It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michio Kaku : oil could gush from the leaking BP deepwater well for years

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spookfish
Wow must be true coz a guy who imagines physics says so. And this from the twat who scaremongered about black holes and the LHC. I wonder what the BP engineers have to say about string theory and quantum fuzziness.

Scratch that I've just heard from The Cookie Monster, he says the oil could stop yesterday relativally speaking.

Kaki is an establishment shill and only barely more coherent than that other overrated twat Hawking.

I think Kaku angers you because he is beyond briliant. The fear of accepting his new ideas creates the anger.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Here is some idea what US is heading to...

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Biodiesel from a hemp is a brilliant idea. I would like to see glistening hemp fields 'from sea to shining sea.'

The oil will probably continuing leaking out until the ocean is killed. Such is the power of greed and ignorance.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
man this summer is gonna blow for my friends on the gulf. If they even live there any more after this summer, its tragicly ironic that the oil started spilling on earth day, and almost fate that this summers hurrican forcast is the worst ever. amazing times we live in

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Michio Kaku FTW!!!

I have a man-crush on this guy.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
We need invest in corn!! People corn can b made into polymers, which can be melted into MANY products...and its biodegradible!! That along with hemp, wind power, solar power...we would need a LOT less crude oil...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If a hurricane pushes oil up the coastline maybe oceanfront property will get sold off on the cheep! I could buy a dope beach house for penny's on the dollar...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Plumber here well I was, retired now.
I need to know why they didn’t try this option first? It is what I would have done if I had a water leak.
Or better yet, why didn’t they unbolt the large valve on top and bolt on a new one?
Guess that’s why they makes the big bucks and I’m just a broke old man.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Sad to say, friend, but all you say could have been implemented 20 years ago.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 535cataclysm

You are very wrong, there would be no use raiding Hemp farms as Industrial Hemp has absolutely no THC content which is the ingredient in Cannabis which makes one high, you could smoke Industrial hemp all day long and all you are going to get is NOTHING, you are NOT going to get high.
Industrial Hemp is not a drug. The two plants may resemble each other but they are not the same!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

You haven't even got a clue what you are talking about! Have you ever researched HEMP? Hemp not Cannabis! There is a vast difference!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Objectivity

Sad to say, friend, but all you say could have been implemented 20 years ago.

Oh I know that. That's why it pisses me off even more.

Can you image how different the world would have been?

No Al-Qaeda. No US presence in the middle-east. Almost no hate of America in the middle-east. No wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. No support of dictatorship in the middle-east. No oil disasters. No massive deficit ruining the US. No 4000 troops killed. No war machine lobby taking over...

But eh, what do you know, corrupt scum run the system.

Time for people to take back the government from the corrupt scum who is owned by the oil lobby, the war lobby, the drug industry lobby and the textile lobby so we can implant this type of industry in the US and export it anywhere in the world so people can become self-sufficient...

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

the plants dont even resemble each other.

hemp grows straight up and is just a stalk, has no branches and gets between 10-20 feet depending on the region and strain.

whereas MJ has a more complex root system, branches like crazy, and is much bushier(smaller inner-nodes), and only gets 6-8 feet also depending on strain/region.

side by side one would look like a tree and the other a bush/shrub. i think the only thing that is the same are the shapes of the leaves, and even then one has short fat leaves while the other has long skinny. and hemp doesnt bud the same, its buds are more sparse and leafy. infact they arent even really buds they are more like leaf clusters.

hemp is usually "sativa" but can also be "ruderalis" or a hybrid of the 2. i know of no desirable indica qualities in hemp growing other than resistance to mold/frost and other regional setbacks but thats usually why they cross is with ruderalis.

ruderalis is the smallest of the 3 subspecies and has no photoperiod, it only gets like 1-2 feet tall, but finish's its blooming far earlier than the other 2.

they all look like different plants.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by LurkerMan]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution
When Mr. Kaku speaks, I listen up, and although people here have been touting this as a worst case scenario - to hear it from him is terrible sign.

The professor has always been my favorite since I first seen him exposing himself to the cirtically undereducated. I agree with him. BP is only appeasing the general masses for action regardless of consequence. The investors want oil not excuses. Experts advised against the cut but BP proceeded regardless. Now it is our mess to clean because BP assets will soon be bought out and all liablilities end with the sale. Geez, we didn't see that coming?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Many people think the "relief well" is as simple as drilling into the same pocket of oil and all the oil and pressure will magically be diverted to the new well.

Thats not what they are attempting. They are attempting to intersect the current well bore that is about a foot across.

About 3 miles below the sea floor.

Under a mile of water.

If they miss, they have to back the drill out, change the angle, and start over.

It HAS been done before, but in much more shallow conditions, both of water and drill depth. I honestly don't expect them to hit the mark the first time.

I just hope that the "top hat" works well enough to stop most of the leak. As noted, the "top hat" has to be removed during bad weather (tropical storms).

The first Hurricane is going to be...I don't even want to speculate. What a mess

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Attention!, Achtung!, Attencion!!!

This even is a precursor, and a sign that the end is near

The 4th and final beast (the most diverse nation of people) will tread down the earth. shall break it in pieces and stomp out the residue thereof.

this is a strong sign of the times, and if this continues, the whole worlds oceans can become exceedingly more polluted then they have already been before the spill. REPENT REPENT your Worldly ways, and look for God. HE is the only one that can save you, and all you need to do is love and obey his humble command being a servant of peace and understanding and love for your neighbor and everyone else in this world.

PLEASE HEED THIS!!! READ THE KING JAMES VERSION OF THE BIBLE, BEWARE FOR VERSIONS SUCH AS NIV NWV CHILDRENS VERSIONS, STUDY BIBLES. NKJV, THESE ARE SATANIC VERSIONS THAT HAS AT LEAST 4000 MISSING WORDS AND SENTENCES.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AABacon
Don't get me wrong, I agree with your statement, but why is it that we are not using it already, if it is so great? And why is no other developed nation? Or is there a world class or any class nation, using hemp productively with good results?

Canada, Germany, England, France, Hungary, Poland and Romania are world leaders in industrial hemp production.

I believe Canada had about 50,000 acres going a few years back.

However hemp stands against a powerful international oil cartel lobby, logging lobby, and chemical lobby which places hurdles and restrictions in the way of global acceptance including: licensing, land use restrictions, vehicles produced to not work with hemp based fuels, etc.

Think about it... does England, France, Hungary, Poland, or Romania have the land to produce massive amounts of industrial hemp?

Nope.

Canada does... but they only "license" a certain (relatively small) number of acres to be used for hemp farming each year.

google keywords:

dupont hemp
marijuana tax act 1937
paper industry hemp
industrial hemp oil cartel

AUSTRALIA began research trials in Tasmania in 1995. Victoria commercial production since1998. New South Wales has research. In 2002, Queensland began production. Western Australia licensed crops in 2004.

AUSTRIA has a hemp industry including production of hemp seed oil, medicinals and Hanf magazine.

CANADA started to license research crops in 1994. In addition to crops for fiber, one seed crop was licensed in 1995. Many acres were planted in 1997. Licenses for commercial agriculture saw thousands of acres planted in 1998. 30,000 acres were planted in 1999. In 2000, due to speculative investing, 12,250 acres were sown. In 2001, 92 farmers grew 3,250 acres. A number of Canadian farmers are now growing organically-certified hemp crops (6,000 acres in 2003 and 8,500 acres in 2004, yielding almost four million pounds of seed).

CHILE has grown hemp in the recent past for seed oil production.

CHINA is the largest exporter of hemp textiles. The fabrics are of excellent quality. Medium density fiber board is also now available. The Chinese word for hemp is "ma."

DENMARK planted its first modern hemp trial crops in 1997. The country is committed to utilizing organic methods.

FINLAND had a resurgence of hemp in 1995 with several small test plots. A seed variety for northern climates was developed called Finola, previously know by the breeder code "FIN-314." In 2003, Finola was accepted to the EU list of subsidized hemp cultivars. Hemp has never been prohibited in Finland. The Finnish word for hemp is "hamppu."

FRANCE has never prohibited hemp and harvested 10,000 tons of fiber in 1994. France is a source of low-THC-producing hemp seed for other countries. France exports high quality hemp oil to the U.S. The French word for hemp is "chanvre."

GERMANY banned hemp in 1982, but research began again in 1992, and many technologies and products are now being developed, as the ban was lifted on growing hemp in November, 1995. Food, clothes and paper are also being made from imported raw materials. Mercedes and BMW use hemp fiber for composites in door panels, dashboards, etc. The German word for hemp is "hanf."

GREAT BRITAIN lifted hemp prohibition in 1993. Animal bedding, paper and textiles markets have been developed. A government grant was given to develop new markets for natural fibers. 4,000 acres were grown in 1994. Subsidies of 230 British pounds per acre are given by the government to farmers for growing hemp.

HUNGARY is rebuilding their hemp industry, and is one of the biggest exporters of hemp cordage, rugs and fabric to the U.S. They also export hemp seed, paper and fiberboard. The Hungarian word for hemp is "kender."

INDIA has stands of naturalized Cannabis and uses it for cordage, textiles and seed.

ITALY has invested in the resurgence of hemp, especially for textile production. 1,000 acres were planted for fiber in 2002. Giorgio Armani grows its own hemp for specialized textiles.

JAPAN has a rich religious tradition involving hemp, and custom requires that the Emperor and Shinto priests wear hemp garments in certain ceremonies, so there are small plots maintained for these purposes. Traditional spice mixes also include hemp seed. Japan supports a thriving retail market for a variety of hemp products. The Japanese word for hemp is "asa."

NETHERLANDS is conducting a four-year study to evaluate and test hemp for paper, and is developing specialized processing equipment. Seed breeders are developing new strains of low-THC varieties. The Dutch word for hemp is "hennep."

NEW ZEALAND started hemp trials in 2001. Various cultivars are being planted in the north and south islands.

POLAND currently grows hemp for fabric and cordage and manufactures hemp particle board. They have demonstrated the benefits of using hemp to cleanse soils contaminated by heavy metals. The Polish word for hemp is "konopij."

ROMANIA is the largest commercial producer of hemp in Europe. 1993 acreage was 40,000 acres. Some of it is exported to Hungary for processing. They also export hemp to Western Europe and the U.S. The Romanian word for hemp is "cinepa."

RUSSIA maintains the largest hemp germplasm collection in the world at the N.I. Vavilov Scientific Research Institute of Plant Industry (VIR) in St. Petersburg. They are in need of funding to maintain and support the collection. The Russian word for hemp is "konoplya."

SLOVENIA grows hemp and manufactures currency paper.

SPAIN has never prohibited hemp, produces rope and textiles, and exports hemp pulp for paper. The Spanish word for hemp is "cañamo."

SWITZERLAND is a producer of hemp and hosts one of the largest hemp trade events, Cannatrade.

TURKEY has grown hemp for 2,800 years for rope, caulking, birdseed, paper and fuel. The Turkish word for hemp is "kendir."

UKRAINE, EGYPT, KOREA, PORTUGAL and THAILAND also produce hemp.

UNITED STATES granted the first hemp permit in over 40 years to Hawaii for an experimental quarter-acre plot in 1999. The license was renewed, but the project has since been closed due to DEA stalling tactics and related funding problems. Importers and manufacturers have thrived using imported raw materials. 22 states have introduced legislation, including VT, HI, ND, MT, MN, IL, VA, NM, CA, AR, KY, MD, WV and ME, addressing support, research or cultivation with bills or resolutions. The National Conference of State Legislators (NCSL) has endorsed industrial hemp for years.

thats from www.thehia.org... (Hemp Industries Association)

Sri

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
What will happen to the Atlantic conveyor, when this oil saturates it? I'm willing to bet, that if we think the weather has been erratic the last couple of years, we ain't seen nothing yet!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by saabacura

you're saying we couldn't have an educated and enlightened, world wide society if you and most all other citizens went without cars. That we couldn't live confortably and intelligently without electricity. I think you are not that creative if you do. There are plenty of other options, not including such controversial ideas as a "free energy device". (Although I do believe such things are personal.
You can build a house that cools itselft in the summer and heats itself in the winter with simple design principles that utilize the sun, underground shafts, and other principles that require no power. Boats are an effective and safe means of travel that require no power. We can communicate world wide without the use of the internet, with a good mailing system. Obviously I am leaving out an infinite number of other simple alternative options that would take nothing besides short term sacrifice, and open minded and creative thinking.
I am not honestly advocating a complete return from our current technological advancements. I am just saying that we are not dependent on oil in the true sense of the word... we are addicted. There are workable, capable alternatives.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Rubbish

BP has the best people working on rw1 &2 August mid is speculated and is taken into account 3 misses. From an oil producing country we know of these things, the problem or biggest issue is tapping into a wild well which is @ 50%.

With a corrupt govt and MMS running this crud perhaps it's time for Americans to change the govt. also taking troops from Afghanistan would show us positive steps.

and so i leave you with explanation

تَكْبِير

[edit on 5-6-2010 by jeffrybinladen]

[edit on 5-6-2010 by jeffrybinladen]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join