It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the ban on foxhunting be reviewed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Firstly, welcome all to my first thread. Secondly, i do not in any way, shape or form condone the hunting of foxes for 'sport'.

Due to the above statement i think it only fair that i make you aware of a recent event in the uk

The London mayor has called on councils to "focus" on pest control after a fox is believed to have attacked twin nine-month-old girls in their home. The London mayor has called on councils to "focus" on pest control after a fox is believed to have attacked twin nine-month-old girls in their home.

Lola and Isabella Koupparis were mauled on Saturday night as they slept in cots in an upstairs bedroom in Hackney.
Link

As i said, i do not condone the hunting of foxes for sport. If attacks like these are because of them flourishing and becoming so bold as to enter a house for food, then i honestly think that some sort of 'control' should be brought into force.
Although foxes have been known to attack people in the past, it is rare for them to enter a house to carry out an attack.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d146e367b39a.jpg[/atsimg]

As beautiful as these creatures are, they are still predatorial and are slowly becoming less elusive. I recently had a fox running alongside my car with a rabbit in its mouth, this wouldnt be so strange if i was in the countryside but i was in the middle of an estate at about 7.30pm. What do you think? should we review the ban or should we let nature take its course with them?.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Looks like with no one hunting them, they are overpopulating. Can't you just hunt them and use them like we do (pelts, food, etc)? I am ignorant to most things Europe so I apologize in advance.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

I think alot of the problem with 'foxhunting' in the UK is the way they are hunted. They are hunted by men on horseback accompanied by maybe upto 30 dogs, all bloodthirsty for the fox. Once its caught its usually threw to the dogs to be brutally ripped to bits, if they dont get the chance to do this first.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
If your hungry and need food, kill one and eat it.

If its eating your babies, the smart thing to do would be to kill it.

Then eat it.

If your afraid of the inevitable, don't take it out on the foxes.

"Bees might sting you, and some peoples defence against them may not work. Kill all but a few bees?"

Leave em be. Only use aggression against something physically when needed. Not wanted.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
No it should not be reviewed. what should be reviewed is our lack of respect and judgement on how surpressed the animals are because of our population.

We dont own the planet neither do they.

Hey a human just killed one of our own, we should be able to kill them for sport now. It does not work.

Makes me sick, if it was less of a sport and more of a pest control maybe after we consider all other options but until then the tories better leave this alone.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

I honestly agree with your post, hunting them the way they used to be hunted is out of the question. If they need to be controlled due to overpopulation (becoming pests) and attacks like these, then it needs to be done in a more humane way.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Where were the parents of these children when this happened. Apparently they came in through a back door left open. I think in comparison to what could of happened the parents got of lightly, I mean if an animal was able to get into there house, go upstairs and attack there kids a person wishing to take them would probably have no problem.

however back to your question. No i dont think that hunting rules need to be changed. I think the fact that people are more open to them and in somecases feeding them is attracting them more into citys.

Also when it was legal how often would you see a hunt riding through London? fox hunting would not have made a difference to this unfortunate incident.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Was the fox hunting real hunting or was it some uppity douchebag paying some guy to trap a fox then bring it to his estate then release the fox so it can be run down with dogs and horses?

If the latter then the act had nothing to do with pest control. Since dogs were involved it also likely had nothing to do with the fur. Just a bunch of rich people trampling a little dog for fun.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

very true in what your saying.

Its treated as a sport not a pest control, and they are not even pests. One incident happened.

Please no knee jerk reaction to the fox attack the torys will lap it up and milk it.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hello here.

I think unless you need the food don't kill a living thing. They aren't the problem we have taken over their lands. Just keep them in wide nature areas with enough to hunt and they won't come to our houses.

Killing them i think is out of the question unless you need the food.
They are beautifull animals don't you agree?

Peace, and respect living things like you like to be respected.

Loves Vincent

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Okay... Pest control of some sort in this case is imperative. No brainer.

I personally don't have an issue with fox hunting per se... I never quite understood how that could be fun... Until I ended up with a fox problem.

After the snot got all of my chickens, two of my cats, and eluded every effort we made to stake him out an' shoot him... I can see why someone would want to round up 50 of their friends and their dogs, and go run the little bugger into the ground from horseback, and let the dogs do what they will with him.

Call me blood thirsty if you will (cause in this case you aren't far off), but there isn't any one within a two mile radius that has any chickens, peacocks, or guineas. And I caught him streaking outta the barn trying to tear into my rabbit hutch.

At this point, I would have loads of fun.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Labor didn't ban foxhunting on animal welfare grounds ; they banned it on class warfare grounds, because they hate people who live in the countryside. Those people are mainly white, protestant, self reliant, they work hard, they save hard ... attributes Labor hate.

Yes, they should de-criminalize fox hunting immediately. Why ? Because it doesn't cost the state one penny piece to allow these landowners to kill foxes. The alternative is to let the local council hire people to shoot them, at great expense and (if my experience with British local government is concerned) with very poor results.

Do the foxes suffer ? I guess so, as do millions of other animals every day of the week as they're hunted down by other animals. It's just part of life and death.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire
reply to post by ventian

I think alot of the problem with 'foxhunting' in the UK is the way they are hunted. They are hunted by men on horseback accompanied by maybe upto 30 dogs, all bloodthirsty for the fox. Once its caught its usually threw to the dogs to be brutally ripped to bits, if they dont get the chance to do this first.

That is really disturbing. How can that be called hunting? Here in Canada, at least in the province I am in, they are a protected species. But we have bigger predators that take care of population control - wolves, mountain lions. If they really need to start hunting them because they are overpopulating, it should be done relatively humanly. They just had a 71000 coyote cull here.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

Thats fine, but theres no need to go looking for them in the citys ect.

We take over this planet thinking its ours, its not. Its Everyones until learn share and be resourceful to everything we'll always have something in our way, stoppping overall peace.

You also do sound abit blood thirsty, cant you get a dog or something ?
But if you see it in your animal pen ect. Shoot it just dont track it down with 20 dogs looking to rip it up.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire
reply to post by ventian

They just had a 71000 coyote cull here.

If they had a fox cull to that degree here, im not sure there'd be many if any foxes left.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001

I honestly think that the mass hunting of foxes over the decades has helped push them into the city's. Man is to blame for more than he lets on thats for sure.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I say ban on fox hunting, hunt Bildebergers instead! When we catch one of the bloody wankers, we'll make them eat copious amounts of SPAM whilst listening to endless hours of Michael Bolton. Serves em right. By the way, is your wife a go wa? Know what I mean, know what I mean? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Say no more, say no more...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

I think its just the fact they've lost land because of us and found out how messy and disgusting we are, and they take advantage of our mess.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001

We take over this planet thinking its ours, its not. Its Everyones until learn share and be resourceful to everything we'll always have something in our way, stoppping overall peace.

You also do sound abit blood thirsty, cant you get a dog or something ?
But if you see it in your animal pen ect. Shoot it just dont track it down with 20 dogs looking to rip it up.

LOL

I have two large dogs that go bonkers every time they see it. They're fenced in though. As soon as he hears those dogs he knows that he's spotted, and he boogies out too far to shoot, or (I'm not kidding) he heads straight for the neighbors houses or onto the highway where I can't. I don't leave my dogs out all the time though, and he has waited for me to bring them in to nail a chicken. He got two in one day that way once. Plus, the dogs are in all night.

He also knows if you don't have a gun in your hand. I've been out there toodling around and spotted him. He just meanders away. Once, he just stood by the (now empty) chicken coop like 'Hey lady... You're outta chickens. Got any more? Gee, you're dogs are loud.' Just calm as can be, not 30 feet from me, with the dogs trying to tear through the fence to get at him.

It's like a friggin' cartoon. I think he's posessed by the devil. (JK. Okay... Half anyway)

I've even had one lady out here who is experienced with this sort of thing with a live trap, but he didn't go for it.

He's big too. My friend had her mare foal out in my pasture because my grass is good. The dogs were going crazy, I go look, and sure enough he was out there stalkin' that new baby. I about had a heart attack. Mare ran him off though.

My next step is to try to track him, with the German shepherd on a leash and shoot him if I see him... But, gee whiz. He's slippery. It's a thing. Plus, that dog isn't trained to track, but he's what I've got.

It was kind of half a joke. A commentary on the frustration. At this point, I can see how the 'sport' evolved.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Not a chance should the ban be withdrawn, the recent incident involved an urban fox, not rural areas which are the foxes natural habitat.

It's ironic & sad how many humans will happily kill animals and destroy their habitat. As soon as we build houses where there used to be fields & forests where foxes used to live freely, and one fox causes a scratch on a child which the mother should have been keeping better watch over - which leads to an uproar in the media about foxes and plots to kill them all.

The human race needs to get real and grow up and understand & respect nature, not expect it to always obey our wishes and destroy what doesn't in ignorance... rather than day-dreaming about next years pop idol contest and then getting upset why wild animals behave like "wild animals".

The childish media only fuels people's ignorance, immaturity and self-importance.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by john124]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join