It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: 'Extremely Critical' Flaws in MS Internet Explorer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garon
where would one get this Mozilla Firefox browser?

www.mozilla.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Pffft! Only sheeples still use Explorer anyway LOL!

Opera is the best above all... Mozilla`s great too but it`s still very, very slow if you're not in on Linux.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I use IE2 and DAMN i like it alot

The only thing i dont like about it is this: When i type in the address bar a web address such as www.abovetopsecret.com it comes up saying it cant find it coz i have to type in the whole www.abovetopsecret.com... to properly access it.

Not saying i dont have ATS in my favourites...hell it's my starting webpage when IE2 loads up....i was jsut doing an example

BUt yeah IE2 rocks otherwise

I dont know how i manged ATS without it either. Now the web is just so damn easy.

And i seriously get pissed off when i go to my little online game site, and it has pop-up ads that open up my normal IE explorer.

[edit on 10-6-2004 by DaRAGE]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Spectre,

Wanted to thank you on a couple of levels. First, for your alerts in general, but more importantly for this one. In the past 3 weeks all three computers here have had this vulnerability exploited with adware. And lest anyone unaffected by this thinks this is trivial, it is not.

I hope the fix will come soon. I suggest people install one of the myriad of software packages that monitor and attempt to stop these exploits.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Hi, Val (and happy late birthday!)

I am pleased to contribute where/when I can. Check out the current, official U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team's assessment.

I. Description
There is no description of these issues at this time.
II. Impact
The complete impact of this vulnerability is not yet known.
III. Solution
US-CERT is currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem.
Systems Affected
No Information Available

Dept. of Homeland Security - USCERT

Now to be fair, they will eventually catch up to us!

Microsoft refers users of IE and their Outlook/Outlook Express email products (since HTML messages can be a vector, not to mention Instant Messaging clients) to the following page to harden their systems against the new flaws:
Increase Your Browsing and E-Mail Safety

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
i normally only go online with firefox
i just have a problem , i cant login on ATS with firefox
so im forced to use MSIE...

i know this isnt a troubleshoot topic , but you are all already discussing firefox here , guessed i could ask.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
firefox is the only way to go

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hi, Calamari. There is a
Firefox Help in the BTS "Computer Help" forum. It is about a different problem, but you can add to it or start a new thread. I have not run into that problem before, and I am using Firefox now.

On topic, I spent some time today experimenting with the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate. I can confirm that the exploits mentioned in this thread is indeed blocked by SP2. None of the active adware URLs could install software on my test machine, nor would the proof-of-concept tests.

The natural questions is whether or not Microsoft will make the public wait for SP2's official release or if they will release a hotfix in the meantime.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Main story updated with Microsoft's response and interim solution pending the release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 in late July or August. Information and the download from Microsoft's site here:
www.microsoft.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
Main story updated with Microsoft's response and interim solution pending the release of Windows XP Service Pack 2 in late July or August. Information and the download from Microsoft's site here:
www.microsoft.com...

...unfortunately, it does not appear to be completely effective. See the latest addition to the main story or read the Internet Storm Center diary entry.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Im not that up on the whole thing, but does using Netscape provide protection from those new IE vulnerabilities?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join