It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California college establishes scholarship for illegal aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Santa Ana College will dedicate a scholarship for illegal immigrant students in memory of 27-year-old immigration activist Tam Ngoc Tran of Garden Grove, who was killed in a crash involving a suspected drunken driver in Maine on May 15.

I'm sorry, but shouldn't a public community college (supported with taxpayer dollars) be required to report Illegal Aliens to ICE rather than give them a semi-free ride?

The college is creating a $2,500 matching scholarship in Tran's name and is hoping that more people come forward with donations to add to it. ...

www.conservativeoutpost.com...

This is ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Political correctness has turned the world into something I don't even recognize anymore. Sure it's not a great amount of money but more the principle.

IRM

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I can only hope it's a trap to get them to apply so they can then be deported.

Besides, what's an illegal alien who quote "only does jobs Americans won't do" unquote need a college degree for?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Massachusetts passed into law a measure that denies in-state college tuition for illegal immigrants.
see my other post here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I can only hope it's a trap to get them to apply so they can then be deported.

Besides, what's an illegal alien who quote "only does jobs Americans won't do" unquote need a college degree for?

I doubt this is a trap, I am sure they are totally serious about providing this scholarship only to Illegal Aliens, I wonder if it also applies if they are going for a Law degree.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
That is the dumbest idea I've heard in a while.

Lets support crime by offering scholarships for criminals.

Thats it, I'll start it now.

www.collegeforcriminals.edu

I'll make bank.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hasnt everyone learned to basically say to hell with California already?

The state is obviously a lost cause.

We should simply build a wall around CA and tell them they are on their own. Let them suffer the consequences of their idiotic choices.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC
I'm sorry, but shouldn't a public community college (supported with taxpayer dollars) be required to report Illegal Aliens to ICE rather than give them a semi-free ride?

This is ridiculous.

Yes of course they should report it to ICE. I wonder if they get any takers and why wouldn't ICE put that scholarship on their watch list and just nab whoever claims it?

Why not give the scholarship to LEGAL immigrants? What's wrong with that? Sheesh.

When did we lose the ability to tell the difference between right (legal immigration) and wrong (illegal immigration)? It was sometime after 1965 but when you see stories like this it becomes apparent it's getting worse every year.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Born and raised in California but had the 'pleasure' (whatever that is worth) of living in the east for 12 years. California is being taken over, it is not the place where I grew up and you are seeing things like this because in those areas it typically is nothing but one ethnic group. Please do not let stories like this taint California but act quickly in building that wall because what we have is infectious. Of course you could probably cut off the top third of Cali and give it to Oregon or Arizona, it isn't that bad yet. Just let me know first so I can get the hell out of the valley before you lock us in lol.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassey222
Born and raised in California but had the 'pleasure' (whatever that is worth) of living in the east for 12 years. California is being taken over, it is not the place where I grew up and you are seeing things like this because in those areas it typically is nothing but one ethnic group. Please do not let stories like this taint California but act quickly in building that wall because what we have is infectious. Of course you could probably cut off the top third of Cali and give it to Oregon or Arizona, it isn't that bad yet. Just let me know first so I can get the hell out of the valley before you lock us in lol.

You might want to start packing then, because with Mass. and 18 other states looking at Arizona type laws, Cal. might be left out in the cold by the rest of the U.S.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This entire thing violates Federal law that stipulates any person or business that aides an illegal immigrant, in terms of housing, money, or hiding their identity, is breaking the law.

Further, what if I just threw out my birth certificate and claimed to have gotten here via Canada? Maybe on a boat from Cuba?

I mean it's ridiculous.

I will never understand why people allow others to profit from successfully breaking our laws. Period. And yes they profit -- they get an education that the rest of us would simply have to actually pay for.

If general consensus in this country is that illegal immigrants should not be treated as illegal, then the current laws need to be changed. However, until that time comes, we need to follow the laws currently in existence.

I've never seen more people jump on board with a program or idea that basically deems some laws are worthy of being followed while others can simply be ignored.

There are democratic processes in place to have laws amended and none of it involves breaking laws to get it accomplished.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Weidner repeatedly emphasized to FoxNews.com that no public funds would be used for the scholarship.

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., whose district includes the taxpayer-funded Santa Ana College, says that isn't quite true — because the scholarship diverts resources from Americans in need of education funds.

"The fact that a public employee of a public college is seeking to circumvent immigration laws is problematic," he told FoxNews.com. "The fact that it's being associated with a public institution means there's public funds involved: If you have a fund being operated by public employees, it's public."

www.foxnews.com...

Hopefully Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is investigating this more thoroughly.
Here is his web site if you want to contact him and show support.

rohrabacher.house.gov...

[edit on 1-6-2010 by RedmoonMWC]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I have a big question for everyone. How does an illegal immigrant even get the needed paperwork so be able to go to a community college or a university? If they are illegal they don't have legit papers showing that they live in the United States. How do they even get admitted?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by black cat

I do not know about universities, but I do not think you need any sort of paperwork to take community college classes. All you need to do is fill out some forms and pay tuition. In order to apply for Federal Financial Aid, you may need documents like a social security number. I don't know if illegal aliens can file for Federal Financial aid because an ITIN may suffice, and many illegal aliens have ITIN's.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

You're not supposed to ask those questions. You're not supposed to realize that in order to apply for college, for a license, or even to attend school an illegal has to provide false information along the way.

Falsifying information is merely considered necessary when one is illegal.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint

I don't know if illegal aliens can file for Federal Financial aid because an ITIN may suffice, and many illegal aliens have ITIN's.

An ITIN does not suffice according to our own government:

What is an ITIN used for?
ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system.
IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.

Source: www.irs.gov...=96287,00.html#what

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
We are getting some good replies here with some great info, but where are all the posts defending this schollarship?
No one wants to step up and defend this.
I wonder why?
In my opinion it is indefensible and this "college" should loose its funding.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is not new other colleges do it too.
The difference is this one in Cal. is a public college rather than Private.

Some private colleges have offered financial aid to students, regardless of their immigration status. For example, The Tennessean reports that Lipscomb University, a private, liberal arts institution which has admitted and provided financial aid to undocumented students for years...

"It would be fine with me if our government took the lead in this immigration conversation," explained L. Randolph Lowry, president of Lipscomb, to the Tennessean. "But as the federal government is doing whatever it is or is not doing, we are graduating Hispanic students from Nashville's high schools. Taxpayers are paying for that whether they are documented or not. . . . So the question becomes, 'What's next?'"

www.citytowninfo.com...

What's next?
Require that all students no matter the grade level be in the country Legally, I know I had to provide birth certificates and proof of immunization for all of my children before they could attend kindergarten, let alone college.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Oh my, what a beautiful thing! I mean, giving these poor illegals a college fund of their own.

Here's a kid that was probably on his way to Stanford. Too bad his life was cut short by an illegal.

www.latimes.com...

I wonder if their going to establish a fund in the name of Jamiel Shaw II?

top topics

join