It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glock 34 - an embarassing confession

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I posted a while back about my super stupendous new Glock 34, well I shot it for the first time this past weekend, and it really was super stupendous. Perfect function, astounding accuracy, and awesome 18 round capacity.

The problem was that the blocky grip profile slayed the joint/knuckle at the base of my thumb after just 2 mags. Now I'll admit that I was shooting 9mm +p+ loads (I have a sizeable stash of Federal 9BPLE), but even so, I can still feel it nearly a week later. The SigPro I shot side by side with it felt like a .22 with the same loads, I could have (and did) shoot that gun all day.

So I hung my head in shame and admitted defeat. Sold the Glock for a (small) net loss, and picked up a new SiG P228R yesterday as its replacement, a gun I happened to have 4 spare magazines for. The timing was perfect, allegedly these are the last of the P228s, and I got one with the short trigger and factory installed Trijicon nightsights.

That weekend turned into something of a shooting trip all round (as opposed to a family vacation) - with a trip to J&G in Prescott to peruse their selection of $350 AKs not to mention their incredible cheap combloc ammo mountain. Also found a new gun store up there with a new FN SCAR-L on sale for $1400, all because of a minor blemish on the tan plastic furniture.

Cool moment of the week was when we walked out of J&G alongside a mom and her 2 very cute teenage daughters, one of the daughters was heard to say "oh mom, I think Dad's going to LOVE it !!", you've gotta love living in the US. Still embarassed about the Glock though, me and my wussy hands, shameful.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yeap...................Keep taking the Red bull...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Not a huge fan of the glocks. The Sig is a nice one tho.. I am jealous.

Seems you picked up some nice hardware. /jealous

Wish my budget had more room for such tools.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I don't really like glocks. I don't know what the big hype of them is. Sigs are quite expensive too. You should check out the new springfield xdms, haven't shot the new xdms, but I know the xds are good and I like them a lot better then glocks.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Personally, I like the new Taurus pistols.

I have a PT-845. It's been reliable, accurate, and very comfortable to shoot.

Some of my buddies who have the expensive handgun brands were rather surprised at how well the Taurus performed.

Considering the price-point for them verses some of the other brands like Kimber, or Colt. It works.

Still, a choice of ones guns is like choosing a comfy chair, or a saddle.. it's personal on many levels, so what works for the OP, may not work for me.

Diversity is the spice of life.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tempesillest

I tried an XD45 when they came out and quite liked it, but the grip was a little too large for me.

I am something of a gun whore, but have settled on HK and Sig as the only brands I really have much interest in - although I do like Beretta .22s.

This week's cleaning list consisted of:

Beretta 21A
Smith & Wesson 642
SigPro SP2009
Glock 34
SiG P228R
Ruger LCP

That kept me busy for a few hours. On inspection the LCP recoil spring was found to be completely shot, so that needs replacing, not to mention the installation of a TacStar side saddle on my Remington 870. Not being much of a gunsmith I'm surprised I managed it so successfully - but having 6 Brenneke Rottweil slugs riding side saddle to 6 rounds of 00 buck gives me a warm feeling when the security light goes off in the middle of the night.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Nothing worse than finding out a gun you really want doesnt "fit" you as it were.

Buy that SCAR immediately. You could turn it around on GunBroker, blemish and all, for $2,000 easy.

I'm tempted to get contact info for that shop and put it on my credit card.

Though there is the suspicion in my mind that perhaps they are not selling as well as it would seem they are and such a massive price drop for a simple cosmetic error may be indicative of an overall product price drop on the SCAR rifles.

It must be quite the blemish to warrant a $600+ knock off of MSRP.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by tempesillest
I don't really like glocks. I don't know what the big hype of them is. Sigs are quite expensive too. You should check out the new springfield xdms, haven't shot the new xdms, but I know the xds are good and I like them a lot better then glocks.

I agree I love my XD's I have a 4 1/2 inch and 4 inch barrel models in 40, if you don't like the way a Glock feels you'll love the Springfields.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I wish it was more then just $600. But thats my money issue, not the general public's. hehe

I'm rather crest-fallen over prices for the most part. Gun taxes and then ammo taxes as it is, is making it hard to pick up some things.

Take for instance the 30.06 round. So much of the stuff laying around in stockpile, but it's still over $1 a round. ugh

anyways.. I regress.

A SCAR is a nice firearm. Not sure of the application of such an item.. Then again, I live up here in a major hunting state. so...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I have messed with a few of glocks...guns...I'm just a tinker person, do a bit of trigger work, and custom metal work...
But any ways, not that I'm standing up for them...I don't care for the grip either...
The recoil issue can be fixed, its due to a "feature" as they promote it, the one where they fire it under water..to show reloading consistancy..and lack of malfunctioning, that is done by using very light or weak "compaired to other manufacturers", spring in the slide mechanism of the auto loading assembly ...thus relying on a bumber stop...so in esence, every time it cycles a round it creates shock when the slide bottoms out for the next round.

You can make it so it is rather nice, but you loose the advertised guarantee..that it'll cycle under water.

At least 5 years ago, it was that way...they could have changed it again by now...I would not know.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I went to my favorite gunshop the other day to pick up a Glock 19. The guy I usually buy from refused to sell it to me until I tried the Ruger SR9, Ruger's answer to the Glock.

Let me tell you, This is the finest weapon I have ever owned. It came home with me after firing off a 17 rnd clip that comes with the SR9.

It is also cheaper than the Glock, thinner, and feels much more solid. I recommend that if you ever have a chance to fire one at a gunshop where they let you, do it.

I got a three inch group out of the box with all 17 rounds at 15 yrds. 6 inch at 20, and 10 inches at 50(which is beyond the capability of most pistols).

[edit on 3-6-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Never liked the feel of a Glock.
May try the Sig next.
And as for the Springfield--------if it feels like the M1911A1--I'll pass.

The web bite for my hand just won't cut it.

Worrying about whether the hammer bites rather than concentrating on the target is not a good thing.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I have owned a Glock 34 in the past and carried it as a duty weapon , very fine pistol but it does like most glocks require rather large hands to deal with the blocky grip, which I personally like. I always hoped that glock would come out with a single stack 45acp in that sized frame I most certainly would buy one. But I will stick with my 1911s for now.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Let me tell you, This is the finest weapon I have ever owned. It came home with me after firing off a 17 rnd clip that comes with the SR9.

I have heard a lot of people lavishing praise on the SR9, I really need to take a look, especially as they actually make those in Prescott (the location of my failed shooting trip).

PS - 17 round magazine please, calling it a clip is strictly gang banger territory unless you have a Garand

PPS - Congrats on making mod

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   

link   

link   

link   

link