It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's here: guns for food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Anyone who listens to GCN at all is familiar with the commercial for one of AJ's many re-edits of the same movie he puts out over and over. The creepy music and low voice describing the Orwellian dystopia of the not-so-distant future ala Robocop, Total Recall or Starchip Troopers fictional newsreel.

He always asks: will you turn in your guns for food?

Why wait for the dystopic future? Folks in Texas get to make that choice today!

For the first time in Central Texas, a law enforcement agency will take a gun off your hands, ask no questions and give you money for groceries.

Identification won't be required to turn in a weapon through Guns 4 Groceries, a program sponsored by the Austin Police Department and the Greater Austin Crime Commission that will allow police to buy guns in exchange for grocery store gift cards. Source

In Texas of all places. Have a pilot run in a "gun friendly" state and constantly repeat "this isnt about revoking a right" and see how it pans out.

Guns arent cheap. $100-$200 dollars isnt even a third the value of most firearms for anyone legitimately selling and certainly isnt enough for a black market firearm.

I predict a whole lot of broken POS's will be traded in or some rusted solid neglected antiques but I seriously doubt anything of substance will be traded in for a bag of groceries.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I predict a whole lot of broken POS's will be traded in or some rusted solid neglected antiques but I seriously doubt anything of substance will be traded in for a bag of groceries.

Have you been to the store lately?
You can't go in and get a one bag without going into debt.
I bet there will be a LOT more turn-ins than you think.
Sad isn't it.
Really really sad...

peace

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I would not be surprised if a lot of stolen guns get turned in.

Now will Texas check and return them to there rightful owners or do like Calif and destroy the and never tell the rightful owners that the weapons have been recovered.

In Calif thieves are taking guns just to turn them in at gun buybacks.

In one case a shotgun from a stolen highway patrol undercover car was turned in to a LAPD gun buyback and the LAPD never told the state highway patrol or returned it.

The state highway patrol was not pleased when they found out from the BATF.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
That's been done here in Northeast Ohio many times. The thing that cracks me up is looking at the guns that get turned in - pure crap! The good guns are still on the streets.

Also to add, a good gun in the hands of good marksman can feed a family of four for a very long time!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I was just thinking the same thing. $100 would feed my family for a few days but a good rifle would feed my family for a very long time!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Pretty soon this will be a common goal for the gov't.

You can disarm the populus by giving them generous trades, I.E, groceries.
Next thing you know, will be guns for cash.

Then guns for debt payoff.
Then, turn you neighbor in if you think he has too many guns...

Its never good for the gov't to implement any trade deals for guns.

Communist Manifesto: Best type of gov't controls the housing, commodoties, money, and disarms the public.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Well sorta. It depends on where you are, (currently anyway) hunting laws and all that... We take two deer every year in November, and that keeps us (family of three) in meat until about well... now.

If the SHTF, and screw the laws, and every man/woman for themselves, then heck yeah. However, the deer population would plummet like the economy, and just about as fast.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by redhorse]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
That's been done here in Northeast Ohio many times. The thing that cracks me up is looking at the guns that get turned in - pure crap! The good guns are still on the streets.

Also to add, a good gun in the hands of good marksman can feed a family of four for a very long time!
I have seen the results of some gun 'buybacks' also. As in.. very old, nonfunctional Daisy and Crosman BB and pellet guns. Paying $50.00 for a broken POS, single pump BBgun, with a street value of less than nothing????
Not to mention the danger that this weapon(:duh
poses to the public is that of an easily broken, non-ergonomic CLUB!

I can't believe that they still waste tax dollars on these stupid, feel-good programs!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

True, but there are also rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, grouse.......... not to mention my vegetable garden. Right now, as things stand, the deer come out in daylight to eat my flowers and chicken food. I could see that changing if TSHTF, but I could still see game being available.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
You're right about the POS being turned in. They collect a lot of old guns, and probably some stolen guns as well. Any self-respecting Texan would not turn in a perfectly good firearm for a bag of groceries, especially when you can hunt your own groceries with said gun.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Here we are stressing over laws being passed to try and take our guns, when these little programs will end up taking more off the street than anything else.
If TPTB knew WTF they were doing they would ease these programs around, they'd have more luck.
Just not with me.
You can have my gun when you scrape your brains off the floor, wipe yourself off and try again.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
In a constitutional sence this is the same as giving folks food to keep thier mouth shut. Or say like the Fed paying off a state not to exercise its rights.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare

True, but there are also rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, grouse.......... not to mention my vegetable garden. Right now, as things stand, the deer come out in daylight to eat my flowers and chicken food. I could see that changing if TSHTF, but I could still see game being available.

LOL! I was thinking of editing to add that one may want to look into some recipes for squirrel. You nailed that one. I have one that drops stuff on me while I am weeding below his tree. I'd eat 'im in a heart beat... If he'd hold still.

I have the same problems with the deer. The cheeky buggers climbed into the back of my truck once to get at an alfalfa bale I had left there. They chase my cats down the drive way. I'm amazed something that cute can be that obnoxious.

I've shot my deer the last two years at less than fifty yards crouched behind a hay bale on my back porch. They are indeed all over the place.

Regardless, I respectfully disagree with your assertion that there will be a continuing supply of game available. Right now, there is plenty of game...(Case in point: cat-harassing-hay-stealing-$%#@!!!-stupid deer) But with 3 hundred million give or take, to feed, it would be wildlife armageddon in short order. One would have to begin ranging pretty far to look for even small game within a month or two if you live any where near a metropolitan area.

White tailed deer are considered the most numerous of large game and there are 30 million of those. Mule deer... even less (although we're swimming in them here). Elk fair a little better than mule deer, and moose... Good luck, unless you're in Minnesota, Michigan or Alaska. Most small game is good for one meal, maybe two.

In a rural area I'd give it anywhere from six months to two years- depending on the agricultural base- for the game populations to become severely depleted. All of this of course is mitigated variably by the cohesion of the communities and their ability to provide a solid, local agrarian base (and defend it), and the ability of the environment to support game.

Long story short, human beings have a rather intensive way of using the environment. There are too many people for the natural resources available to support us in our current population. Period. Not enough animals, not enough forage.... Just not enough.

Even with a garden and your own livestock, in a worst-case scenario, you would get shot for your forthought, and resulting resources pretty quickly. If a community banded together it is possible, but even then, they could be over run, and would certainly be raided.

If you have food, and there is no social infrastructure, the hungry will find you, and take what you have. This has been proven in times of war, and general civilization collapses over and over again. The results in terms of human behavior toward one another, and the impact upon the local natural resources are grindingly predictable, and it's ugly.

Laws of nature. Enough would have to die that the 'natural' order of things could sustain the remaining population balanced within the symbiotic system.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think I will hold on to my guns. I can hunt with my gun but not with a chicken leg.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Reply to post by IcarusDeepSea

You can go crabbing with the chicken leg

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Off topic:

True, in the hands of someone who knows how to:

1. use a firearm correctly
2, Hunt with sucess
3. Dress and fix a slain animale

Survival will be rather good.

I do not think a majority of the population have the skills or know-how to do this. People are too used to the ease of going to the store.

Many have lost hte hunter-gather skills we had 100 years ago.

I expect the die off of a lot of people once the store shelves go bare in a SHTF scenario.

On-topic:

NO self-respecting person with good working and in-order firearms would trade it in for a gift-card. or at least I would hope not.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Very good points...all. Yes, this area would be over run and everything in the wake would be slaughtered. Gardens would be ravaged, storehouses would be raided. I imagine even if one were willing to share - with so many needy coming to the country you'd run out if you gave in, and you'd be killed for the little you did have.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
lmao I am starting not to like this state I live in.

:bnghd:

new topics

top topics

join