It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd Iceland volcano issues ominous warning

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

2nd Iceland volcano issues ominous warning

www.msnbc.msn.com

LONDON - A second, much larger volcano in Iceland is showing signs that it may be about to erupt, scientists have warned.

Since the start of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, which caused cancellations of thousands of flights in Europe because of a giant ash cloud, there has been much speculation about neighboring Katla.

An initial research paper by the University College of London Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction said: "Analysis of the seismic energy released around Katla over the last decade or so is interpreted as providing evidence of a rising ... intrusive magma body on the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Looks like the second one is ready to blow. Will this disrupt all air traffic again, or will it be mundane in comparison. First the Haiti earthquake, then gulf oil leak, then Iceland volcanoes, and many more to come. The sea has been turning blood red, the sky filled with dark black smoke, the earth shaking. Oh boy people, we know how it happens, but do you realize that these are predictions that have taken place 1500 years ago or longer probably. Sign of the times, open your eyes.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
i wish this thing would just blow so there wouldn't be a new thread on it every day lol :p

but yes, sounds like it is, at least it sounds like they are ramping the public up for it..

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
i really hope they are wrong about this one. if it does erupt, i guess we can kiss the summer good bye here in norway

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There has not been much seismic activity at Katla. The same MSM has also said that the eruption at Eyjafjallajökull is over. However, not one of those reporters are actually monitoring the EQ activity that is going on.

The EQ site of Iceland has been showing both deep and shallow EQ activity since the eruption 'slowed' down a week ago. Just today there was more EQ activity that shows a possible re-filling of the magma chamber:

en.vedur.is...=map

On that map, Katla is to the east, and Hekla is just off to the NW a little bit.

There have been a few EQ swarms originating with Eyjafjallajökull that do appear to run directly towards Katla, indicating that this might be true. But I am more concerened with another Iceland volcano, Bárdarbunga. If Katla is Eyjafjallajökull's bigger brother, than Bárdarbunga is Katla's bigger Father or Mother.

According to: www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Bárdarbunga, a large central volcano, had its last major eruption in 1477 when it produced a large ash and pumice fall-out deposit. It also produced the largest known lava flow during the past 10,000 years on earth (more than 21 cubic kilometers of volume).

And, it has been more active than Katla in regards to EQ's:
en.vedur.is...=map

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I live in Iceland and there is nothing on the news about this at all. I think this is hype. I´m sure it will eventually go, but nothing has changed as far as I know.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rubyeyes

There you go folks. Straight from the horses mouth. It's amazing to me
that the world is full of all of these so called experts about what is or
isn't happening in Iceland, when a person from Iceland set us all straight
about this volcano/s. If it isn't even on their news, why is it blasted all
over the rest of the world? Amazing !!

I am sure that in the next ten thousand years, that this volcano will erupt.
That is my prediction. Wait for the real news report.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
ok just been watching the katla cam and at 19:06 pm i just seen what looks like a flood of water coming down from katla towards the camera. But as the camera isnt that sharp i cant tell if an eruption is starting......

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by toepick
i wish this thing would just blow so there wouldn't be a new thread on it every day lol :p

but yes, sounds like it is, at least it sounds like they are ramping the public up for it..

I wish it wouldn't blow.... It could mean a nuclear winter for me for months to years.

It certainly isn't something to 'lol' about. Alot of deaths could occur from this.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Skellon]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
ok just been watching the katla cam and at 19:06 pm i just seen what looks like a flood of water coming down from katla towards the camera. But as the camera isnt that sharp i cant tell if an eruption is starting......

Can you please link the Katla cam?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
There will be no comparison...

This volcano, usually, erupts within a few years of it's sister volcano that already exploded.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skellon

www.ruv.is...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Thanks

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Katla is not showing signs of eruption yet. It is having the normal few earthquakes that it has every week.

This report appears to have come from an Irish newspaper scaremongering as far as I can see. The 200% increase they talk about is not exactly an increase to be concerned about when it goes from 1 to 3. Now if this was 10 to 30 then I would be concerned.

Frankly until Icelandic geologists say there is something to worry about, calm down.

Before getting the panties in a twist try looking at this site first:

Katla monitoring site

Here is the one for Hekla for good measure.

Hekla monitoring site

This is yet another example of the 'Hekla Syndrome' where Hekla was supposed to be erupting according to some tweets.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

www.ruv.is...

Can anyone else see a stationary spot above the hillside almost dead center in the sky? The clouds all go by, but this spot remains still.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
ok 8pm just seen what looks like another flood hitting the right side of the screen...can anyone else confirm with this please.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I am praying not...

Had this dream for over a week now..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
ok 8pm just seen what looks like another flood hitting the right side of the screen...can anyone else confirm with this please.

I've had the cam up for the last 15 minutes. i have no idea what cam you are looking at but it can't be Kalta. The only thing moving on the Kalta cam happens to be cloud cover.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

the flood isnt happening now....what i saw was a white snake like thing coming down going behind the hill snaking back towards that dark patch on the right hand side screen and it looks like crests of a wave hitting it. You have to keep watching it for ages to see it happen.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

www.ruv.is...

Thanks for the link.
Here is the link to the webcam at Eyeballjelloskull (sister) volcano.
eldgos.mila.is...

This one has a FLIR which is nice. Looks like it's getting a little poofy it's self.
My O My, what's the world coming to?

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Violater1]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join