It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 2,300 running for Congress, most in decades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Article

WASHINGTON – Discontent with incumbents and anti-Washington anger are adding up to a potentially record-breaking crowd of congressional challengers this election year.

More than 2,300 people are running for 471 House and Senate seats in the midterms. It's the highest number of candidates in at least 35 years, according to data provided to The Associated Press by the Federal Election Commission, which began tracking candidates in 1975.

Frustration, particularly on the right, with President Barack Obama and his Democratic agenda appears to have contributed to the surge. The field is heavily Republican, with almost twice as many GOP candidates as Democrats, and several hundred independent and third-party challengers.

I had no idea there were this many people running for Congress!!!! More than 2,300 for only 471 seats.

This could very well be a change in our political system. The article said several hundred indeptendent and third-party challengers are also running. This is pretty good news, atleast to me. Im hoping alot changes - for the good. These are interesting times no doubt.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Interesting. That number was a suprise to me as well...and I try to keep up with political news as best I can. One thing is for sure, there will be a lot of unhappy candidates.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This is definitely good news! That's almost five people running per seat. Hopefully some independents will get into those seats. We really need a third party to somehow break away from the republicans and democrats.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by aenfroy87
This is definitely good news! That's almost five people running per seat. Hopefully some independents will get into those seats. We really need a third party to somehow break away from the republicans and democrats.

That or Dems/Rep who aren't afraid to go against the current and views of their party. I am a perfect example of that...I am a Democrat but I am conservative. People need to vote by issues rather than party.

top topics

join