It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Revives Voyager 2 Probe at Solar System's Edge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hi ATS

Do you remember that the Voyager probe didn't work properly and all those threads about
it being sabotaged or taken over by aliens ?

Well they still don't know what caused the glitch... However... I'm happy to tell you all that it is fixed.

NASA engineers have fully revived the far-flung Voyager 2 probe on the edge of the solar system after fixing a computer glitch that scrambled its messages home for nearly three weeks.

A single bit flip in one location in the 33-year-old probe's memory storage caused the problem, and was remotely reset Sunday by engineers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. After a computer reset, the Voyager 2 is back on track, they said.

The malfunction began April 22 while Voyager 2 was flying 8.6 billion miles (13.8 billion km) from Earth in the heliosphere, the magnetic bubble that surrounds our solar system. Mission scientists could not decipher the probe's science data messages and put the spacecraft in an engineering mode to just send health updates to Earth.

What do you think about that ?

The real question is, will we ever know.

Source.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Er well a bit flip was the cause. Did you not read it? I think V1 is the furthest out but I could be wrong. No telling what kind of radiation these two probes will encounter as they leave the Sun's influence.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Here you go...

The actual cause of the computer glitch is still unknown, NASA's Voyager 2 project manager Ed Massey

edit:
The other probe didn't ran into any problem whatsoever. It's allso deepest in space.

[edit on 5/31/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
man they have the energizer bunny beat.
thye just keep going and going and well.
33 years its a testament of engineering they haven't broke down more

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

I believe it is the biggest conspiracy of all.

Why fails my tv after 5 years but a space probe still runs smoothly after 33 years ???

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

Why fails my tv after 5 years but a space probe still runs smoothly after 33 years ???

I agree, I can't even get 15 mpg of gas with my vehicle, how is it that a space probe can keep running for 33 yrs. and not have to stop to "fill up" or recharge it's batteries once in a while?

Oh yeah, I remember, the useless eaters aren't allowed to have the "free energy", they have to stay enslaved to the grid.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It is nuclear, and it uses very little power... I don't know much but I understand how this thing keeps working because I've looked into its crafting. I will admit it seems fishy that they would be able to get such a good signal from it at all is confusing for me... does it use light to communicate?

[edit on 31-5-2010 by theuhstuf]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
no it uses radio my god people LIGHT????? lolol how can It still be working after 33 years when my tv wich was built in china for 50$ only lasted five??
man these post just get worse and worse .
THE VOYAGER has spacecraft's radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs). now unless you feal like glowing in the dark you may prefer stoping for gas . The RTGS are plutonium battery's wich buy the way will continue to produce power for the next 5k years .
Now I love the space program and know alot about this stuff but dont any of you guys know how to even use Google?
my 200$ TV LAST 5 YEARS COMPAIRED TO the 500 million NASA spent on v2?
your joking ????
wake up in SCIENCE classnssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...
now read any thing you want to know about v2

[edit on 31-5-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
They make space probes out of the most exotic materials known when they create them. They are made a lot more durable than your normal apliance. Besides that no company will build you a TV that will last for life because they want you to have to buy a new one after a time. Just like cars.

Also there is no corrosion going on out there. Earth's atmosphere is harsh on all elements.

Look at how long the Mars Rovers are lasting...they are only still alive because mars is blowing the dust off the solar panels. Imagine how long those little rovers would last if they had installed simple solar panel wipers on them. Just wipe once a month would have extended their lives for??? long time.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Xeven]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
O please not more No corrosion In space you say?
just from the hot cold hot cold as it spins you get corrosion metal fetige broken wires a fliped 0 .
it is coroding just very very slowly .
gamarays just what do you think that does to metal hummmm x rays and so on photons solar wind .
no they just built it well It wont be much longer before it finly goes quite forever and 100k years from now passing through the next system will be a pitted radiation burnt hunk of metal the the letters still readable VEG OR .
upon which aliens who watch startrek reruns will build a death machine and come back and blast the earth.
Maybe you should study real science instead of the scifi channel hu

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
So, basically sounds like they did what I do when my pc tweaks out...curse, reboot...repeat as necessary.

Wipers on the rovers?

Sounds good in theory, but have a look at how bad the ice damage to Phoenix was. Would have to use some pretty exotic anti-freezing material for the wipers themselves to protect the surface of those panels, I would say...

And I thought my wife's feet get cold...yikes!

CDS

ps: Makes me wonder, though....why did phoenix suffer such damage from ice and spirit and oppo didn't?

Mobility making that much difference?

Landing site/ geographic temp differential?

OMG - SOBs do have wipers??!!

ETA: ps

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Cole DeSteele]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I've got take a stance right here and now.

Let me tell you this. I,me,personally have proof of the conspiracy.

Once upon a time ago when I was just a little boy 7 maybe 8 ??? 20 years ago for sure, back in 1990.
I experienced the joy of ripping the paper from a birthday gift. A Nintendo entertainment set. All 8 bits of it along with the bigger then life cartridge containing Mario Bros.
Still get emotional holding NES cartridge...

There was one problem...No TV...
But my luck was about too change when my
grand parents bought a new TV. I sort of confiscated it...being their first grandson... I was a little spoiled.( Don't worry they are old and immobile. I spoil them now.
.)

Anyway... The TV. was already a classic. Their first color TV. With 12 you have to get up to push them to change channels which could be set with small switches One each channel ) to tune in.

I kid you no. Being an oldy when I got it the thing still works without any problem whatsoever.It could be just as old as the voyager space probes.

If it could be done then ??? Why not know. I don't think it works on nuclear energy.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cole DeSteeleps: Makes me wonder, though....why did phoenix suffer such damage from ice and spirit and oppo didn't?

Mobility making that much difference?

No.

Landing site/ geographic temp differential?

Yes. The rovers landed near the equator and Phoenix landed near the pole.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

I have a tv in my attic thats 23 yrs old and still works do you want that
maybe you DONT look after things very well.

These probes were not built like your TV remember that

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I remember our first Nintendo.......

Not sure I am smelling any conspiracy here, but Thanks Sinister for posting this thread, I was not aware of the location of this, or that it had a glitch at all.

Very interesting stuff, I was just checking out some Voyager pics of Saturn's rings last night, I had seen them on TV and noted that in a couple of the pics, when they were magnified, definately have hexagon shapes in them, and they are not artifacts, they are acknowledged as being in the rings, but not as hexagons. I thought it was possibly a link to why there is a giant hexagon on the top of Saturn.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Yeah it was a really big thing here for a while.

Link

The Nintendo was only subject of a reply

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
my 200$ TV LAST 5 YEARS COMPAIRED TO the 500 million NASA spent on v2?
your joking ????

yeah if anyone wants to spend $500 million on a TV I'm sure we can make it last the rest of your life. And if you act now, 20% discount, only $400 million.

Seriously though, I wonder why it took them so long to reset it?

It's nice to see this lasting so long though.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
It was probably getting DDoS'd by extraterestrial hax0rz from Planet X.
2nd line.

top topics

join