It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Judge Forces Cancer Patient to Have "Life Saving" Surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Sir Nicholas agreed because the woman, who has learning difficulties, was deemed incapable of making a rational decision about the operation.

She had previously agreed to surgery, only to change her mind and repeatedly refuse to turn up for medical appointments, claiming a phobia of hospitals and needles.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I don't think this is good because it doesn't seem like she is in a Coma, or actually anything close to not being able to understand what "life saving treatment" is.
I wonder if this judge is also setting a "legal precedent" that could shift the law, so that we any of us could be made to accept the docters orders, in future?

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
She was deemed as not being able to make logical decisions as she seems to have some sort of learning disability.

Either way, I think it's wrong that you can be forced to do something like that, especially if it's some invasive surgery.

~Keeper

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
She was deemed as not being able to make logical decisions as she seems to have some sort of learning disability.

Either way, I think it's wrong that you can be forced to do something like that, especially if it's some invasive surgery.

~Keeper

Agreed. However, there is one simple problem here. A "learning disability" can be made up on the spot.

Heck, if we all tried hard enough, I'm sure we could find that any one of us could have "learning disabilities".

Worse, is that all it takes is two little words like that and we could be off to a padded cell. It's no longer an option that we should allow anything like this.

It's time to wake up and shout from the rooftops against this sort of action.

DN.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

I very much agree.

It's a slippery slope and it does set a legal precedent for other Judges to deam people as "incapable" for idiotic reasons and force treatment on them.

~Keeper

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by dampnickers

I very much agree.

It's a slippery slope and it does set a legal precedent for other Judges to deam people as "incapable" for idiotic reasons and force treatment on them.

~Keeper

If your unconscious due to: accident, car crash,heart attack,or some other medical condition some one else will making those decisions for you and almost certainly forcing the full extent of medical treatment on you.

It happened to me. I was operated on without my consent.
I am now a synthetic person with artificial parts which if they fail
I will be dead in minutes.

You should carry a statement with you at all times regarding what treatment you dont want, but even that is not a guarantee that you wont be some doctors next medical procedure.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Utterly chilling. It seems that now, in the UK at least, one cannot 'just say no' to drugs anymore. At least not if the drug dealer is the NHS/State.

This is a very dangerous path to tread. I wonder if this would eventually be extended to those saying no to allopathy in favor of a natural healing route to a cure?

I can see the Daily Express headlines about my mum now:

"woman with chemotherapy/colostomy phobia taken by force to local hospital for 'treatment' after disclosing paranoid delusions of self healing via natural methods to neighbour!"

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This is another example of why w must make living wills.... They are legally binding and could not be argued against in court...

Just because you have learning difficulties does not mean you are less of a person... Even with those difficulties that person is still a person who are in their human rights to make their own decisions... This is utterly disgusting...

I am all for prolonging life.. But you have the right to refuse treatment... That was that persons decision end of story

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
[edit on 27-5-2010 by dampnickers]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

Instead of throwing more meat to the lions ....... i`ll play devils advocate.

Court documents state that the woman has a “significant impairment in intellectual functioning”

......... surgeons at the woman's local hospital applied for permission to force the surgery on her. They argued that without it, advanced cancer of the uterus would kill her.

Sir Nicholas agreed because the woman, who has learning difficulties, was deemed incapable of making a rational decision about the operation.

She had previously agreed to surgery, only to change her mind..........

link

If this was a child refusing the life saving surgery , how would those charged with the child's care proceed ? What would you do ?

edit:in/with

[edit on 27-5-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers
Heck, if we all tried hard enough, I'm sure we could find that any one of us could have "learning disabilities".

Yep too right.

The police and gov can in theory murder anyone, or take anyones rights away.

Just a bunch of murderers. What right did they have to tell and order this person to have this done.

Pure scum.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
On the one hand it appears to be the Dr's Hypochratic (sp?) Oath at large , where surgeons will advise a life is saveable...hence the over rule.

On the other one could argue that if an already mentally challenged person is put under the knife without their consent , could they be experimented upon ? Given the fact their powers of communication are already challenged how could anyone argue after the event if their faculties have decreased ?

top topics

join