It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US medical staff 'ran experiments on terrorism suspects'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

US medical staff 'ran experiments on terrorism suspects'

www.abc.net.au

A human rights group says United States medical personnel allegedly experimented on terrorism detainees during CIA-led torture after the September 11 attacks, aiming to improve interrogation techniques.

Physicians for Human Rights spokesman Nathaniel Raymond says the harm of interrogation techniques was allegedly calibrated to increase knowledge about the effects.

Mr Raymond says the experimentation and research "appear to have been performed to provide legal cover for torture".
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
rawstory.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
CIA Torture Methods

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I'm sure all kinds of shady activities took place. CIA Physicians would be on the cutting edge of Human Torture Techniques and Technology, of course its all plausibly deniable. But the stuff that would go on behind the closed doors of prisons we don't even know about - would be things that would give any sane person nightmares - if the true reality were no longer censored - and the real reality brought to light for public scrutiny.

ps. ABC News (Australia) is a credible news outlet.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

sorry looks like its already being discussed here, missed it.

[edit on 7/6/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Eurgh that's ugly and reminds me of the nazi's.

Rest assured i'm pretty sure 98% of people, American or otherwise despise this kind of behaviour.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Oh, my! Experiments!

All one has to do, is read the article, to see that "experiments," is just a new way of explaining torture.

I suppose we will take a softer stance, when one word is exchanged for the other!

You say this is a responsible news source, I see them even printing this article as pure propaganda!

Shameful!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Propaganda to what end? They covered 2 conflicting sides of the story.

But I agree with everything else you said.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Well, first of all these people were, SUSPECTS.

They had not been found guilty of any crime.

Propaganda meaning, experiment = torture, by way of different words.

Would you prefer to hear or read a suspect was experimented on, or tortured? The makes it clear, that one world was substituted for the other.

Torture, is torture.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

[...]
Torture, is torture.

Agreed, but the article itself is not propaganda.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I have stated time and again that the MK projects never stopped.

This is example of that, in my opinion.

The ethical rationalization is to perform these experiments on "Criminals"...or the new catch phrase, "terrorists."

My question is this...do such experiments have any validity if there is application to the public with such a rationalization? The very nature of an inclination towards criminal behaviour denotes that neuro physiology is different than "average citizenry"...

But I disagree with that...I think neuropphysiology is consistent; it's the cognitive functioning in tandem with societally available outlets...which would destroy the rationalization and focus attention on globally inequal societal oppurtunities.

In a nutshell...huge thumbs down for the people whom presume they are correctly understanding that which they do.

I posit I could do better and I am just a guy with time and genuine interest...which is not bourne of an inclination to manipulate deceptively.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Eurgh that's ugly and reminds me of the nazi's.

Rest assured i'm pretty sure 98% of people, American or otherwise despise this kind of behaviour.

Yes but they allowed it to happen.

Germans used to despise this kind of behavior too...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

[...]
My question is this...do such experiments have any validity if there is application to the public with such a rationalization? The very nature of an inclination towards criminal behaviour denotes that neuro physiology is different than "average citizenry"...

But I disagree with that...I think neuropphysiology is consistent; it's the cognitive functioning in tandem with societally available outlets...which would destroy the rationalization and focus attention on globally inequal societal oppurtunities.
[...]

I totally agree, with the exception or addition that neurophysiology is in flux and fluctuates and adapts in relation to external factors, particularly in infancy, childhood and adolescence. And hints at a 'chicken or egg' scenario in relation to cognitive functioning.

But I agree, I very much dislike the materialistic approach to science society in general values over less linear/binary understandings of environmental and spatial factors. It is my opinion nurture trumps nature everytime in relation to human conditioning.

And I agree the MK projects never stopped, and the rationalisation they provide for conducting this 'research' is most likely hiding sinister motives and future applications.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Following a six month long investigation a preeminent physician’s organization has published a major report revealing that the Bush Administration carried out medical experiments on its torture victims. This is a gross violation of the Nuremberg Code that barred the use of medical experimentation on detainees, following the exposure of Nazi experiments during WW11.

The Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) used public records showing health professionals worked under the supervision of the Central Intelligence Agency during interrogations of "war on terror" detainees after the 2001 attacks.

PHR's new report, "Experiments in Torture: Human Subject Research and Evidence of Experimentation in the 'Enhanced' Interrogation Program," provides new evidence that CIA used doctors and other health care personnel and engaged in the crime of illegal experimentation on detainees who had been tortured under the direction of the Bush Administration.

The “Experiments in Torture” report is the result of six months of investigation and the review of thousands of pages of government documents. PHR says it has been peer-reviewed by outside experts in the medical, biomedical and research ethics fields, legal experts, health professionals, and experts in the treatment of torture survivors.

The purpose of the medical experiments during the Bush years was apparently to measure the effectiveness of particular torture techniques on the victims. This is an abomination.

"Such acts may be seen as the conduct of research and experimentation by health professionals on prisoners, which could violate accepted standards of medical ethics, as well as domestic and international law," states the Physicians for Human Rights in a report it has now made public.

"Not only are these alleged acts gross violations of human rights law, they are a grave affront to America's core values," the report said.

"The CIA appears to have broken all accepted legal and ethical standards put in place since the Second World War to protect prisoners from being the subjects of experimentation," states Frank Donaghue, chief executive of the organization.

I received an e-mail informing me of the following information in relation to this new report.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ickylevel

You hit the nail on the head!

All over the western world people say how disgusting this sort of thing is, but then sit back and do nothing about it.
We are all to blame by allowing our so called elected officials to continue this sort of behavior.

new topics

top topics

join