It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parallel Universe! The home test!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Ok was reading an article about a test you can do at home Link here
Couldn't find a discussion on here about it, and was intrigued to find out what , you science experts out there thought about this test? I didn't have a clue if it was indeed true what he was saying or not.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I just read the article and will try it later. It's pretty interesting. I know there are several higher dimensions that scientists have yet to completely understand, maybe this is one of them.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Interesting stuff, and I'll give it a try. However, I can't help but side with David Deutsch's critics who say (according to this report):

"It should be added that most physicists disagree with Deutsch�s conclusion that what is detected in this experiment is another universe. For brevity�s sake, the argument against can be summarized as, there is something interfering with the light in this experiment, why does it have to be a parallel universe? Why can�t it be just be left to something that we don�t yet understand?"

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Mindsmog,
Pretty sweet! I took the Crimson Trace Laser grips off my Kimber 45. cal Tactical Pro and used them for the experiment. I would probably be more puzzled however if I had better knowledge of the priciples of physics. Can't wait to spook some friends with this demonstration.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Darn, I have no "laser". I knew I should've gotten a "laser".

Nutzo

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I saw this experiment on T.V. a program about Super String theory and alternative or parallel Universes. Cant remember the title of the program but it had a Pysisist(SP) in it, a oriental guy with longish gray hair, who accepted that Multiverses were theoreticaly possible. Pretty cool experiment tho, i have no experience or formal schooling in Pysics so i cant comment on the validity of the results.
EDIT: Edited for typo

[edit on 9-6-2004 by Janus]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Timeline.

I assume you've all read Crichton's work? If you read the book, Timeline (No, not the movie! *anger* That won't teach you anything! Everyone knows that those damned censors won't let us learn anything. They have to depend on profits, and if there's anything educational or useful there, it's just GOT to be taken out.), you'll hear the same experiment. Ergo, I heard about this over a year ago, even prior to when the book came out. (Not to mention having read up on String Theory-- research that if you would like to hear more about parallel universes.) He also explains the pattern better. (Aye, writers are usually much better at explanations than scientists, but scientists know what they're talking about inside and out.) Back to my point.

Read Timeline, and more of Crichton's works. Brilliant guy. You'll learn about parallel universes. Need someone to talk to about said topic? [email protected] -- email me.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Cant remember the title of the program but it had a Pysisist(SP) in it, a oriental guy with longish gray hair, who accepted that Multiverses were theoreticaly possible.

I would bet you are talking about Michio Kaku (Theoretical Physics at the City University of New York).

*Click photo to visit his web-site*

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
It's also interesting to read how parallel universes would relate to the structure of our universe. As in, what shape our universe and other universes would appear as if we were an outside observer...

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This experiment is quite a famous one for illustrating how light acts as a particle and a wave at the same time. I don't claim to really undertand it, but it has something to do with the way overserving an experiment can have an effect in the outcome of the experiment itself...I think. All very legit.

There is a really good article by Seymour Cray that goes into this and takes it a step further... and he's a pretty brainy bloke!!

americanhistory.si.edu...

Towards the bottom of the article in the section labeled "Wave/Particle Duality and Computers", he discusses this experiment and considers various of ways to "cheat" the system... quite er.. thought provoking!

[edit on 9-6-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I have ready the Fabric pf the Cosmos and it covers this experiment very well. I have also tried this at home previously. Very neat experiment. I recommend the Fabric of the Cosmos for anyone interested in this stuff.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I don't see a reason for parallel universes in this experiment. If you simply see light as a wave, the experiment is nothing more than an interference experiment. Deutsch wants to explain this particle/wave duality with parallel universes, which might be true, but I don't think this is required to explain the phenomena.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by Janus
Cant remember the title of the program but it had a Pysisist(SP) in it, a oriental guy with longish gray hair, who accepted that Multiverses were theoreticaly possible.

I would bet you are talking about Michio Kaku (Theoretical Physics at the City University of New York).

*Click photo to visit his web-site*

Yes! Thats him! Very intelligent and interesting guy, made all the math and Science seem easy to understand. Hes a good figure skater as well lol.
EDIT: Edited for typo ( Damn fingers! )

[edit on 10-6-2004 by Janus]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Granted I know nothing about physics apart from some very basic principles and the most fundamental jist of general relativity that we all learned in high school.

But, couldn't it simply be that just as light is cast on the wall, so are the shadows of the opaque material between the slits? i.e. the shadows are cast an extra time as well once the new slits are made, covering more of the light than was visible on the wall before, because the slits are "sharing" the shadow of the opaque material since it exists between each pair of slits?

[edit on 10-6-2004 by AceWombat04]

[edit on 10-6-2004 by AceWombat04]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   

But, couldn't it simply be that just as light is cast on the wall, so are the shadows of the opaque material between the slits? i.e. the shadows are cast an extra time as well once the new slits are made, covering more of the light than was visible on the wall before, because the slits are "sharing" the shadow of the opaque material since it exists between each pair of slits?

No, since shadows are just an absence of light. Casting a shadow on an illuminated bit of wall doesn't remove the reflected light that is already there. You can confirm this by doing the experiment in a "macro" fashion, with large holes in the paper and a regular flashlight. Adding an extra hole would always create more pools of light on the wall rather than less..

Actually, this thread got me thinking..

does this wave/particle duality effect have any implications on how our eyes actually work? Though we shouldn't try it for obvious reasons, what would be "see" if we observed the experiment directly? ie. by observing from the position of the wall? Maybe we're all using artifects of this penomenon in every day "seeing", but because it's right before our eyes, as it were, we don't notice?

OR, from an experimental point of view, what if we used mirrors and lenses to "re-focus" the multiple pools of light generated by the interferance pattern BACK through a set of slits?
HMMMMmmmmm....

[edit on 10-6-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I will have a go tonight, but what happens if I damage the fabric of the Universe or cause a Dimensional rift, (apart from having a good thread topic)

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mickjb
I will have a go tonight, but what happens if I damage the fabric of the Universe or cause a Dimensional rift, (apart from having a good thread topic)

Oh.. just tell 'em it wasn't you.. it was the other three. they made you do it

seriously though.. If you're going to try this, could you take some digital photos of the results as well? you'll need a long exposure and a very dark room I'd imagine.. if it's possible at all..

Then, if you CAN get an image, say with a 20 second exposure...

1. take a photo with two slits (wave inteferance pattern)
2. then with 3 slits (particle parttern)
3. then some with one of the slits covered for 50 % of the time, so we get a "double" exposure over time..
4. try placing the camera where the wall is, and photographic back through the slits..

Just curious...

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I'll try to get some photos,just got to remenber where me laser pen is.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
hmm very interesting indeed. I dont know so much about a par. Universe but more in time and space. I dont think that a simple radio shack laser can cut through the fabric of time and space and show us a par. Universe nonetheless It was a interesting article and Ill be trying this for myself.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
All's this is, see, is a breakdown in our poor explanation of the universe. Photon theory is based on the idea that light travels by means of little packets of energy.

What you're seeing (we did this in college physics lab) is simply the interference pattern of WAVES of light cancelling each other out.

Remember when you were a kid in the bathtub? you could scoot up and back and create one big wave slopping around you in the tub---a standing wave. Then, if you moved out of sync with the wave it would almost totally cancel itself out. That is what is happening. If you had used white light and a lens, you would have seen rings of light and dark. The two dots that dissapeard are where a ring of light (positive wave-form) has cancelled out a ring of dark (negative wave) from a neighboring hole.

Newton noticed this effect more than 200 years ago, and wrote about it in his "Optics." He suggested it as a test for inaccuracies in lenses.

Particle theory doesn't allow for additive power of energy. But wave theory does. The problem with quantum theory is that it has dropped the wave-evidence for electromagnetic radiation; it only explains the particle side of life.

Any good physics textbook ought to explore this. Remember, in science, the simplest explaination is almost always the best.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join