It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toshiba Invention Brings Quantum Computing Closer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Superfast quantum computing, one of the holy grails of science, could be a step closer following the invention of a new device capable of producing so-called "entangled" light on demand.

NewsDaily Full Article

Scientists at Toshiba Corp'sresearch center in Cambridge, England, said on Wednesday their Entangled Light Emitting Diode (ELED) opened a path to ultra-powerful semiconductor chips.

Quantum computers would in theory try out many possible solutions to a problem at once and should solve in seconds problems that take today's fastest machines years to crack.

But harnessing the weird powers of quantum physics -- which looks at the universe at the level of atoms, photons and other particles -- is easier said than done.

Now, though, Andrew Shields of Toshiba and colleagues believe they have a key tool for the job in the form of a simple-to-make device, which can be hooked up to a battery to produce entangled light as and when required.

"It's a big step because it means you can now start to integrate lots of devices on a single chip," Shields said.

So far, the Toshiba team haven't got to the stage of doing calculations, but Shields thinks basic quantum computing circuits using the technology could be ready in five years.

Quantum computers based on optical processes need a large number of entangled photons, where light particles are linked so that they exist in two possible states simultaneously -- something Albert Einstein described as "spooky."

You go on with your bad self Toshiba!!
Five years huh? I look forward to seeing more about this in the near future.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Dear UberL33t

I am glad to see that this is happening in England.

If it were in the US you would not have heard as much as this about it.

Even so it may well still disappear.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This is very good news, we are starting to near the limit on transistor based chips and you can only pack so many of them on a single die. Manufacturing tech seems to have slowed down lately so I welcome this.

Thanks op.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This really is exciting news. Think of the possibilities, this would definitely lead to great advances in computer technology, but with its ability to help with problem solving, I can see this tech creating a new era in physics experimentation and mathematics dealing with complex logic ( as those involving mapping and calculation the orbits of things for extended periods).

I don't see why this would disappear. I can only see money being made from this. The most wanted thing in the world is money, so nothing begetting money would vanish without exploitation.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
quantum computers when they are built will not be available for public use only to be used by the military. You see it involves security and quantum computers can break any code in seconds. Then theres quantum cryptography which is suppose to be failsafe against all forms of hacking and a group of scientists have blown that out of the water. So dont hold your breath waiting for one of these to come into the shops anytime soon, try again around 100 years time

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by loner007

Being a signals intelligence Marine, I may be seeing one soon enough, since the military does get to play with the toys before breaking it down into a hundred parts and giving it to the public one piece at a time.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Santh

I may be seeing one soon enough

Be sure to keep us informed

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Five years huh?

That's his guess. My guess is you'll be lucky if you see a working machine based on this technology in 20 years, outside of a test lab.

So you can note this and see who's guess is closer. I'm not holding my breath, he's underestimating some of the issues involved in implementing this in practical devices.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

he's underestimating some of the issues involved in implementing this in practical devices

I would be inclined to agree, as far as the general public is concerned "20 years" is being rather generous!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

I agree and I think we're closer to quantum computers than many people think but it will be kept classified for a long time.

Quantum computers will also be a profound discovery because what it says about the nature of reality.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I tend to agree. Actually building a workable machine is quite a big step. First transistor to Windows step possibly.

Then again maybe you underestimate the power of money. 20 years? That's an eternity in computer technology to sellable device years.

top topics

join