It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesia gives small reprieve to it's Forests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Indonesia will introduce a two-year moratorium on deforestation to help tackle climate change, the country's president has said.

Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono made the announcement in Norway on the eve of a climate conference in Oslo.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Biodiversity on planet earth is currently under extreme pressure... i believe that it is of the upmost importance to preserve and protect forests such as this.

Indonesia has only agreed to this moratorium thanks to $1bn contribution from developed nations led by Norway.

However, is this enough? Is a 2 year moratorium just delaying the inevitable simple because it’s financially viable to do so?

Controversially (to some) i think that developed nations should help to pay for the conservation of forests, and sites of natural importance, in the developing world.

We have destroyed most of our own natural Forests and wetlands in order to get to where we are... We have replaced miles of forests with city’s, industrial sites and agriculture.

Now we expect other nations to conserve their forests (unless, of course, they are required for our beef production or palm oil plantations to feed us cheaply)

So, maybe it’s the way forward. Maybe we need to start paying for conservation in other countries.

In the developed world, we have an abundance of material items and wealth... surely giving up a little of this to help protect that which sustains us is not too much to ask?

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Muckster]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It's seems all we can do is delay the inevitable my friend, there's no way on god's green earth that lesser developed countries are going to allow themselves to miss out on the rat race all the western countries are in.

The only way is to buy it right off them to save them the trouble,which again only delays the process. Fear not though, I planted a tree today

Remain Vigilant

join