It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Kabul had rock 'n' roll, not rockets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I saw this and I was surprised... (like here - old thread it could well be down to my niaveity or willingness to accept what is thrust upon me by MSM).

Stirred by the fact that news portrayals of the country's history didn't mesh with my own memories, I wanted to discover the truth.

A half-century ago, Afghan women pursued careers in medicine; men and women mingled casually at movie theaters and university campuses in Kabul; factories in the suburbs churned out textiles and other goods. There was a tradition of law and order, and a government capable of undertaking large national infrastructure projects, like building hydropower stations and roads, albeit with outside help. Ordinary people had a sense of hope, a belief that education could open opportunities for all, a conviction that a bright future lay ahead. All that has been destroyed by three decades of war, but it was real.

Have a look at this, if it's too long just look at the pictures.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by and14263]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It wasnt called "Rio de Janeiro of the East" for no reason...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamitrios
It wasnt called "Rio de Janeiro of the East" for no reason...

Is that for real? I didn't know that. It would be interesting to hear from any ATS members who may have spent time there during the 'better' years.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Υes it is real. People like Mick Jagger and other celebrities, hung out in the pools of the luxury hotels in the 70s. That was before in 76 the country got overrun by the russians.

Afghanistan used to be a very modern country till that time, with a nice balance between religion and modern life.

Its sad to see what happened to them

Edit to add picture of Kabul in tthe 70s (students at the University. NOTE THE MINISKIRTS)

img139.imageshack.us...

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Dynamitrios]

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Dynamitrios]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I know a woman that lives down the mountain from me, who was Afghanistan during the early 70's, when she was a hippe traveling around southern Asia on one of her "journeys". She was telling me Afghanistan was a very different place, even meeting young college students around her age who liked smoking weed and listening to the Rolling Stones. It was very pleasant experience, she told me.

So yes, Afghanistan was once a very different place, as was Iran at one time. Iraq too.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
it seems that when you go back and trace to what caused the change in those countries, it would all seem western intervention.

britain in iraq
britain & usa in iran
russia in afghanistan

all countries using asia and the middle east as their battleground during the cold war

while the uncivilised westerns were fighting world wars, asians were trying to get by. now tables turned.

top topics

join