It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 most toxic places in the world

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner

Originally posted by ScarletNyx
reply to post by Darkrunner

Indeed, that would be better.

But this is mankind we're talking about here. It's in our nature to destroy ourselves..

You are correct, Dark. It is in our nature. It is in our animalistic nature to destroy mindlessly without regard for how it effects the rest of our race. But if we work extremely hard at every single small action we take, be it throwing trash out of the window in our car or meditating every day to delve inwards, we can heal this Earth. As that process slowly unwinds itself through hard work, vigilance, and dedication, we will shed our animal tendencies and become even more human - Rational, caring beings who want nothing more than to search forevermore for whatever healing technology and power we can find.

Do not forget She is a living entity too, and as such we, Her caretakers, can help Her regrow into what She once was.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by ScarletNyx]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by ScarletNyx]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

Ask yourself a question. Would Earth be in better shape with or without 7 billion humans running roughshod over it?

I think that answers itself....

Well, I am not going to wish for their destruction,

I was raised in a very fundamentalist household, I was raised on hell fire and brimstone and the future Armageddon,

I remember praying my whole life time for the creator to have mercy on humanity.

I was always terrified for mankind.

[edit on 083131p://bSunday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Wise and thoughtful words -- well said.

Each and every time I wash dishes or flush our toilet, trees and other plants are watered (ceptic tank leech field goes to breadfruit, mango, papaya and naseberry trees, gray water goes to garden). Even with that, I know that I waste water that others in the world might kill for.

We have the ability to capture rainwater and filter it, drink it. But when the skies are so full of toxic crap that the water is rendered unfilterable, what then? Solar stills to cook the junk out of it? I think it will come to that.

I think it's prudent that we all at least learn the principles behind a solar distiller.. It doesn't take much in the way of materials, UNLESS a person waits until they need it to start scrounging.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Whew. I thought Alberta's oil sands was going to be there for sure with all the bad PR they've gotten the last few years.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread.

I hate starting a thread and then not being able to keep up with it, but I lost power for a few hours today from a storm and got behind on the discussion. I will be going through and trying to catch up but if I don't get back to you, it isn't because I don't appreciate your feedback.

I'm glad this thread was of benefit to some of you, and I hope we can all take something positive away from it.

Peace.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
S&F for you. Having seen some of these up close I should have known better than to look at them before breakfast, I'm not very hungry now.

I do my bit by recycling and picking up, trying to use only products that are environmentally friendly, and educating as I can. But pictures like these make it hard to continue.

We have only a finite amount, what are we leaving our children? A friend had been trying to talk me into giving a college seminar with him on recycling, I'd been resisting for the wrong reasons. I just called him and said when and how many.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It staggers the mind to think that some of the oldest civilizations on earth are so primitive. What could be the reason that the people in these places do not do something about it? It is like ignorance and apathy are inherent in some cultures. I do not want to sound like a racist, and I am not one, but I have to wonder when I see predominately caucasian societies modern and progressive and organized...they would never tolerate filth and abuse of the land.

The we look at the other cultures, and one can imagine easily that if modern man had never stepped foot into south Africa, lets say below the Sahara, and we visited it for the first time today, we no doubt would find it as it has been for millenia, tribal and uncivilized.Left to their own devices, it seems like most other cultures never progress. Indians are one of the oldest civilizations on earth and look at the place. Awful.

I cannot blame the people alone, and it is always the corrupt upper classes that cause such radical messes, but the proof is in the facts, and the facts say that there are few societies where living standards are above the primitive and despicable , and they for some reason just happen to be caucasoid in nature. Just wondering..

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Ever been in a lab?

Introduce an organism in a fertile petri dish?

The organism will thrive...for a time. Until the waste it creates begins to
overtake the fertile resource available...and then the organism dies
in the waste it has created.

Earth = petri dish
Humans = organism

Once again, if we do not police (for ourselves) our own population growth
....the PTB will do it for us

...it's inevitable

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
i noticed one mistake

La Oroya, Peru
La Oroya is a soot-covered mining town in the Peruvian Andes. Ninety-nine percent of the children who live here have blood levels that exceed acceptable limits for lead poisoning, which can be directly attributed to an American-owned smelter that has been polluting the city since 1922.

The government of Peru nationalized this smelter in 1974 and has been the polluter not a American company.

Peru nationalized all the mines in there country and when the American owners and engineers left as the pollution equipment broke down it was left inoperative because the government of peru had no idea or the skilled people to repair it.

The smelter, now the city's main employer, was established in 1922 by the American Cerro de Pasco Corporation, who ran it until 1974 when Cerro was nationalized and became part of the state owned Empresa Minera del Centro del Peru S A, otherwise known as Centromin[5]. In 1993, the Peruvian government decided to privatize Centromin. In 1997, 99.97% of the La Oroya smelter was acquired by Doe Run Peru, a subsidiary (now an affiliate) of the Renco Group, for approximately US$247 million. The acquisition consisted of a capital contribution to Centromin's Metaloroya of US$126.5 million and a purchase price payment of US$120.5 million[6]. Doe Run Peru also bought the Cobriza copper mine for US$7.5 million to maintain concentrate supplies to the copper smelter[7].

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
I agree that the earth is being destroyed by humans and most don't care about pollution

but the #16 picture of our planets sure seems photoshopped to me.

If you look closely most of the sattalites are in the same position just in a different location. They appear to be cut & pasted in more than one location.

If it truely was that cluttered you couldn't even launch a rocket or space craft without hitting something.

Bringing awareness to people is one thing but using false images is just flat out lying.

I believe the other pictures are true but the last is faked.

Picture #16 is a picture painted by a computer using radar tracking data.
www.space.com...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
People are always asking me why I drink bottled water when I live in British Columbia, a Province in the country with the most fresh water reserves of any country in the world.

Then, when they get sick, I remind them that $3.50 a week (1-18 liter bottle) on bottled water for drinking isn't much to pay

And I have a REALLY good water guy. I was having some medical issues a few months back, and my doc told me I wasn't drinking enough water - told him he was crazy - I went through at least 18 litres a week (which actually turned out to be another problem, but I digress).

When he said I wasn't getting enough minerals normally found in water, he asked if I drank bottled water. When he found out who my water guy was, he switched from his
He said my water guy was SO good that he was literally pulling almost everything out of the water. I now balance out with a few drops of electrolytes in a glass of water.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It staggers the mind to think that some of the oldest civilizations on earth are so primitive.
-------------------------------------------------
Trust me, the new civilizations wouldn't be much better unless it was for all the Government rules and regulations.

If people in the Western World were left to their own devices, their environment wouldn't look much different.

If we didn't have laws dictating how corporations dispose of waste, our rivers and lakes would look the same. Your taxes pay for city sanitation - many of the citizens of these cultures don't pay adequate taxes to keep their cities running effectively, as their incomes are so low it wouldn't make any sense for their governments to tax them.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Thank you for pointing that out and contributing to the thread.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The laws enforced the western world are nazi/roman importation and even before that . Human beings do not need to be told what to do . Its natural . People say well if there was no laws people would fight and do bad things ? I think they would also . But that does not mean that good people would not outnumber the bad . And in that world you would not need laws . You would need towns and small villages with clear water flowing no armies on overpopulation just an earth with human beings growing.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Some Chernobyl Zone footage from last year. Most of it is quite safe as long as you don't touch anything. The whole Zone is over 200 miles long with two heavily contaminated areas inside.

It's quit facinating and Nature is actually recovering, there are documentries about that as well. Animal life seems to flurish, there seems to be a unknown mechanism which allows species to develop resistence to the radioactivity. I wonder how it will look like in thousand years...

There is even one about the over 300 mostly eldery People who still live there and refuse to leave. I'll post it when I find it again.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Anyone remember the "Crying Indian" commercials of the 1970's?

Some of these places drive his point home, even so many years later.

I'm as red-stated and red-blooded as they get, but holy **** what ARE we doing to ourselves??

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

There are simply just too many people on this planet!
No country should be able to have a population of a billion or more - regardless of size.

India, Indonesia need to implement birth controls and limits on children, atleast China did that already.
jesus effin christ....

Plastic also has to be outlawed...all it does it screw the environment.
That floating garbage island is indicative of this

[edit on 31-5-2010 by makinho21]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Very good thinking, that might work, that's a might big hole and it looks really really hot down there.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kybertech

Very interesting video.

There was a Russian lady that use to ride around Chenobyl on a motorcycle and investigate stuff, saw one of her videos, very spooky.

Haven't seen any videos from her since.

Good find!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for sharing.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hi there broahes!

My fellow appreciator of our fair Peach State.

As always A+ post. You find some amazing photographs my friend.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join