It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunscreen Causing Cancer? New Study Says - Possibly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Article

The Environmental Working Group is an activist agency that recently researched 500 of the most popular sunscreen products on the market. It found that although the creams may help stop sunburn, they might be doing more harm than good. For one, they do not block out ultraviolet light. Secondly, the group claims the use of "Vitamin A" in these products may actually speed up the exposure to those UV rays and increase chances for cancer. Many doctors, however, take issue with the new findings.

"I think I would take this one with a grain of salt," says Dermatologist Brett Shulman. "At this point, there does not seem to be a large number of scientific studies that actually confirm what this group is asserting. If anything, most of the studies are really to the contrary."

I saw a segment on the news about this earlier, and decided to put it on here. The study is pretty new, so they may of found something, but then again, there still should be more study on this I believe.

I personally dont wear sunscreen, never did except when I was a little kid. Im 50/50 on this one. Im not sure to believe, or disbelieve this new study. Im going to stay inbetween on this one.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I've heard rumors about this for quite some time now. Don't know whether it's true or not. But I am trying real hard to stop using so much crap and get back to basics. I'm always so leery about new and improved things. I don't use sunscreen, even though I am fair skinned. I just take precautions about being in the sun to avoid sunburn.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I don't use sunscreen, simply because I believe it gives a false sense of security. The best thing is simply to limit your exposure.
There is no accurate way to tell exactly when what you have slathered on stops working, and you have just increased your risk of skin cancer.
In my opinion, that is why some of us fair skinned people burn easily..learn the lesson and stay out of the sun.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Yeah because it's the "vitamin A" within that's the cancer causing risk

Sunscreen is certainly harmful but just take a look at the medicinal and non-medicinal ingredients on the back of that chemical soup we call "sunscreen".

Here we are lathering it into ourselves, being told we are doing ourselves a favor. Meanwhile we completely ignore the fact that the skin is a two way street, excreting and absorbing whatever is readily applied to it.

So whether it's your regular application of "pit stick" to the underarm, conveniently local to your major lymph system, or Coppertone's SPF 30 all over your body repeatedly; they should not be used and natural, non-chemically synthesized alternatives should be sought out.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It is a horrible amount of chemical soaking into our skin, especially when it is hot and our pores are opened up. Probably goes right into our blood stream. Just read the amount of chemicals in these sunscreens, and they are convincing mothers to slather it on our kids. I was lucky, my son had nice olive (native) skin, and never burned once. I am fair skinned, and am now using a combination of Neem oil and pure Aloe vera. I have never burned yet with this and it also helps with mosquitoes. Not sure if it works with everyone, but well worth the try. It does smell funny though, like an onion ring.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I would be embarassed to go public with my study results just to say I have concluded stuff MIGHT happen. To me, that shows the study results are actually inconclusive.

new topics

top topics

join