It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could eating dirt make you smarter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
OK, maybe not the dirt itself but a certain bacteria contained within the dirt. Scientists have discovered that a bacteria found in the soil gives a temporary increase to the intelligence of mice.

Germs in Soil Might Give Learning a Boost

Mice exposed to the bacteria got through mazes twice as fast, researchers report

TUESDAY, May 25 (HealthDay News) -- Could certain germs help you learn more easily? New research suggests bacteria could indeed, at least if you spend time outdoors and inhale or consume them.

Researchers looked at mycobacterium vaccae, a kind of natural bacteria that's found in soil. People ingest or breathe in the germ when they spend time in nature, researcher Dorothy Matthews of The Sage Colleges in Troy, N.Y., said in a news release.

Previous research suggested that the germ, when heat-killed and injected into mice, boosted levels of serotonin and lowered anxiety levels. Since serotonin levels are associated with learning, Matthews and her colleague Susan Jenks decided to feed the live bacteria to mice and see if they did a better job of learning a maze than control mice who were not fed the germ.

The mice who ate the bacteria "navigated the maze twice as fast and with less demonstrated anxiety behaviors as control mice," Matthews said.

Read more: Businessweek

If anything, it increases serotonin and decreases anxiety. Maybe it could be used to treat depression or, who knows,maybe spawn a new generation of super geniuses.

I just wonder what the side effects would be.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well it's just dirt after all.

The side effects can't be that bad.

Other than getting dirty, and that bad salty taste it leaves in your mouth.

I guess I need to get my kids together and we can "play chefs". We will make mud pies...why? Because it will make us smart. Well, only if we eat it.

Edit: Oh I just thought lol.

What if the "temporary intelligence" eating dirt gives you is this bright idea "Don't eat any more dirt". See , he got Smarter after he ate the dirt. He realizing eating dirt is dumb. Therefore he got smarter!!!!

[edit on 28-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Great find ! Be smart eat dirt !

Would be nice for learning at school
But which PTB whould want their sheeps getting smarter ?:p

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I am living proof of the side effects.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Quote from quoted source...

Researchers looked at mycobacterium vaccae, a kind of natural bacteria that's found in soil. People ingest or breathe in the germ when they spend time in nature, researcher Dorothy Matthews of The Sage Colleges in Troy, N.Y., said in a news release

So acturally you need to snort soil, if you want to be more intelligent!!!
Or maybe a compost heap, outside the entrance to every offices, air conditioning, system would work better!!!

Alternatively you could just: Grow the germs, dry them, heat them, distill their drug, and then sell it as tablets!!! You made want some kind of acid to break down, the dead germs, cell walls, and therefore release their drugs!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

=================================================

I wonder if bacterium such as Mycobacterium vaccae has/had a role to play in the evolution of our species , specifically in the regulation of Serotonin .
There has been a great movement of people off the land over the last century , we`ve also seen an increase in peoples vulnerability to mood disorders dramatically rise over this period . A connection ?

Also , another curious fact is that the prevalence of schizophrenia in urban areas is much higher than in rural areas .
Perhaps this bacteria plays a role ........

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
Quote from quoted source...

Researchers looked at mycobacterium vaccae, a kind of natural bacteria that's found in soil. People ingest or breathe in the germ when they spend time in nature, researcher Dorothy Matthews of The Sage Colleges in Troy, N.Y., said in a news release

So acturally you need to snort soil, if you want to be more intelligent!!!
Or maybe a compost heap, outside the entrance to every offices, air conditioning, system would work better!!!

Alternatively you could just: Grow the germs, dry them, heat them, distill their drug, and then sell it as tablets!!! You made want some kind of acid to break down, the dead germs, cell walls, and therefore release their drugs!

OR... you could just take a walk.

Seriously, every time I go outside, I feel better. I know, it could be the vitamin D from the sun, but even if it's raining, outside just feels better to me.

Edit to add:

This is how I meant to say what I just said
Star to you Liberal, I do think there is a connection. No doubt in my mind.

Originally posted by Liberal1984
I wonder if bacterium such as Mycobacterium vaccae has/had a role to play in the evolution of our species , specifically in the regulation of Serotonin .
There has been a great movement of people off the land over the last century , we`ve also seen an increase in peoples vulnerability to mood disorders dramatically rise over this period . A connection ?

Also , another curious fact is that the prevalence of schizophrenia in urban areas is much higher than in rural areas .
Perhaps this bacteria plays a role ........

[edit on 28/5/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

top topics

join