It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Madagascan bird declared extinct

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The Alaotra Grebe, a small diving bird native to Madagascar has been officially classified extinct, according to a leading bird conservation organization.

BirdLife International reported that the species, once found on Lake Alaotra, the largest lake in Madagascar, declined rapidly due to carnivorous fish being introduced to the lake and the use of nylon gill nets by local fishermen.

"No hope now remains for this species. It is another example of how human actions can have unforeseen consequences," Dr Leon Bennun, BirdLife International's director of science, policy and information said in a statement.

edition.cnn.com...

Another one of our worlds amazing creatures is gone.

How many more? I dare not count the possible loss from the recent oil spill. I dare not consider the amount of extinctions we are going to witness.

Although this bird had not suffered directly from the oil spill, it surely has suffered at the hand of man. Again, profit has come in to play here, and that is the ultimate cause IMO.

I sometimes can only hang my head in shame when such things happen as we all know just how hard and difficult it is to break away from this current societal nonsense that we are almost forced to live through.

Soylent green always springs to mind whenever I read about extinctions.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Greed and the lust for power will make it impossible for our environment to recover!

Edit to add: Star and Flag in honor of this poor animal!

[edit on 8-6-2010 by XxRagingxPandaxX]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
No ! No ! No...

That is terrible ! Really brakes my heart

Please ? I posted a thread this weekend on extinction.
Please read it and spread the word. People need a reality check. preferably right know before it is to late.

The Shocking Reality of Modern Day Extinction.

Not for me... Not for our grand children. But for our children and the animals, that still have a chance.

s&f

[edit on 6/8/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

join