It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you become a Conspiracy Chick?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by NickyBlue

Of course, I would not object to having some shirtless, muscle-ripped hotties sprinkled throughout the site.

Unfortunately, I don't think you would see much of that from THIS community.

Shirtless guys from around here would probably best be describes as pasty white, hairy and pot bellied.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I imagine the new conspiracy chicks show as a bunch of hottie females having a pillow fight on a huge heart shaped bed. Giggling and debating the big conspiracies of course. I know this isn't what the show is going to be but in my mind the very title of the show conjures these images. Oh how I wish that were the case.

Of course Johnny Anonymous would approve of my vision for the new show I'm sure. Whatever the new show will be though, Im sure everyone will love it regardless and I can hardly wait to see it. I will not be disappointed if it does not include the hotties having pillow fights either, but do consider it.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Most girls i know would HATE to be called a 'chick'.

Just thought i'd mention that here.

Im a chick and use the word all the time!

Maybe it's dependant on where you're from. For instance i imagine calling someone a 'chick' in say the USA is not as bad.

But if i was to call an English girl a 'chick' then i'd expect at least a slap or a poke in the eye.

As i say, though i'm not making a big deal out of it, just amused at the differences between places.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

I imagine the new conspiracy chicks show as a bunch of hottie females having a pillow fight on a huge heart shaped bed. Giggling and debating the big conspiracies of course. I know this isn't what the show is going to be but in my mind the very title of the show conjures these images. Oh how I wish that were the case.

Of course Johnny Anonymous would approve of my vision for the new show I'm sure. Whatever the new show will be though, Im sure everyone will love it regardless and I can hardly wait to see it. I will not be disappointed if it does not include the hotties having pillow fights either, but do consider it.

if that's your vision I'm glad I'm a chick who likes conspiracies and not a conspiracy chick

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Better question is why would you want to be a conspiracy chick? It seems derogatory, overly-sexualized and pandering to the lowest echelons of the human condition. Not really the step up for serious conspiracy theory related discussion.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

Why? Because it's 'female?' Is this a boys only club? Someone needs to put that sign on the clubhouse then so we'll know.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

No, because it's using your genders as the promotion of the show for no reason. No offense, what makes you or Asala any more qualified to host a show about conspiracies than anybody else. "Conspiracy Chicks," really? It sounds like it's pandering to sexualize the content in order to entice viewers. Even the press release basically says as much:

"Our two lovely ATS staffers, Julie (Asala) and Ashley (AshleyD), are the AboveTopSecret.com Conspiracy Chicks, a new addition to ATS News videos. Many of you know that there's brains behind these two beauties, based on their contributions to ATS over the years. Now, they're applying that knowledge of ATS topics to a new ATS News video show, where they'll cover what you (our members) are saying, and applying some of their own insight."

Using good looks and the fact that you are both female to somehow sell the idea. I mean, if you are both honored experts in the fields of the subjects that you will be discussing, I'll be the first to concede my disagreement with the platform. Right now though, this only seems to be an over-sexualized pandering to those with IQs below room temperature.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

With all due respect ... why can't a show be presented by intelligent/qualified and attractive women?

[edit on 6 Jun 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It can, but why pander so low and use their attractiveness as the qualifier to the show. In one paragraph in the press release they use two different way to express that they are cute. Not their qualification to have a show, just that they aren't hideous. Seems like appealing to the lowest common denominator to me. Not really what ATS should be about.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
As I stated earlier:

I think the idea is brilliant! However, I firmly believe that ATS just needs to be careful at how they portray Asala and AshleyD. I understand that making things hip and interesting is a genius marketing campaign, but others may not find the idea so "pristine". I must say that Asala and Ashley both are probably some of the smartest people on the boards and there track record proves that hands down. The women are going to give informed information and spark new and cool debate. It is up to the viewer as to how they will view the show. Will they choose to make it "sexual" or "derogatory? or will the viewers view it as informative and a learning experience. While some of the taglines, I will confess, are not my taste, particularly with the term "chicks", but there is no reason to turn that into a BIG DEAL. That is such a MINOR detail in the overall quality of the show. That there is no reason to flip out on the word chicks or even that the two women. And from the teasers this show is going to be top quality And ATS members are in good hands with the information that they will be receiving.

From the other thread: POST

It is up to the viewer to choose how they will perceive these two. I say let us give them a warm welcome for doing this for the community! Stop fighting against them, but rather support them even if you may not agree with the idea. Learn to live together as they say. And really we all know this show is going to be top notch and Asala and Ashley are dignified and respectful women who will not allow themselves to be used or portrayed in a "bad" light. Stop nip picking about the name and just enjoy the new installment of hearing from TOP quality ATS members

My 2 cents

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

It can, but why pander so low and use their attractiveness as the qualifier to the show. In one paragraph in the press release they use two different way to express that they are cute. Not their qualification to have a show, just that they aren't hideous. Seems like appealing to the lowest common denominator to me. Not really what ATS should be about.

I understand what you're saying wow ... but if I was going to object every time someone used sexuality to pitch a product I'd be spending my life objecting and junk.

*shrug*... all this was discussed ad nauseam in the announcement thread. No real inspiration or will to rehash it ...

At least you didn't invoke the "oh won't somebody think of the children" reference.

In the end it will be their skillz that make it sink or swim ... if the food is awful people won't come back to a restaurant, no matter how pretty the decor is.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Because others do it is not a justification for it. We should be better than to dilute ourselves with such triteness, don't you think? This site is built on the idea that they would be doing things different then others. You know, alternative news?

We can wait and see how they do, but we already know the outcome.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

It must be amazing to be able to tell the future considering you haven't seen anything other than a minute long teaser.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

Because others do it is not a justification for it. We should be better than to dilute ourselves with such triteness, don't you think? This site is built on the idea that they would be doing things different then others. You know, alternative news?

Well, I really don't see why ATS should be held to a higher standard than others ... just one's own standards. Should those not be met, and mindful of the fact that expectations are the building blocks of disappointment, we all as members have the right to decide to what extent we wish to participate here, if at all.

WoW, you've been here for over seven years ... from what I gather ATS has gone through massive changes as its popularity grew each pivotal juncture has been met with protestations by "old school" members. Yet the site grows and grows, and although that may not sit well with some who long for the old days, it is by all measures a successful venture for its owners ... presumably because they know what they are doing.

I'm honestly not really sure what you mean by that ... I for one will give the CC a fair shake, including the chance to grow into the roles, and will decide whether to follow or not on their merit.

I'm pretty sure that's all they're asking for.

[edit on 6 Jun 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

We had all of this on the other thread... and seriously, many people agree with you, perhaps even the majority... but It's done.
The name is the name and they decided to sell it to guys in a sexual way.... using tried and tested means used by every company the world over.

Whether you, or I or the majority of ATS likes it or thinks it's cheap and tacky is irrelevant.... because apparently it only matters that the two lovely ladies involved don't mind being used in this way.

Seriously, as SD said... this was literally done to death on the other thread and like most of these things, the final decision doesn't rest with us, but with the staff and owners, so we just have to respect that.

Peace

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
End of the day, myself and Ashley are just two girls who love this site, we have both been here for along time,
Please just give us a little respect that we both deserve,

Most of you know us well here on ATS and know that we really are about this site and that we care about the members here too,

We are not MSN girls you lot know us better than that.

Give us a chance and stand here beside us,
We are just moving with the times we are in now, it’s a learning experience, and we want you to enjoy this trip with us.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This has become part 2 of the other thread in which 2 people have had to defend themselves for no reason.

The criticisms were noted last time, and noted again.

The finished product has still not been shown, so the frankly the criticisms are simply a replay of the ones given after the teaser.

This is purposeless until the project debuts officially.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join