It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On UFO Mythology & Post-Internet Conspiratories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The modern UFO mythology phenomenon has its origins around the time of World War Two.

During this short period of time there were more aircrafts, bombs, blimps, and other aerial objects, in the skies than any other time in human history (before or after). You may want to think about that. To me, it's no surprise at all that people started paying more attention to the sky during - and shortly after - WWII. On the contrary, it would be a natural reaction.

On the conspiracy phenomena -

I've discovered that prior to the internet conspiracies tended to stand alone. There was the conspiracy of JFK. There was the conspiracy of the Illuminati. The UFOs. Mayan calender. Eastern mysticism. Etc etc... These were individual conspiracies that, generally speaking, didn't cross over or mix with each other.

These days, every conspiracy seems somehow connected to every other.

JFK is connected to UFOs. UFOs are connected to 2012. 2012 is connected to New Age trancendence of consciousness. All of which is, in turn, connected to the Illuminati/New World Order. And that's connected to Obama (or whoever the president may be at the time!). And so on and so forth...

Conspiracies seem to be in a state of total chaos right now. It's hard to keep up, let alone choose what to believe.

For this reason I believe the internet is clouding the truth, not liberating us towards it.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

JFK is connected to UFOs. UFOs are connected to 2012. 2012 is connected to New Age trancendence of consciousness. All of which is, in turn, connected to the Illuminati/New World Order. And that's connected to Obama (or whoever the president may be at the time!). And so on and so forth

lol you do realize that that part right there sounds like it came striaght from the the ED article on ATS.
But i agree the urge for people to "connect the dots" has obscured the lines and now the conspiracy theories are all hard to follow.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I've discovered that prior to the internet conspiracies tended to stand alone. There was the conspiracy of JFK. There was the conspiracy of the Illuminati. The UFOs. Mayan calender. Eastern mysticism. Etc etc... These were individual conspiracies that, generally speaking, didn't cross over or mix with each other.

Good post Fox though I see it from a different angle. From the 60's until the Internet we were force-fed the information that TPTB wanted us to swallow. Most people accepted their version of the truth but there were active, intelligent, conspiracy communities that would not accept what they were being fed but had no way to challenge TPTB. Oh, maybe a letter to the editor but that was about it.

Comes the internet and that community now had a forum to present others with alternate theories, scenarios and proof AND, others started to listen. Maybe not agreeing but realizing that they could now respond and challenge what they were being force-fed. I feel that the Internet offers our community the opportunity to present the truth.

NOTE: I omit the JFK conspiracy because we forced Congress to investigate and report the truth (yeah, that worked).

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
One thing is for sure is that we can all agree that there is a conspiracy, yet due to the secretive nature of the global elite there is a lot of speculation. Wherever there is uncertainty, there will be speculation.

Before the internet was available, information was attained by means of books and later television. Both these pose a problem with the flow of information as they are controlled mediums. The internet is currently a haven for underground information to be discussed, and where alternate theories rise and fall.

I personally thank God everyday for having access to the internet, as I wouldn't have ever found out about serious conspiracies like 9/11. Everyone has their own opinions as to who is responsible though, but really nobody should believe anything unless they can prove it themselves.

I do agree that the speculation has overwhelmed some topics, but many people do pose good questions and provide reasonable evidence and thesis. It's always good to ask questions. If you do not understand something, then there can never be a "stupid question."

With regards to alien theories, this topic is too complex for even scientists. There are no Earthly means to come to a concrete conclusion about these topics, but as long as the reader is vigilant, they will be able to better understand which theories are accurate.

The internet is a great place for anybody to publish their own work, and for small communities to converge and discuss certain unconventional topics. The term conspiracy means agreement, and thus theories about conspiracies are just that: theories, unless they can be proven which a lot of them usually are.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as research can never be concluded really.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

"The modern UFO mythology phenomenon has its origins around the time of World War Two. "

That's definitely a popular standpoint. But the UFO phenomenon goes back thousands of years. Not just lights in the sky, but circular disc-shaped craft (to say the least!) are depicted in hundreds of pieces of art. They are referenced in countless texts. True, in 1947 it became popular. But it has always been with us.

I love this video... although being a war-time event, it doesn't help my point much =) Anyway, in my opinion it completely blows Roswell out of the water. Six people died.

edit to add, the above is a REAL photograph of the event.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Son of Will]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

JFK is connected to UFOs. UFOs are connected to 2012. 2012 is connected to New Age trancendence of consciousness. All of which is, in turn, connected to the Illuminati/New World Order. And that's connected to Obama (or whoever the president may be at the time!). And so on and so forth...

and thats the problem, or maybe questions, I have with Marrs. According to his theories EVERYTHING is connected. As entertaining and an eloquent speaker as he is, alot of that is hard to buy....

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Excellent post sir

Thank god or (state a name here;________), for the good graces of the internet and discussion boards to move the conspiracies out of the local sewing circles, coffee joints and bars to a larger arena. Even tho it opened itself up to a wider range of knots,twists and tangles from its original strings. Love it or hate it everybody enjoys a good conspiracy, just need to think logically and go with your gut at times to figure out the strings of a story and seek the bottom line truth of a situation. Some people will mix things up while the others come to sort it all out.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Wow! so are you like the REAL! Fox mulder? is that you in your avatar? I'm a huge fan of Californication.....

Anyway! I think the internet is really good. I didn't know half the things I know now before it came out. Man! those UFOs everyones talking about, I never seen one before but watching videos online has opened my eyes to all the crazy things flying around in the sky, cigar shaped, saucer shaped, all kinds of lights and stuff. It really makes you think what's out there, you know though don't you Fox, the truth my friend, the truth is out there.....

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Don't misunderstand me - I think the internet is wonderful.

But... regarding conspiracy theories, the internet has had the effect of over-complicating everything, simply due to the abundance of information.

Think of it this way - imagine a row of filing cabinets, each containing alphabetically ordered information. This is how information was accessed prior to the internet. Now blow those cabinets up so that the papers go everywhere. This is the internet. A chaotic mess of information.

Truth doesn't emerge from chaos, it emerges from order. Hence why quantum physicists look for patterns of order in their science.

If you have a truth, the internet is a great way of expressing it. The problem is - your truth will become a drop of perfume in an ocean of dirty water.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

If you have a truth, the internet is a great way of expressing it. The problem is - your truth will become a drop of perfume in an ocean of dirty water.

Those last few words paint a wonderful analogy in my mind. Did you do any writing on the show too? I'm joking of course but seriously Wow! it really does make you think though, I mean are we alone?, do aliens really exist? the truth is out there etc.

I never even knew the questions, let alone the answers until I logged into the www for the first time. Two years later and I'm feeling like I'm really getting to the bottom of things. It would be good though if all the info was alphabetized or something like you suggest and there seems to be alot of people with different views, spending time arguing with each other. Which only makes the water dirtier. S+F for you my friend

[edit on 27-5-2010 by strangleholder1]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

The internet is also a great access to online books and other research sources. To research on the internet you already need some kind of starting point. The information is there, but it's a matter of knowing where it is among all the BS.

For example Bill Cooper and Phil Schneider's videos/audios are hosted on the internet, but finding them would take a few days starting from scratch.

You just really need to know how to tell a liar from a well researched speaker. As well forums and blogs are good starting points to get orientated and familiar with conspiracy theories, but really there are great e-books and audio tapes available on the internet. Just don't buy anything, because the shills tend to give half-truths.

As long as you never believe everything you read, you'd be fine. I agree that the information is hard to find, but that's just the nature of the internet. There's probably at least a billion people who use the internet, each with their own unique ideas and opinions. As long as the information is somewhere on the internet, that's good enough for me. At least it's there.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Svoboda]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by yak055h

I think the problem is that although each and every one of the seperate conspiracies with which we, the membership concern ourselves is worthy of consideration on its own merits, there are people who get so fustrated with following each trail to its own ends, that they begin to tie them all together.
This is asking for trouble in my opinion. The answers that can be aquired from a detailed examination of political corruption , the subversion of youth, the indoctrination of the masses, is seperate to, and ought to be considered seperately from the conspiracy surrounding UFOS, aliens, and extra terrestrial tech .
Even though the protagonists might seem at times to work for the same organisations , and for the same governments, thier aims, thier orders are different. It is important to realise that following a panther will never net you a tiger. That is unless you happen to be a really terrible hunter lol.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Those are interesting points but the OP's main point was that "The internet is clouding the truth". To me this means that conspiracy theories need to be evaluated from "conspiracy-start to internet-start". When this is evaluated I feel that we who seek the truth make it a clearer sky.

Peace............yak055h

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by yak055h

Before the internet, many of us would be utterly incapable of researching the full depth and breadth of the OCEANS of video and documentation available for our observance. Although Im inclined to agree that there is an awful lot of hoaxing, delusion and stupidity out there, surely it must be better than having to walk or fly thousands of miles to each witness and try and get a repetition of thier story ?
I know I wouldnt be able to look into any of the interests I persue if it wasnt for the internet because I am pretty much poor as a dog and cannot afford to travel too far.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

top topics

join