It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf of Mexico oil spill worst in U.S. history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Venice, Louisiana (CNN) -- As BP waited Thursday to determine the success of a risky attempt to cap a well in the Gulf of Mexico, government scientists said that possibly more than twice the oil had spewed than in the Exxon Valdez disaster, making the BP spill the largest in U.S. history.

Source

So, either they are exaggerating the spill to promote some sort of agenda (as some believe,) or the defense employed by many that this spill is not the worst in U.S. history has just been destroyed.

As a skeptic, and as someone who is not a professional authority in this matter who has the faculties or knowledge to determine one way or the other, I will keep an open mind and leave conclusions to you all.

I think it's safe to at least speculate now, however, that it's at least bad enough to make such a claim seem credible, whether you believe it's really this bad in actuality or not.

Related link:
Scientists: Gulf spill far bigger than Valdez

[edit on 5/27/2010 by AceWombat04]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I never "bump" threads, but it's been over an hour now and I feel a sense of responsibility due to the continuing debates in other threads regarding the severity or lack thereof of this spill.

If these articles are accurate, they suggest that this spill may be significantly worse than Exxon Valdez, and in an area rich with ecological, economic, and human resources and reserves. As stated in my initial post, I am keeping an open and skeptical mind, but I'm a bit surprised, given the level of debate and discussion surrounding this spill generally, that no one has noticed this thread.

Just thought I'd give it another try. I won't post anymore if no one else does, however.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

worst in history?
I think that the US may be adding to the collection because i think that if its gospel that they are expectiong an increase of hurricanes and tornados, then imagine the devastation when oil and the dispersants are thrown into the equation? Everything is effected. Literally.
I came across this link, different disaster but could the outcome be the same?
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I don't know enough about the combination of oil slicks in surface and deep water and hurricanes to know whether or not there would be an effect for certain. My intuition and imagination tell me it wouldn't be good, but that isn't exactly a scientific process so I will hope for the best.

Still, the implications if it's true that this is the worst spill in U.S. history, particularly given its location, could potentially be pretty bad in my opinion.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Already posted, please continue the discussion on this thread.

Thread closed.

top topics

join