all the time and will not pose a threat to humanity.

The spirals that we have been seeing have nothing to do with the LHC, it is just a particle accelerator nothing more. They are trying to explain particle physics and help us advance in our thinking, which to me...is what I'm all about.

Pred...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this I've been waiting for these results to start coming in. I really really hope that there's some kind of solution to the problems of the world in these new physics they are going to be delving into soon.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

No not similar at all. They are not experimenting on anyone or doing anything 'shady.' There is no conspiracy at all with the LHC, it is just particle collisions, nothing more. It has been done for quite a while now, the only thing that makes the LHC so much more exciting is that it has a significant amount of power.

I really love particle physics and spend a lot of time keeping up with the constantly changing field of science, and when they get this thing up to full power all it is going to do is help with understanding and change our fields of science.

It will be amazing and something good.

Pred...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The logic has been clear to me. Although, people do display a sorta of blackhole death event. Science is great and all. I just know what happens in the past. That being said every civilization has created this ghastly crazy machine, object, or building just before they were wiped off the map. Tower of babel. Atlantis. Again you would have to believe that these things existed. That ancient machine that was built. forgot the name. What I am worried about is the Philadelphia effect. That this machine may create a portal. and who knows what is at the other side? even if it's a 4th dimension (thing) it could create horrific chaos and rip us inside and out.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Sure, it is possible that the collisions could create black holes, but they would be microscopic and would cease to exist almost instantaneously. So, yes your right but there is not a chance that they could harm them. Do you really think that many bright people would be that close or create something that would harm humanity?

And not to say Atlantis has never existed but to say that it was a machine that wiped them out rather than a natural disaster is kind of grasping at straws. Sure it is possible that an advanced civilization destroyed themselves with technology, we have almost done it a few times ourselves, but the LHC is not one of these machines.

When we figured out how to split the atom that lead to ungodly amounts of destruction to the planet, but at the same times we advanced so much from the technology. Tremendous amounts of energy can be created from splitting the atom and yes it has been used for horrible things but it has been used in an exponentially more ways to make the world better.

Depends if the glass is half full or empty.

Thanks for the discussion.

Pred...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

It is a bit anticlimactic but hey, I'll take any information that I can get out of the team.

The amount of information that this machine can detect I am sure they will probably not studying the results for the next decade or so. To know that they have the standard model is a good thing and proves they are on the right track.

I too await the full power of the machine, because it will open the doors to new fields of science.

Pred...

[edit on 8-6-2010 by predator0187]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
The article states that they turned on the LHC 2 months ago. Was this sometime around the Gulf BP oil rig fire?

Are we really going to entertain this thought? If there was any adverse effect, im positive it wouldnt be some random mechanical error. Besides, theres a particle accelerator at CERN that has reached higher power. Can we also blame them for human error?

new topics

top topics

join