It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea cites Nuclear Deterrent against SK.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
[source] cnn.com

He said South Korea has aggravated what has become a grave situation, and he warned that any accidental confrontation between the countries would result in war, according to an article in the state-run Korean Central News Agency. He cited North Korea's "nuclear deterrent" to deal with such situations.

Will North Korea use their new Nuclear arsenal to deal with the threat of attack from South Korea?

Are we seeing more saber rattling or have the gloves finally come off? What would Nuclear War in the Korean Peninsula mean for the rest of the world?

On another website that predicts world war III part of the prediction was nuclear war between North and South Korea dated 1981.

[source] ww3

Far East -- "Hair-raising nuclear confrontation that threatens mankind's existence" - Peter Lemesurier, author of The Armageddon Script, p. 223, written in 1981. Includes China invading Taiwan and a nuclear eruption on the Korean Peninsula.

What reaction will China and Russia have if this turns into the next use of Nuclear Weapons on a human populous?

You thoughts?

[edit on 29-5-2010 by YouAreDreaming]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
No way would NK nuke SK, that would be devasting for both of them...
But I think it's enough of a deterent to stop SK in their tracks if they were hoping for war.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
No way would NK nuke SK, that would be devasting for both of them...

In the hands of a rational and sane leader, I would suspect this is true. However, lil' Kim is not exactly the nicest guy on the planet. I can only speculate that if pushed enough where war starts, there is a chance of course that this option can be used.

Originally posted by hippomchippo
But I think it's enough of a deterent to stop SK in their tracks if they were hoping for war.

Let's hope so, advancing in any arena with war in our current technology trend has a risk of escalating to weapons of mass destruction. There is a potential for Nuclear War, but this isn't absolute. People still can make the right choices. May peace prevail.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by YouAreDreaming]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Kim isn't insane, he has a God complex but he is not literally insane. The south is just putting pressure on the north and they in turn are making threats towards the south...typical back and forth posturing. No war on the horizon as far as im concerned, neither would benefit from it but both would pay a large price.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Right now, it's back and forth posturing, but we cannot ignore the sinking of the Cheonan which may be either legitimate, or another "Gulf of Tonkin" as some suggest.

I do believe that despite the sinking of the ship, we can still see a peaceful outcome. However, there is a probability that it will allow a pretext for a joint US and South Korean preemptive attack on North Korea.

IF war does break out, then the chance of it turning nuclear becomes even more plausible. I'm not wishing for war, personally I want peace in that region however one cannot outweigh the risks and the what if?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Kim isn't insane, he has a God complex but he is not literally insane.

Kim thinks he's god to his people, therefore delusional - therefore capable of anything.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Sabre rattling by NK.

1 Ohio class SSBN nuclear powered submarine (Trident subs) carries 24 Trident II (SLBM), each containing 12 individually targeted warheads @ 300-450 Kts each. (Nagasaki yield was 21Kts.) 1 Ohio can hit 288 North Korean targets in just a matter of minutes, while being completely undetected until the Tridents are launched.

This is what waits for NK if they set off just one of their nukes, anywhere.

What are the odds that more than 1 Ohio class SSBM's subs are in the area? Pretty good I'd say. Actually they don't have to be as the Trident II's have a range of about 6,000 miles. We can hit there from almost anywhere.

We have 14 Trident II submarines in service, lurking somewhere in the unknown depths of the oceans. 50% of our nuclear deterrent rides on these subs.

North Korea has how many of what and they will be delivered, how? And China will allow North Korea to start a nuclear attack? I doubt it.

They would be foolish to start something in which they cannot compete, thereby causing the complete decimation of their country and their people.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It strikes me that Kim is the kind of guy who doen't want to be found anywhere near an actual war.

So, would China host his retreat from N Korea? And if so, would China or Kim care if the N Korean military was ordered to toss a nuke over the line?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
Will North Korea use their new Nuclear arsenal to deal with the threat of attack from South Korea?

If they were "attacked", or felt they were in some manner or another I think they would. No one really wins if it goes that far because other nations will inevitably step in but probably not before a nuke gets dropped. I don't have too much faith in those "shields".

There have been a series of incidents attributed to the hostile actions of North Korea that have gone unanswered and I think the South is at a breaking point with the latest "alleged" attack.

Time-line:

January 1967

North Korean artillery targets a South Korean vessel, the Dangpo, patrolling in the Yellow Sea with 70 sailors on board. The ship sinks, killing 39 of the crew.

January 1968

A team of 31 North Korean commandos crosses into South Korea and breaks into the presidential palace, the Blue House, in an attempt to assassinate President Park Chung-hee. The attempt is crushed by South Korean security forces, Mr Park survives but seven South Koreans and most of the commandos are killed.

January 1968

The research ship the USS Pueblo is captured by North Korea while on a surveillance mission. One crew member dies during the capture and the remaining 82 are taken to prison camps in the North.

The prisoners are released 11 months later after the US gave an apology and assurances the vessel had not been spying - both were later retracted. The Pueblo remains in North Korea as a museum - the only US warship in captivity.

December 1969

A South Korean airliner is hijacked and forced to fly to North Korea. Dozens of passengers are taken hostage. In January, 39 of the hostages were released but the remaining 12 are not known to have been freed.
August 1974

President Park's wife dies during a second attempt on his life - she is hit by stray bullets after a suspected North Korean agent opens fire at a public function.

October 1983

North Korea bombs a hotel in Rangoon, Burma, during a visit by President Chun Doo-hwan. He survives but 21 people, including some government ministers, are killed.
November 1987

A bomb, allegedly planted by North Korean agents, explodes on board a South Korean airliner travelling to Seoul from Baghdad. All 115 passengers and crew are killed.

September 1996

A North Korean submarine runs aground near Gangneung, off the east coast of South Korea, while allegedly conducting a spy mission. The crew of 26 escape to the shore, sparking a manhunt.

Eleven of the crew are found dead, apparently shot by their compatriots, but the rest go on the run for nearly two months. One alleged spy escapes, one is captured by South Korean security forces and the rest are killed. Several South Koreans also die in the operation.

March 2010

A 1,200-tonne Corvette, the Cheonan, mysteriously goes down near the disputed maritime border with North Korea - the Northern Limit Line. Many of the crew members escape but 46 are killed. After an extensive investigation, Seoul rules that a torpedo explosion directly beneath the vessel sank it and that the only "plausible explanation" is that North Korea was to blame. BBC

If wars happens there our kids will be reading about about it in the future.
I can already see the title of the book.

GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS: The Story of the Final War For Korea.

- Lee

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS: The Story of the Final War For Korea.
- Lee

That pretty much sums up how I feel if things go to the dark side, and great avatar by the way. I love it. Karl ftw.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Wasent a prophecy by nostro or some other guy of a city at sea being destroyed before world war 3.
because the name of the ship is a city on land .so if its cryptic like hister
then cheon may be it. just a thought.
I think the torpedo and all the press,is to get rid of nk.the countrys time is up .they aint going to let little kimmy rule,I reckon daddy kimmy is mad enough to end the world if he had the stuff to do it.I hope it just goes away like all the other times .but this feels different .It dont matter who did what if they all decide to get rid of nk does it,it will happen by hook or crook

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 5/29/2010 by dashar]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dashar

There are a lot of prophecy regarding the third world war, some are funny as hell, others read to chill the bone.

My belief is that the future exists within a myriad of probability while in one probability there is nuclear war, there is another probability where there is none.

Fits in with a many worlds interpretation of quantum physics or Schrodinger's cat.

I'm hopeful that there is no war, at least the nuclear probability does not actualize.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124

Kim isn't insane, he has a God complex but he is not literally insane.

Kim thinks he's god to his people, therefore delusional - therefore capable of anything.

I would like to add ,very old and not in the best of health therefore personally he has nothing to lose and that is the most dangerous kind of person the one with nothing to lose. he may want to go out in a blaze of glory. Lets hope not.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oldnslo
Sabre rattling by NK.

1 Ohio class SSBN nuclear powered submarine (Trident subs) carries 24 Trident II (SLBM), each containing 12 individually targeted warheads @ 300-450 Kts each. (Nagasaki yield was 21Kts.) 1 Ohio can hit 288 North Korean targets in just a matter of minutes, while being completely undetected until the Tridents are launched.

This is what waits for NK if they set off just one of their nukes, anywhere.

What are the odds that more than 1 Ohio class SSBM's subs are in the area? Pretty good I'd say. Actually they don't have to be as the Trident II's have a range of about 6,000 miles. We can hit there from almost anywhere.

We have 14 Trident II submarines in service, lurking somewhere in the unknown depths of the oceans. 50% of our nuclear deterrent rides on these subs.

North Korea has how many of what and they will be delivered, how? And China will allow North Korea to start a nuclear attack? I doubt it.

They would be foolish to start something in which they cannot compete, thereby causing the complete decimation of their country and their people.

The US would have to notify China in advance or risk the Chinese assuming said Trident IIs target package is China.. or China might be smart enough to know where these subs are and consider US subs assuming a launch posture as aggressive.. they're allowed to protect their interests too.. they could have a few nukes parked off DC/Ca ready as a "check mate".

..either way, I just don't see China allowing US nukes to fly or impact that close to Chinese soil regardless of what N Korea does..

Or, maybe..conspiracy hat on.. IF China saw the US using at least some type of nuke on NK as inevitable, like chess, they could rightfully launch a preemptive strike like w bush did, "for peace" .. lol.. and to protect their interests and all that.. look how many US troops/assets are now in Chinas WMD range?.. like they have been drawn in close.. "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

I agree completely with your statements. I'm sure we have an open line to the Chinese and I expect China to step in due to their close proximity to North Korea in the event they decide to go nuclear against SK or its allies.

Both Russia and China could have subs off our coasts (they most likely do) and all 3 of us could be in a check-mate position. This is why it is imperative that China keeps the lid on Lil Kim. North Korea goes nuclear against the US forces, I wouldn't want to be in any ones shoes, especially China's.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Oldnslo

Does China even have sub-launch capability? I was under the impression all their missiles are land based and only the most advanced have the range to hit the US mainland.

I doubt anyone will go Nuclear. even in the first Korean war, when only the US and Russia had nukes, they were not used, even when the US-led UN forces were about to be pushed into the Yellow Sea. I know McCarthy was itching to use them, but he was reigned in.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
What worries me in all this is the (slim?) possibility that, in the event that NK uses their nukes on SK and/or Japan, the US will respond in kind without UN approval.

Now I don't know which direction the prevailing winds blow over there but what if some of the fallout from this were to land on Chinese soil? Or what if just one missile suffers a guidance malfunction (bearing in mind that the trident has never been used "in anger") and lands in China or worse still Russia?

I, for one, would not want to be on American soil if the above scenario played out (we in the UK also have Trident subs and I have no idea where they might be stationed at the moment)

www.royalnavy.mod.uk...

Let's hope none of those bad boys aren't within range of NK.

EDIT: China does indeed have SSBN's:
www.sinodefence.com...

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Elysarian]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Nothing but hot air North Korea knows that its Southern neighbors don't have the forces to successfully defend themselves little alone invade the North . If North Korea does invade the South it will be during or after the leader ship transition after Kim dies .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

While lil kim exerts a lot of dominance, it is the generals that will be itching to occupy the power vacuum created in his death. If any one thinks the buck will pass nice and cleanly to his eldest son(not the one that escaped N.Korea to visit Disneyland) then they are sadly mistaken. While people like to think of N.Koreans as brainwashed idiots, the simple fact is that they are not. The majority of civilians act out of fear as do many in the military. When kim dies we will see a radical change in N.Korea, for better or worse is impossible to say.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Solomons]

new topics

top topics

join