It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Haggard, mega-church founder felled by sex scandal, returns to pulpit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ted Haggard is back and about to start preaching again. Haggard, once America's leading evangelical pastor, who was brought down and removed from his own mega-church after admitting to a gay sex scandal, has set up a new ministry and will hold the first service in his new church today.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
So I guess God healed him of his homosexuality and meth addiction?

I bet we haven't heard the last of this.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Hopefully he has his life straightened out (no pun intended) and is able to enjoy the thing he loves.

I met the man once, he seemed decent enough. Lets hope that he has learned a life leason.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
As I heard it from the local news channel (here in Colorado Springs) it started out as a simple prayer group in his house. The number of attendees quickly rose to over 100 and his house couldn't accommodate all of the people so he had to build a new church.

Okay, fine. Build a new Dairy Queen for all I care, but who the hell are these 100+ people who would continue to listen to this man preach after the enormous hypocritical behavior? It's one thing to be in denial of what your preacher may or may not be doing when away from the pulpit, it's another thing to KNOW that he tells you to do one thing while he does something entirely different.

People are amazing. And not in a good way.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Alora

I find it even more disturbing that this man is a millionaire. With his new church he probably will double his money. He is such a hypocrite that it is disgusting. He was the "fun police" , almost everything was off limits according to him ( especially homosexuality and drugs). That was until he was "outed" as a homosexual and drug addict. I wonder if he has changed any of his views.

His wife is just as disgusting for sticking by his side through all of this.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
He's gay. Never will divine intervention change that. It's a part of him. However, as dishonest as he is being........I find that he has a good heart. Just troubled like most of us. So he has deep convictions for God. Maybe he will learn and preach a little more compassion about humanity. Or maybe take on the Westboro Baptist Church (doubt that). There is something good about the guy. Hope he does not hurt himself and his family any more in the future.

Good for the Mrs. and her book. Hope she did make a million or so. She's got kids to take of ya know. Never know if Ted might take off for Adam or Steve.

I'm gay and really do hate hypocrites. But this guy has a family. I'm giving him a break in my little tiny nothingness opinion.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It is a real sad situation the outcome of today's so called church.

I am no better of course but that is the main idea. The main idea is to walk in love and the relatively new phenomenon of mega churches which is simply all the chicken *snip* baby boomers who figure they pissed off god in the drug/sex/alcohol laden youth are all trying to make it up to god by going to church and trying to infest government/schools/youth with their latest set of rules.

They all...baby boomers..used to say do not trust anybody over thirty and now they get down on their knees for the likes of guys like Ole Teddy Bear Haggard who looks like a rich 200 year old turtle meth head to me. (and I have had dealings with a few hundred of those freaks of nature)

They forget that Jesus came eating and drinking without condemnation. lol

Most of these brave men of god you all worship have ex special forces and retired cops doing their security for them in case they are attacked. lol

Imagine Jesus observing this...whoever you imagine him to be.

What a *snip* depressing piece of crap this baby boom generation has become.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
"Now Haggard says he wants gays and bisexuals to come to his new church, whose first few meetings will be held in the garden of his suburban home. "St James church is for anyone, and I do mean anyone... If you are straight, gay or bisexual, I want to walk through the scriptures with you," Haggard told a press conference last week to announce his church."

A kid in a candy store.........

I'm starting a church in my basement next week, and I would like to invite all hot sexually addicted women to my church for some bible education

[edit on 6-6-2010 by taccj9903]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
"Now Haggard says he wants gays and bisexuals to come to his new church, whose first few meetings will be held in the garden of his suburban home. "St James church is for anyone, and I do mean anyone... If you are straight, gay or bisexual, I want to walk through the scriptures with you," Haggard told a press conference last week to announce his church."

A kid in a candy store.........

edit on 6-6-2010 by taccj9903]

Or maybe just a guy trying to help people the only way he knows how?

Hasn't this guy been demonized enough? I was very ironic and yes very funny when all this happened.

I watched a documentry on him, he really did have it rough for a while. The man payed his dues as far as I am concerned.

If he wants to try and "help" people now that he's seen what his religion may have done to people for being different, maybe he'll do some good in the world.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

So is he going to preach that homosexuality is ok? Or is he going to preach that it is a sin? I'm sure there will be plenty of homosexuals showing up at his church so he can point out to them how they are living in sin.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903

So is he going to preach that homosexuality is ok? Or is he going to preach that it is a sin? I'm sure there will be plenty of homosexuals showing up at his church so he can point out to them how they are living in sin.

You don't know that.

He could just want to open a church to help people with their faith. That doesnt' automatically mean he's going to preach against homosexuality. That would be a bit ironic coming from him wouln't it?

You don't think that perhaps this whole experience has shown him that he should live and let live? Allow God to do the judging and just try and guide people towards him?

Whatever that may be?

You could be right as well, I don't know either. I just don't think we should jump to conclusions.

The man has been through a lot.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
wow
fire! and brimstone!
Talk about a hot piece of donkey
jesus rode a donkey
I whip you sinning donkey!
Back to the path of righteousness

Sorry I couldn't resist drawing mohammud there

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I have no idea what he will preach, but I do know that if he wants to stick to what the bible says he will have a hard time condoning homosexuality, not that I agree with what the bible says.

If he does open up his church and preaches love and acceptance, then good for him.

I think his major obstacle now is his credibility to preach what the bible says. The man is a homosexual, he can't deny that, why would he invite temptation upon himself?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Maybe IF there is a God, this whole scandal happened in order to cleanse this man of his hypocisy and to teach him about the virtues of humility.

I think the world would be accepting of his return to preaching if he simply came out and said "yes I am a human being and imperfect, yes I am a homosexual but I still retain my faith in God, accept me as I am or ignore me".

Maybe the typical Christian world wouldn't accept him, but I would bet a lot of folks would. The honesty alone would be ground breaking, and instead of living a fake lie in the closet he could be a representative for people who arent "perfect" by Christian standards.

Who could lead a group of sinners better than someone who has been there and lived it?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Yea sorry for being so angry at the likes of Teddy. I expressed myself incorrectly on this forum.

I an not any better then him (Ted) for sure.

The whole modern day church thing just stinks in my opinion and no disrespect to anyone in particular.

The traditions need to be observed in my opinion as if they are not we would dissolve into one feudal meltdown of survival yet we are seeing corruption in every corner of power...or the revealing of corruption.

I do not know which is worse.

I certainly am not a good judge of this whole approaching crisis.

And probably a very poor observer.

Anyhow peace.

top topics

join