It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***Obama's Spill Response Worse than Bush Katrina Response: Wash Post/ABC Poll !!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Americans consider the Obama administration’s response to the BP oil spill worse than the Bush administration’s handling of the disaster in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina, according to an ABC News/Washington Post poll released Monday

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aec817cec79c.jpg[/atsimg]
A month and a half after the spill began, 69 percent in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll rate the federal response negatively. That compares with a 62 negative rating for the response to Katrina two weeks after the August 2005 hurricane.

There's partisanship in views of the federal response, according to ABC, with Democrats less critical of the Democratic-led government. Nonetheless, even among Democrats 56 percent rate the federal response negatively. That rises to 74 percent of independents and 81 percent of Republicans.

By comparison, partisanship ran in precisely the opposite direction in views of the Katrina response under the Bush administration. In Katrina, just 41 percent of Republicans rated the response negatively, rising to 64 percent of independents and 79 percent of Democrats.

Source: www.newsmax.com... Monday, 07 Jun 2010 12:47 PM

Watered down ABC story: abcnews.go.com...

Well, even the Washington Post and ABC starting to turn on Obama. A ray of hope from the clouds of dispair!!!

The Man-Child just keeps proving to more and more that he is an unexperience goof. I am sure with some more On-the-Job-Trainig, he'll be alright.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d042cd06449.jpg[/atsimg]

We should have voted Palin into office. At least she would look good doing whatever she messes up (if anything).

How's that hope and change working for you all?

[edit on 6/7/2010 by anon72]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Maybe he should try this speech, and watch his popularity soar:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Washington, DC - BP CEO Tony Hayward woke up to the news Monday morning that President Obama had taken the drastic step of freezing every last penny of BP's assets, including bank accounts the world over, stock portfolios, and even the cash Hayward himself had in his wallet, until every last drop of oil is cleaned up and the leak is fixed.

"That should cook their goose," he heard the President say as he listened to the news report on the clock radio beside his bed. "Unless and until this tiny little man wakes up and smells the oil, there will be no more free lunch from the United States, and I mean that literally. That little lunch counter he and his oil buddies frequent down by the water every day as they sit there and soak up the sun is now officially off-limits. Besides, he's gonna be as poor as a church mouse come about noon today, so that's a moot point."

Hayward reached for a cigarette with trembling hands and lit one up as he sat there contemplating his next move. "Ah-ha," he said under his breath although no one was in the room with him, "the President doesn't know about the stash of hundred dollar bills I keep in my socks." But just as he got the words out of his mouth, the President continued, "oh and Tony, if you're listening, we already know about the roll of hundreds you keep in your sock for emergencies. We're gonna get that too, every last cent of it."

"And to make sure you understand the severity of this situation, Mr. Hayward," continued the President, "we are sending someone up there immediately to your fancy hotel room to help you get packed. We've found a sweet little shrimp shack on the edge of the water in Blurgwenchtth Bayou, where you'll spend the rest of the time in Louisiana until that oil mess is taken care of." "Blurgwenchtth, what the fu*k kinda name is Blurgwenchtth," whispered Hayward.

Just as Hayward was getting ready to put all his belongings in his suitcase and make a run for it, he heard a knock on the door and froze in panic. He didn't make a peep as the knocking got louder and louder. Finally, a key was inserted and the door opened a crack, "Mr. Hayward, Mr. Hayward? This is your 7 o'clock wake up call."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: www.thespoof.com...

[edit on 7-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Any candidate from both major parties would've screwed up the situation. You people need someone more independent as president.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
>People on ats complain about HUGE government all the time
>Claim they want smaller government and free market policies
>BP has an oil spill
>Corporate greed mixed with negligence is the issue
>BP does a horrible job cleaning up
>Americans and ATS members beg and scream for government intervention

What the heck am I looking at

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Huge government NO. Oversight/Correction of huge national disasters within the boundaries of the U S that effect its citizens, YES.

This is one of the areas that our government should excel at (or at least be more efficient at) by now. It's not like we haven't had numerous years of practice handling national disasters, including oil spills, and the closest comparison to this one would be the Exxon Valdez spill, which ironically BP handled, (initially) and botched up the initial phase of cleanup.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

We should have voted Palin into office. At least she would look good doing whatever she messes up (if anything).

[edit on 6/7/2010 by anon72]

Palin? Are you joking? I would have Obama for another 4 years if it was her who would be against Obama.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
BY no means am I in favor of all the choices made by this administration, but comparing a natural disaster to an accident by a multinational corporation is pure stupidity.

Having the means to save lives, providing food, shelter, and medical care to a population devastated by a hurricane is completely doable, and plausible.

Expecting TPOS to have some type of magic bullet for a problem that NOBODY is currently capable of fixing is idiotic. Putting any blame on him or his handling of the situation is pure bunk.

No if you want to talk about his choice not to immediately bring troops home, stopping wars maybe you've got something.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
>People on ats complain about HUGE government all the time
>Claim they want smaller government and free market policies
>BP has an oil spill
>Corporate greed mixed with negligence is the issue
>BP does a horrible job cleaning up
>Americans and ATS members beg and scream for government intervention

What the heck am I looking at

ATS tends to have a mixed view on the interference of the government. The most common view is, if we need interference, do it, but stay out of it most other times.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
One thing I noticed about Obama is that he’s got the exact same range of tone in his voice no matter what he says. If he says “I’m outraged that this has happened” it has the exact same tone as when he says “I am overjoyed at the progress being made”… even though the meanings of the words are totally opposite he delivers them with the exact same pitch. At least Bush had appropriate tones in accordance with the content of the message. This Obama is like some sort of programmed alien android ready to be unplugged by its handlers when it becomes obsolete.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I suppose since Obama cannot do anything else well, at least he will make sure the disasters he has as a one term president are memorable.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The only difference is, the MSM will downplay all of this. When Bush was president, they pounded him day after day for years. And Bush's disaster was an act of God. Obamas disaster was an act of BP. So the MSM will focus its wrath on BP. But it will only end up hurting democrats in the fall.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
He can't be bothered with this pesky oil spill! He has vacations to chicago, dates with michelle, concerts in the white house and golf to worry about. I read a story where Tony heyward confirmed that he hasn't even spoken with Obama about the spill yet!!!

Source

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Katrina was a NATURAL DISASTER which the Govt is generally responsible in aiding it's citizens for.

Katrina was about broken levees at sea level....in fact right on the outskirts of town !!

This oil spill.

The depth of this problem is twice the crush depth of our best nuclear submarines....just putting it all into perspective.

The Coast guard is working on picking up the oil on the surface of the gulf.

Meanwhile our best submarines couldn't even get down to those depths to help out.

People must expect the President to don his cape and just solve the problem I guess.

Or just complain as usual....Waaaahhh !

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Unfortunately for us and the US being president isn't a hands on training type of job, Obama wasn't elected because of his experience but because of his slogan, and we see where that has taken us.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

And of course you were one of the people ridculing Bush about Katrina, when at least Bush went down there within 3 days and Obama took 12, can we say hypocrite, yes we can.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ccf68177bd97.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Do people even read previous posts before they respond?

Why are people not seeing the difference between these two disasters?

How on earth are people even comparing Bush and Obama in this situation?

This a man made disaster that has no immediate harm to anyone, although the repercussions are huge in the long term.

If Obama chooses not to sway us away from oil as a main source of energy, there is something definitely fishy about his choices.

I would love to hear some honest speculation on how GWB would have handled this.

My guess is opining to the public about the difficult BP has in this situation, and quickly signing something into law that makes companies non-responsible for any damage they do to the environment.

I am not being Pro-Obama btw. Bush was just a full on neocon tard.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

You saying that the government can't do anything when it comes to the oil spill is incorrect and grossly negligent on so many levels. How about championing Congress for legislation that allows government to sieze assets of corporations responsible for disasters such as these if the response by the company is not found to be satisfactory? How about Obama calling for the resignation of the CEO of BP? Did he not sack Allen Waggoner of GM when he felt it was needed? Surely this oil spill is of much more urgency than the financial mess of a car company. How about Obama calling to the banks to limit loans to BP? Why hasn't any of this occurred? You know the answer as well as I. Obama is in the back pocket of oil comapnies as much as any other president has been.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by brocket99
This a man made disaster that has no immediate harm to anyone, although the repercussions are huge in the long term.

That has to be the dumbest statement made today on ATS. No immediate harm to anyone you say? Tell that to coastal fishermen and shrimpers and also tell that to the wildlife that has died as a result. The two disasters can be compared because both disasters have immediate repercussions and the government handling of both disasters has been an epic fail.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The problem with Palin is,

She could just announce that she accidentally pushed the RED button to launch missiles at the USSR, drop her notes, bend down to pick them up.. and all would be forgiven.

brocket99, you asked how could anyone compare Obama to Bush.. i'll tell you..

Bush did 'something' for the people who were effected.. Obama hasn't even either sent in or made sure BP sends in the army of workers it would take to get the coast clean and divert incoming oil from getting deeper into Louisiana's beaches and wetlands.. That Obama could have done.

He still can.. it needs to be done.. I am still waiting. because they have Not done this, I strongly believe Obama is letting this oil take it's toll on our coast.

They could have at the very Least made sure they deployed the BOOM correctly.. that they have still Not done.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join