It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles Students to Be Taught That Arizona Immigration Law Is Un-American

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Aww, hey now!
I'm a student in the LAUSD public high school system, and I have been in charter schools as well. I'm not pregnant yet, and your stereotypical statements definitely don't apply to me.
However, my high school does suck. Don't all public high schools? Blatant drug usage/illegal substance handling,lack of discipline, shoddy administration, ties to corrupt political groups... and vandals... and thieves. Also, lots of teen parents who can't speak English OR Spanish, and instead sing lyrics from their favorite cantina songs (Google that if you're not bilingual) to communicate. About 99% of the student body is fit to flip a burger patty in five years.
I am so sick of it... and I feel ashamed for my city. That's why I'm on my way to mastering Japanese and other foreign languages. I'm definitely more open minded than my peers because of the harsh way I'm being raised.
It sucks that nerds are in short supply in my neighborhood, but we DO exist...

[edit on 6/3/2010 by Elaethyr]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Elaethyr

Good for you. Glad to hear there are some intelligent youth working to better themselves.

Whatever you do, do not let anyone pull you from the dreams and desires you have at this time. Screw the naysayers; remain true to your heart.

Raist

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

YES. This is why I'm going to a college far, far away from my hometown if I can help it. Because the biggest naysayers are the 'rents.
But they raise good, if arbitrary, points.
My dreams have morphed from never growing up to making money solely off my art to an explorer of the Marinara Trench. And as they have always belittled it, I think I may have internalized it.
But hey, all this culminated knowledge in preparation for a yearned future...it's kept me out of juvy.
This is where most people go wrong in thinking of the future... when they give their kid a cellphone and a late curfew...it distracts them from their dreams and conditions them to accept the Now instead of the Later.
And I wish these people could be saved, but there are way too many everywhere and too little people fit to fix them and nip it in the bud.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elaethyr
I'm not pregnant yet...

So, there's still time?

j/k of course, I'm sorry that you are forced to learn in surroundings not becoming of a fit educational environment.

I was lucky, where I went to high school, all the trouble makers would show up for their free lunch then leave.

Schools are becoming more and more like day care centers for our new glut of stupid children (and the babies they have). Pretty soon curriculum will be voluntary and these places will be exposed for what they are--vacuous sinkholes of taxpayer dollars to occupy the next generation of scoundrels and a stage to propel sports athletes with double-digit IQs to college.

I hope you don't get lost in the quagmire, smart people need a lit pathway.

Things are getting just as bad up here in Oregon. Tons of kids in the 9 to 11 grades, very few seniors on pace to graduate.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Yeah, I just found out that my current high school has a 50% graduation rate.
And we've bombed the tests so badly for several years before this year, that we're on some Choice thing that will allow charter companies to take over and try to "remodel" the students.
My awesome Standardized Testing scores are probably lost in a sea of Far Below Basics...
Also, they don't allow freshmen(like me) to take AP courses. QLC??
I guess I'll have to take Trig over the summer and risk being mistaken for a mathematically retarded senior...

Edit to improve word choice.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elaethyr
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Aww, hey now!
I'm a student in the LAUSD public high school system, and I have been in charter schools as well. I'm not pregnant yet, and your stereotypical statements definitely don't apply to me.
However, my high school does suck. Don't all public high schools? Blatant drug usage/illegal substance handling,lack of discipline, shoddy administration, ties to corrupt political groups... and vandals... and thieves. Also, lots of teen parents who can't speak English OR Spanish, and instead sing lyrics from their favorite cantina songs (Google that if you're not bilingual) to communicate. About 99% of the student body is fit to flip a burger patty in five years.
I am so sick of it... and I feel ashamed for my city. That's why I'm on my way to mastering Japanese and other foreign languages. I'm definitely more open minded than my peers because of the harsh way I'm being raised.
It sucks that nerds are in short supply in my neighborhood, but we DO exist...

I know, I was going for the cheap laugh more than anything. And it was a statement about public schools in general. Glad to see that you got it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bad Ninja

any law that sacrifices our rights and freedoms is un american.
Does anyone remember WHY this country was formed?

I'll wager that when they stop your mother and detain her for hours while verifying her legal status your tune will change.. unless you are so sure you wont be profiled.. Hmm...
this law expects officers to use racial profiling to fix a problem the state doesnt really want to address.
they want to take the easy way out, and allow unjust profiling and racism to complete the task.
Pathetic... and very un american.( quote)

You must have missed the whole part about leaving the race baiting at home.

Have you actually read this bill?

I've never been called unAmerican before, maybe you can call me racist, bigoted, hate mongering as well? Does that make you feel better? How about some warm milk to calm down.

When I get pulled over, get on a plane, vote, get a drivers licence, I MUST prove who I am. If illegals don't, then am I not the one being recriminated against?

I've always wondered, why aren't the legal folks from Mexico doing more to expose illegals if they are so"afraid" of being profiled?

If you have ever read any of my posts before, and I seriously doubt that, you would know my other half is 2nd generation legal from Mexico. How's that racism looking now? Oh, her, and her family in NM, love this bill.

If LA keeps this up, once November hits and the libs go down in flames, don't be surprised to see a lot of contracts flow out of that city. Wonder if AZ supplies the power directly to this school?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bad Ninja

If you have a belief that a form of profilling is not occuring within law enforcement than you are either ignorantly ignoring the issue or blissfully blind.

It is also stated within the legislation that race, color or creed shall not be a determining factor in the stop. It is a nice piece of CYA and also a smart provision as it rather FORCES officers to only apply the law accordingly under a lawful encounter.

What you failed to address is the school boards determination that this law is un-american, when it has not even been applied yet nor challenged in a court of law.

The questions presented are: Will the school board force their schools under their jurisdiction to present both sides? Will a real discussion ensue or is this just political pandering?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I've taught in urban schools. And if the truth about what goes on ever hit the public, they would be shocked.

YOU THINK YOU KNOW HOW BAD IT IS! WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teachers fight to teach junior and senior classes. Why? Most of the students have dropped out by then. Sometimes there will be only 4 students in a senior class. And usually, they are the best of those that started 9th grade.

The class work is on an 8th grade level usually if its a class full of blacks and Hispanics. I knew one teacher who used to be an editor who quit when her seniors couldn't read superman and batman comic books, BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T READ THEM. A newspaper, forget it.

Now let me be honest. Many teachers are scared of putting too much work on black students. Some work, the rest complain to their mothers, dads are missing. Those mothers complain to the principal. That teacher, if not tenured, loses their job.

Asian students work their asses off in class and usually are more shy. Black students, usually, being honest now, work harder to get out of work, than doing it.

BUT THEY WANT THE HIGH GRADES AND BITCH WHEN THEY DON'T GET IT.

Difference?

Chinese students want the knowledge first, high grades second.

Blacks want the high grades, forget the knowledge. For them appearances count more.

Why are schools a mess? Nobody corrects this mess.

New teachers that complain will be run out of the field. Tenured teachers play the game, and are mostly racists. If they think no one is listening, they're discuss how blacks are less intelligent and ruder. But in public, they'll swear they love their students.

And promise you, if you only gave them more money, they'll correct the problems which lead to a 50% high school drop out rate among blacks.

And of the ones who do graduate, they'll make sure they can read above a 8th grade level.

And if you think an 8th grade reading level is bad among black high school graduates, wait till you find out how stupid they are in math. That is like 4th grade.

This problem is two sided. Many lazy blacks screaming, yelling, fighting, skipping classes, tossing books on the floor, just wanting to have a good time.
When they fail, they'll blame the whites.

Lazy overpaid administrators and principals who want to please parents, not their teachers, who look out for those honest new teachers who they know will become upset with the crooked system, and cause trouble are run out of the system.

How do you run out good teachers and keep bad ones? EASY!

Evaluations, you make up anything you want on them as a supervisor.
Nobody evaluates the evaluation system.

This is WHY the schools in America went from the best in the 50s to a joke in 2010.

European children learn better English than blacks and Hispanics in American schools. Can speak and write it better.

But what if blacks really aren't as smart? Are their failures as good as it gets?

Is all the money thrown on them and urban schools down the drain?

Truth is. Just by statistics, if whites and blacks were truly equal in intelligence then chances are, in some cities, the performance of blacks would surpass than of whites. It would have to.

But its not.

Black students don't fool themselves like white liberals do. They don't think they're as smart, but think Asians are. That is why black boys are always chasing either white or light skinned Hispanic females. They want their prize.

And when you don't believe you can do what someone else does. You might fall into the habit of making that other person feel guilty in not handing over what they got.

Blacks are very good in demanding things from others, but what others demanding equal productive behavior from them in society?

What if we demanded that they pay their own prison bills, the costs in society of them not pulling their weight. All the tax money to take care of them when it could have put to more productive use in industry.

Blacks play more than they work. Whites and Asian work more than they play.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Seriously, Caucasian people, why are you still in California? Leave now before you find yourself in Mexico territory! That is their plan! This is why it is being allowed to fail and go bankrupt, so we can say "Just let the Mexicans have it, it is worthless anyway."

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ATS_RL

Wow RL, don't hold back now, tell us how you really feel!

Seriously though, I have heard similar comments from more than one teacher. This is one of the reasons why I voted for Obama, I know, I know, huge mistake, but I thought that maybe his example could help black kids to believe in there being roads to success other than just sports or hip-hop music. meh.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Are some of you confusing disgust in an unjust law that encourages LEO to racially profile citizens as accepting illegal immigration?

Now that's living in one's own little world isnt it?
Why criticize a bill you haven't even read?

www.azleg.gov...

Page 7, Lines 28-30.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
California state law, allows LEO's to do, basically, the same thing that the Arizona law does. Yet the holier than thou folks seem to ignore that fact.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Laws aren't worth anything and the legal system is garbage if some things, like minor possesion of a plant are over blown, very important things, like the invasion of our country are ignored.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ATS_RL

I looked at my work habits after reading your post and found another answer to why students and teachers always ask me if I'm an ethnicity other than Mexican.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by technical difficulties

Are some of you confusing disgust in an unjust law that encourages LEO to racially profile citizens as accepting illegal immigration?

Now that's living in one's own little world isnt it?
Why criticize a bill you haven't even read?

www.azleg.gov...

Page 7, Lines 28-30.

For some reason I can't edit my post. Disregard what I said, I actually read the bill, and that part was about employment.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by technical difficulties]

[edit on 21-6-2010 by technical difficulties]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join